Author Topic: Who was your favorite band before U2 was your favorite band?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Who was your favorite band before U2 was your favorite band?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 12:03:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Tears for Fears
Don’t judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I liked them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
INXS.  I absolutely loved 'Shabooh Shoobah', 'The Swing', and 'Listen Like Thieves'.  Those three albums (in a row) were marvellous.  I was just a little young to see them in concert back in those days, but my oldest sister did.  I saw them a bit later for the 'Kick' album.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:57:19 PM by miracle_al »

Offline UltravioletFry

• Babyface
  • Dagen idag er min dag!
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
Bruce Springsteen is a very close second. Can not believe he hasn't been mentioned yet.

Because I haven't mention Bruce Springsteen is because he has never been my favorite before U2.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
INXS.  I absolutely loved 'Shabooh Shoobah', 'The Swing', and 'Listen Like Thieves'.  Those three albums (in a row) were marvellous.  I was just a little young to see them in concert back in those days, but my oldest sister did.  I saw them a bit later for the 'Kick' album.

I have a couple of friends who would list INXS as their favorite band before U2. They were further back for me though. But maybe top 5 at the time. Today, still top 10. We all got into INXS during the first year Kick was released. It was amazing going back and buying all the old albums and hearing all this great music for the first time. Too young to see the Kick tour. Missed them on the X tour in early 1991. It was not until the 1993 that I got to see them. I saw them twice in 1993, once in Philadelphia and once in Chicago.

I hear the done touring, but I would love to see them come back around again. It was great seeing them on the Rock Star INXS TV show back in 2005.

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
The Beatles.  I used to listen to my parents vinyl albums as a kid.  U2 became my favourite band around about 1997, when I was 20.  They are now my second favourite band of all time after The Stones.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 07:57:51 PM »
U2 has never been my favorite band, but they were pretty close in the late 80's.

Nowadays, they are probably in the 11-15 range if I had to rank my favorites.

So I guess you read and post on all your top 10 bands fan forums as well? You've got 200 post on a fan forum for a band that you only rank around 12th in your favorite list?

No.

Yes.

What is the issue?  Some of my favorite bands either don't have a fan forum anymore or have a crappy one (message boards seem to be slowly dying off).  The chatter here is interesting enough for me to read, and my reading/posting usually is at its heaviest when a new album is out or a new tour has begun.  Plus, I just love talking and reading about music.

U2 has never been my favorite band, but they were pretty close in the late 80's.

There is no way I'd be posting on a fan forum for my 11th or 15th favorite band.

Why not?

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
Interesting to see the connections to other bands.  Although The Police were the band I was into directly before I connected with U2, I had other favorites before The Police, but no one has replaced U2 since. 

As a kid, I kept a Top 10 bands list in my bedroom that I would change every week.  Weird, I know.  If I were to answer the question, "Who is your favorite band?" at different points in my life, this is probably
what I would have said.

Pre-Teen: 3 Dog Night
Early Teens: Chicago
Mid-Teens: Elton John, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith
Late Teens: The Police
Early 20's: The Police, U2, The Cure, REM (basically the entire "alternative" scene)

Then U2 pulled away from everyone else and have since had lots of 2nd favorites at any given time....
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Arcade Fire
Kings of Leon
The National
Radiohead
among many, many others!

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »

So I guess you read and post on all your top 10 bands fan forums as well? You've got 200 post on a fan forum for a band that you only rank around 12th in your favorite list?

No.

Yes.

What is the issue?  Some of my favorite bands either don't have a fan forum anymore or have a crappy one (message boards seem to be slowly dying off).  The chatter here is interesting enough for me to read, and my reading/posting usually is at its heaviest when a new album is out or a new tour has begun.  Plus, I just love talking and reading about music.

There is no way I'd be posting on a fan forum for my 11th or 15th favorite band.

Why not?

I suppose many people either don't have the time or more likely the interest in posting on a fan forum for a band they only rank as #12 in their list. Maybe your top 3 or 4 artist/bands at most, but nothing beyond that. The only fan forum's I visit are for U2 and that's because they are #1 on my list.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »

I suppose many people either don't have the time or more likely the interest in posting on a fan forum for a band they only rank as #12 in their list. Maybe your top 3 or 4 artist/bands at most, but nothing beyond that. The only fan forum's I visit are for U2 and that's because they are #1 on my list.

I can understand that, but everybody is different.  There are really only two music forums I frequent and post at regular anymore, and there are a few more where I am registered and check out here and there (this being one of them).  I just throw them in my bookmarks, and if the mood strikes me when perusing the 'net after a long day at work, I will read a little and maybe even post.  Plus, I like reading forums with a large number of posters, because a lot of traffic results in more posts, more different opinions, and more interesting reading.  Some of my top favorites are obscure artists that are very underground, with a fanbase that wants to talk about nothing but the band and/or the subgenre, and as someone who likes all different kinds of music, I have no interest in chatting with fans who only really like one kind of music. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 10:29:12 AM by Lebowski »

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 03:01:03 PM »
Chicago.  Yup, I'm old.

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2018, 06:31:40 PM »
Interesting to see the connections to other bands.  Although The Police were the band I was into directly before I connected with U2, I had other favorites before The Police, but no one has replaced U2 since. 

As a kid, I kept a Top 10 bands list in my bedroom that I would change every week.  Weird, I know.  If I were to answer the question, "Who is your favorite band?" at different points in my life, this is probably
what I would have said.

Early 20's: The Police, U2, The Cure, REM (basically the entire "alternative" scene)

Then U2 pulled away from everyone else and have since had lots of 2nd favorites at any given time....
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Arcade Fire
Kings of Leon
The National
Radiohead
among many, many others!

Give a listen to The War on Drugs my friend, you’ll add another to this great list.  :)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2018, 06:43:10 PM »

what I would have said.

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Arcade Fire
Kings of Leon
The National
Radiohead
among many, many others!

Give a listen to The War on Drugs my friend, you’ll add another to this great list.  :)

I do listen to War on Drugs, but haven't taken a deep dive yet.  I love music discovery!

Offline MPare1966

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Trying to throw my arms around the world.
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »

what I would have said.

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Arcade Fire
Kings of Leon
The National
Radiohead
among many, many others!

I do listen to War on Drugs, but haven't taken a deep dive yet.  I love music discovery!

Take a « deep dive » on « A Deeper Understanding », especially with headphones. So expansive, it’s an amazing album.

Offline kevtn43

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2018, 07:56:44 PM »
Kiss until the i heard and saw the video i still haven't found what i'm looking for that changed everything

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »
Kiss until the i heard and saw the video i still haven't found what i'm looking for that changed everything

Yeah top video!