Poll

What are your three favorite songs off the album October, and how do you feel about the album in 2018?

Gloria
47 (27.8%)
I Fall Down
15 (8.9%)
I Threw a Brick Through a Window
13 (7.7%)
Rejoice
13 (7.7%)
Fire
5 (3%)
Tomorrow
28 (16.6%)
October
20 (11.8%)
With a Shout (Jerusalem)
7 (4.1%)
Stranger in a Strange Land
6 (3.6%)
Scarlet
10 (5.9%)
Is That All?
5 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: October: Retrospecitve  (Read 1903 times)

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: October: Retrospecitve
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 06:21:30 AM »
Hmm, I see your point about the nature of the songs. However:

1) They were performed with testosterone.
2) They were kind of a reinvention of maleness.

I mean, An Cat Dubh wasn't Pour Some Sugar On Me, but is it required that a maculine song be a thoughtless ode to casual sex? I mean, the songs are certainly not feminine. An Cat Dubh is definitely a young guy's point of view. "I fought fate, there's blood on the garden gate" is a very masculine take on death (as is "I thought my head was harder than ground" - I'm married to the same kind of guy, sigh).

So Bono's thoughtful lyrics weren't the stereotype of masculine, but I think they were very masculine.

His approach on love bucks the trend of men hiding their feelings (other than anger) for sure, but I feel more that he has been an unusual man wearing his heart on his sleeve in a very male way than that he has been feminine.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 06:31:44 PM »
As far as the testosterone, I was referring mostly to the very hands-on and hard-core rhythm section which dominates this album.

Online Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2018, 06:55:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As far as the testosterone, I was referring mostly to the very hands-on and hard-core rhythm section which dominates this album.

Well, I would definitely say that War has a masculine sound but not Boy and October.  I mean I guess if your going to redefine masculine to include “sensitive thinking men” then fine.  But masculine is a stereotype description and that does not fit the stereotype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2018, 07:23:27 PM »
I concede it's not stereotypical.

Still think it's masculine though.

I mean, do Boy and October strike you as the work of a girl band?

Online Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2018, 08:04:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I concede it's not stereotypical.

Still think it's masculine though.

I mean, do Boy and October strike you as the work of a girl band?

As the work of a girl band? No.

We are talking about music, not human beings.  Humans are mainly either masculine or feminine, recognizing that there are exceptions with people who are not clearly one or the other.  But music doesn’t really have gender.  So if someone describes music as being masculine, that implies to me that it has   especially masculine traits.  That its masculinity is something that really stands out.  I mean we all know Boy and October were made by men, not women.  So if we’re talking about the gender of the artists that’s pretty obvious.  But within the whole realm of music made by men, does it stand out as notably masculine?  Not to me.

If you ask me if Joan Jett made masculine music I might say yes, Because by female standards its kind of masculine.  But if Joan Jett were a man I don’t think her music would stand out as any more masculine than any other music.  I wouldn’t say Boy and October were feminine, but I also wouldn’t choose masculine as a defining characteristic.  And while I don’t agree with Bono that he sounded like a girl, I get what he means.  He doesn’t sound like Scott Stapp, which is someone who I would say has a very masculine voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk