Poll

What are your three favorite songs off the album October, and how do you feel about the album in 2018?

Gloria
37 (27.4%)
I Fall Down
13 (9.6%)
I Threw a Brick Through a Window
11 (8.1%)
Rejoice
10 (7.4%)
Fire
3 (2.2%)
Tomorrow
23 (17%)
October
15 (11.1%)
With a Shout (Jerusalem)
4 (3%)
Stranger in a Strange Land
4 (3%)
Scarlet
10 (7.4%)
Is That All?
5 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: October: Retrospecitve  (Read 1137 times)

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
Re: October: Retrospecitve
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
October feels like a roadmap for how to get from Boy to the three albums that followed while still very much a post-punk album with its own identity. You can hear the martial drums and punch of War on I Threw a Brick and Rejoice, the atmospherics of TUF on Scarlet, the sweeping desert vistas of TJT on Stranger in a Strange Land. I can't say that I come back to it as frequently as I do for many other U2 albums, but it's still in my "very much enjoy" tier.

Online hollywoodswag

• Stateless
Re: October: Retrospecitve
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this (although I'll probably do it for a few as I catch back up), but I played the album again the other day and it might be my favorite of the first three albums. I Fall Down is still probably the only song from the album that stands among the absolute highest in my U2 rankings, but as a whole, I wound up really, really enjoying the album. My assessment of it as an album that showed promise is one I still stand by, but I think that looking at it more in the context of when it was written instead of retroactively coming down on it simply because U2 got better with time (although I still think there's validity to that simply because [pun intended] some albums are better than others) made me enjoy it a bit more.

I think I'd probably put it somewhere in my middle tier of album rankings, and likely near the bottom of that grouping, but this is an album I'm starting to truly embrace.