Poll

What are your three favorite songs off the album October, and how do you feel about the album in 2018?

Gloria
45 (27.4%)
I Fall Down
15 (9.1%)
I Threw a Brick Through a Window
13 (7.9%)
Rejoice
12 (7.3%)
Fire
5 (3%)
Tomorrow
28 (17.1%)
October
19 (11.6%)
With a Shout (Jerusalem)
7 (4.3%)
Stranger in a Strange Land
5 (3%)
Scarlet
10 (6.1%)
Is That All?
5 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: October: Retrospecitve  (Read 1777 times)

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
Re: October: Retrospecitve
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
October feels like a roadmap for how to get from Boy to the three albums that followed while still very much a post-punk album with its own identity. You can hear the martial drums and punch of War on I Threw a Brick and Rejoice, the atmospherics of TUF on Scarlet, the sweeping desert vistas of TJT on Stranger in a Strange Land. I can't say that I come back to it as frequently as I do for many other U2 albums, but it's still in my "very much enjoy" tier.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2018, 12:22:14 PM »
Sorry to resurrect this (although I'll probably do it for a few as I catch back up), but I played the album again the other day and it might be my favorite of the first three albums. I Fall Down is still probably the only song from the album that stands among the absolute highest in my U2 rankings, but as a whole, I wound up really, really enjoying the album. My assessment of it as an album that showed promise is one I still stand by, but I think that looking at it more in the context of when it was written instead of retroactively coming down on it simply because U2 got better with time (although I still think there's validity to that simply because [pun intended] some albums are better than others) made me enjoy it a bit more.

I think I'd probably put it somewhere in my middle tier of album rankings, and likely near the bottom of that grouping, but this is an album I'm starting to truly embrace.

Offline keifer

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2018, 09:16:50 PM »
this album introduced me to U2; the atmosphere in it; the raw passion; transparency;  this album holds sacred meaning and feelings for me

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2018, 09:20:50 PM »
It's fascinating to me that October, generally accepted to be on the bottom of the list of U2 albums, has by far the most responses of the Retrospective series of threads.

(As already covered in this thread, I love October.)

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 07:20:48 AM »
It seems like many of the posters here experienced October 10 or more years after it came out.  I think coming back to October after already being a fan of their later work would be a completely different experience than hearing it when it first came out.  At the time, U2 was not on the radio (other than college radio).  They were a niche act that appealed to college students who were bored with mainstream pop/rock and Christians looking for Christian music that didn’t suck.  (There were alot of Christian sound-alike versions of secular bands at the time.  It was horrible.  No real Christian artists.)

Boy and October were real art, real music that made you feel something.  You didn’t have the sheen of the Eno/Lanois years to compare it to.  It was four guys around your age that were about something greater than yourself or themselves.  The lyrics meant something and the melodies hooked you.  In that time, that was a rarity.  The Christian world, in particular, took note and U2 would come to inspire a whole crop of young new REAL musicians like Switchfoot and Jars of Clay.  The “Praise and Worship” genre evolved and you could hear “Scarlett” in their repetitive “arms up in the air” praise songs.

I think to truly appreciate these early albums you have to know the context of the times and how influential they were in the world of Christianity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2018, 04:09:31 AM »
1. Gloria
2. Tomorrow
3. With A Shout (Jerusalem)

I first started listening to U2’s music in detail shortly after NLOTH was released in 2009 so had purchased the album “October” as part of wanting to get to know the band from their early beginnings.

Initially, I was skeptical about listening to this album from reviews I’d read about it being a commercial flop and an album that the band hadn’t been fully happy with. Nevertheless, I took the plunge to see what all the fuss was about.

“Gloria” is my favourite song off this album and has been, pretty much, since first listen. Edge’s guitar is something special on this recording and his riff sounds different to anything else he created in the formative years of this band. Adam’s bass solo is funk personified and Larry’s drum beat absolutely slays throughout!

“Tomorrow” is my second favourite from this album and I have always loved the innocent and haunting nature of the music and Bono’s deft vocal pleading and yearning for his Mother. The way the song explodes to a cool crescendo towards the end is magic as well.

“With A Shout (Jerusalem)” often gets overlooked and unfairly forgotten from U2’s catalogue I reckon. It has a great beat and great melodic guitar work all topped off with a cracking early-years voice from Bono. Definitely one of U2’s more musically complex tracks from their younger years.

Listening to the album now, I tend to skip a few tracks which I’ve never really gotten into at all but, on the whole, it’s still a solid album which managed to produce a handful of great tunes!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2018, 07:06:44 PM »
The rhythm section shines on this album.  I like the energy and passion.  Some call it incomplete, but I think "October" is like an unpolished gem. 

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2018, 07:19:03 AM »
Gloria
October
With A Shout (Jerusalem)

Christian angst at its best without telling yourself and anyone who is listening that you are a miserable sinner.  Gloria is one of the best songs written by a 'Christian' band.  October poetically speaks of God being unchanging.  And With A Shout is teenage zealousy - but with a cocksure assurance of where the singer is going.  To put it into perspective; On 'Lights of Home' the singer thought he was nearly there thus displaying a maturity of faith.
With A Shout (Jerusalem) reminds me of my teenage years and when I was the age Bono was then in 1981 Zooropa was out, but I knew loads of blokes who would probably have given an arm or leg to write that song.
To put into further perspective....its funny to think that you assume that With A Shout would be written by a man and not a woman.  Is it because there weren't women writing Christian rock songs back then?  If there were, was it assumed they would write from a much softer more mystical viewpoint??
(I'm not being sexist - I'm showing up sexism for what it was back in those days).

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2018, 07:47:32 AM »
There's a very masculine energy to their music and Bono's lyrics and singing, especially those first three albums. I love it.

Bono in his youth seems like he's raring for a street brawl but when he charges at you he ends up throwing out his love instead of his fists.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2018, 07:55:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Bono in his youth seems like he's raring for a street brawl but when he charges at you he ends up throwing out his love instead of his fists.

Has he ever changed? I don't think so!

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 08:08:14 AM »
Not entirely changed but he has mellowed with age. His anger and desperation are subdued. I'm happy about that, that he has found his footing, but also enjoy going back in time and feeling that fighting energy. He is still spreading the love, but as a wise father, not the tornado youth. Love hearing from both men.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »
There's a very masculine energy to their music and Bono's lyrics and singing, especially those first three albums. I love it.

Its odd you hear him as masculine because I’ve heard Bono say he hates hearing the early records because he sounds like a girl.

I think he sounds very young also with a higher voice.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 05:51:08 AM »
I don't think he sounded like a girl even with a higher voice. But I was talking about more than that. The whole band had a very masculine sound and energy - Stranger in a Strange Land for example may have had high vocals but it's a very male song. Bono on stage had this masculine energy, strutting around, climbing stuff, sweating lol, jumping around like he was in a brawl, going into tirades. The themes in the lyrics are very much from a young man's point of view.

The fact that Bono would wear his heart on his sleeve made him different but still entirely masculine.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 07:10:44 PM »
Bono's different from a lot of guys, I agree, in that he wears his heart on his sleeve.  Nevertheless, there is a palpable male energy and lots of testosterone to spare on the first three albums.

Offline Tortuga

• Refugee
October: Retrospecitve
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
Bono's different from a lot of guys, I agree, in that he wears his heart on his sleeve.  Nevertheless, there is a palpable male energy and lots of testosterone to spare on the first three albums.

I guess it depends on what you mean by masculine but an album about a boy’s struggle to become a man is not what I think most people would consider loaded with “testosterone”.  The lyrics to “The Black Cat” about a boy being taken advantage of by a more experienced, presumably older, girl and the boy feeling troubled by it....not traditional testosterone loaded material.  Testesterone loaded would be something more like Van Halen’s Finish What You Started or Hot For Teacher.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:16:46 PM by Tortuga »