Author Topic: Concert Boxscores  (Read 934 times)

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Concert Boxscores
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 09:40:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Its also possible that no tickets were ever sold for behind the stage at certain arenas. Most concert setups are not in the round, and have a solid back to a regular stage, and those seats behind stage are not up for sale. I believe ZooTV indoor was this way.

Currently on AXS, Chris Brown's setup can be seen, and it has a regular stage, with no seats sold behind. Smashing Pumpkins is nearly identical
As a ticket nerd and U2 die hard with time on my hands, I can assure you that ALL the seats were initially on sale.

If that were the case, then the U2 show would not be marked as soldout. If you look at the link, there are lots of shows by various artist they do not get marked as "soldout". That is because they were not able to sell all the tickets they released to be sold in the venue. Otherwise, everyone could just list all their shows as soldout. I've looked at concert boxscore information like this going back to 1976, and this is the way it has always been done. SOLDOUT is defined as selling all tickets released to be sold, NOT the full physical capacity of the venue. Many artist never try to sell seats behind the stage so those tickets don't get released. In U2's case, only a small number get released depending on demand and as tickets are sold in the days and weeks after the initial on sale. The few tickets that were sold in the curtained off areas got a seat upgrade.

Regardless of the soldout or not soldout lable, you can accurately judge and how they are doing based on the attendance figures and gross figures and comparing it to previous shows by the band at the same venue on other tours.

As far as the physical capacity not used for each of the San Jose shows, were talking about nearly 4,000 seats actually not used for each of the shows, a combined total of nearly 8,000 seats when looking at both shows.
Acts like U2 play by different industry rules, procedures, etc. than smaller acts.
If Live Nation, Guy Oseary, U2 want a show that has sold 94% of it's tickets to be listed as sold out, then it happens.