Author Topic: Concert Boxscores  (Read 835 times)

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Concert Boxscores
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:33:39 AM »
The first box scores are in:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

interesting how they list all shows as sold out. I was at both San Jose shows and in both cases they had parts of the behind the stage upper level curtained off, hundreds and hundreds of (not good) unsold seats.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Concert Boxscores
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 09:43:15 AM »
Ggod for Pink.

I agree the sellout seems misleading. But it's possible to consider it a sellout if all available seats are sold - and the curtained area would just not count then. As for empty seats, they still could have been sold - to no-shows or burned scalpers. It's still not a sellout in the sense of say Zoo TV where there were no curtained areas, scalpers unloaded their tickets, people with the flu still dragged their carcasses to the show or at least found a friend very happy to take or even buy the ticket.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
I think they sell all the seats that they can at the highest price they can. Then, what they have been doing is dropping the price on many tickets (I paid $100 for 15th row side on night 2), and giving people in the way back free upgrades. What remains is curtained off.

I think this process hurts scalpers since one could buy face value tickets up until show time. However, I felt a bit guilt in my prime seats knowing others paid 3 X more...

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
Its also possible that no tickets were ever sold for behind the stage at certain arenas. Most concert setups are not in the round, and have a solid back to a regular stage, and those seats behind stage are not up for sale. I believe ZooTV indoor was this way.

Currently on AXS, Chris Brown's setup can be seen, and it has a regular stage, with no seats sold behind. Smashing Pumpkins is nearly identical
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 10:28:21 AM by scrittoresabino »

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »
Yeah I do feel sorta burned. I'm ok with the price I paid but loathe how far back I'm going to be. For that price I want to be in the lower section, maybe back of that section would be ok, but I'm in the back of the uppers, argh. At least decent in terms of being smack mid-arena, should see the screen pretty good. Through binoculars, maybe.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »
Yeah I do feel sorta burned. I'm ok with the price I paid but loathe how far back I'm going to be. For that price I want to be in the lower section, maybe back of that section would be ok, but I'm in the back of the uppers, argh. At least decent in terms of being smack mid-arena, should see the screen pretty good. Through binoculars, maybe.

Perhaps you'll get an upgrade. Visually, the seats get the best view

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 10:52:27 AM »
Its also possible that no tickets were ever sold for behind the stage at certain arenas. Most concert setups are not in the round, and have a solid back to a regular stage, and those seats behind stage are not up for sale. I believe ZooTV indoor was this way.

Currently on AXS, Chris Brown's setup can be seen, and it has a regular stage, with no seats sold behind. Smashing Pumpkins is nearly identical

As a ticket nerd and U2 die hard with time on my hands, I can assure you that ALL the seats were initially on sale.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »

As a ticket nerd and U2 die hard with time on my hands, I can assure you that ALL the seats were initially on sale.

If that were the case, then the U2 show would not be marked as soldout. If you look at the link, there are lots of shows by various artist they do not get marked as "soldout". That is because they were not able to sell all the tickets they released to be sold in the venue. Otherwise, everyone could just list all their shows as soldout. I've looked at concert boxscore information like this going back to 1976, and this is the way it has always been done. SOLDOUT is defined as selling all tickets released to be sold, NOT the full physical capacity of the venue. Many artist never try to sell seats behind the stage so those tickets don't get released. In U2's case, only a small number get released depending on demand and as tickets are sold in the days and weeks after the initial on sale. The few tickets that were sold in the curtained off areas got a seat upgrade.

Regardless of the soldout or not soldout lable, you can accurately judge and how they are doing based on the attendance figures and gross figures and comparing it to previous shows by the band at the same venue on other tours.

As far as the physical capacity not used for each of the San Jose shows, were talking about nearly 4,000 seats actually not used for each of the shows, a combined total of nearly 8,000 seats when looking at both shows.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 04:34:30 PM by wons »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »
The first box scores are in:

interesting how they list all shows as sold out. I was at both San Jose shows and in both cases they had parts of the behind the stage upper level curtained off, hundreds and hundreds of (not good) unsold seats.

Its unfortunate to see the decline in demand at the San Jose shows.

On the Vertigo Tour 2005, the two shows there a the SAP arena soldout at a capacity of 36,140, the true maximum physical capacity for two shows. They then came back later in the year and soldout two more shows at the Oakland Arena nearby at 36,000 plus.

On the Innocence And Experience tour in 2015, they sold out the same SAP arena at a capacity of 35,398 for two shows. Definitely weaker demand compared to the Vertigo and 360 tours.

But now on the Experience And Innocence Tour 2018, we see two soldout shows at a capacity of 28,579. Clearly much lower demand. The average price of tickets this time out is $129.58 compared to $123.90 on the Innocence And Experience Tour. Last years Joshua Tree 2017 tour may have weekend demand for these shows. If there is another leg for this tour, I don't think they will be coming back to the Bay area for a show.

Tulsa I don't have anything to compare it to since they have not played there since 1983 and the 1983 show was not in an arena. But I don't think this was a complete sellout of all physical capacity in the venue, just a sellout of tickets that were released.

The St. Louis show did 16,300 which clearly is below the full physical capacity because they soldout it out at 19,923 on the Vertigo Tour. 7 years ago, they did a 360 show to over 50,000 people. Considering that there had not been a show for 7 years, this decline I demand is a bit disappointing. But, attendance is a little more than the Elevation show in St. Louis in 2001 which did 16,051 in attendance.

So concert ticket demand for the band is falling, but should not be a surprise since the latest album has not had a hit single. As more shows are reported in the United States, we may see more similar results like this, with attendance down from where it was for same arena shows back in 2015. Last years Joshua Tree tour also may have weakened demand for this years shows.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
You must also factor, however, that they sold 50,072 tickets last year in the San Francisco area. 

This year they are getting burnt by a few factors:
1. Oversaturation
2. High Prices
3. People simply wanted to see the JT Tour MORE than this tour.

Question is, have any of the shows actually SOLD OUT in the true sense?

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:48:52 PM »
You must also factor, however, that they sold 50,072 tickets last year in the San Francisco area. 

1. Oversaturation
2. High Prices

I maintain the "4." on this list is the quality of recent albums, and I know that is subjective. I don't blame marketing, ticket prices or anything else. In the olden days we would go to 4 straight shows because they were simply the best live band ever.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 07:51:29 PM »
I felt burned about the seats too. We were also in the upper level, though sort of towards the front, and mid-arena. Not great seats though not terrible either. However, knowing that better seats became available at the price I paid, after I went to the trouble and expense of getting in on the pre-sale, really made me unhappy. And then similar seats became available at a much lower price. I have to admit that added a sour note to my concert experience. It was a good concert but it didnít make me feel as good as I was hoping and expecting. Iím seriously thinking of writing a letter to the band. Not that itís likely to do much good except get this off my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 09:20:58 PM »
I felt burned about the seats too. We were also in the upper level, though sort of towards the front, and mid-arena. Not great seats though not terrible either. However, knowing that better seats became available at the price I paid, after I went to the trouble and expense of getting in on the pre-sale, really made me unhappy. And then similar seats became available at a much lower price. I have to admit that added a sour note to my concert experience. It was a good concert but it didnít make me feel as good as I was hoping and expecting. Iím seriously thinking of writing a letter to the band. Not that itís likely to do much good except get this off my chest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luzita - I can't speak for the new Guy Oseary regime, but a letter to Principle Management would have been read and absorbed. Maybe not a response but Paul McGuinness used to run the kind of team that cared about the fans

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 07:23:57 AM »

1. Oversaturation
2. High Prices

I maintain the "4." on this list is the quality of recent albums, and I know that is subjective. I don't blame marketing, ticket prices or anything else. In the olden days we would go to 4 straight shows because they were simply the best live band ever.

To me itís more that they donít have an album great enough to overcome the other points. SOI got as mixed a critical reception as SOE and had half the world screaming about how to get it off their phones; if it were album quality alone, I wouldnít expect E+I to be selling worse than I+E. If SOE had been another instant classic, I donít think market saturation or ticket prices wouldíve made a difference, but without those factors I think SOE couldíve gotten E+I shows sold out.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 08:02:13 AM »

1. Oversaturation
2. High Prices

I believe Nashville is close to a true sellout.  There are about 100 face value tickets left.