Author Topic: Who was your favorite band before U2 was your favorite band?  (Read 2018 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Who was your favorite band before U2 was your favorite band?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Kiss until the i heard and saw the video i still haven't found what i'm looking for that changed everything

Ha! KISS.  I forgot about that moment in 7th grade when I joined the KISS Army.  My mom didn't like that.  That was well before U2!

Offline kevtn43

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2018, 02:44:35 PM »
Kiss until the i heard and saw the video i still haven't found what i'm looking for that changed everything

Ha! KISS.  I forgot about that moment in 7th grade when I joined the KISS Army.  My mom didn't like that.  That was well before U2!
Lol right and the lunch box for me

Offline pan360

• Babyface
  • The universe is beautiful but cold
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2018, 05:56:17 AM »
Before becoming a U2 fan in 1989, the first cassette I ever bought in my life was the Raw and the Cooked by Fine Young Cannibals. So young that I didn't even know how to operate the record player.  So I guess before becoming a U2 fan I was a Fine Young Cannibals fan. Even today I listen to them from time to time.

Saint22

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
I've noticed several New Wave(ish) bands that I LOVE mentioned in this thread.

I was born in 1976, so discovered them after the fact, but I have loved bands like Duran Duran, INXS, Psychedelic Furs, The Cure, The Church, The Smiths and Tears For Fears for two decades now. But I got into U2 and REM first.

The Furs might be the most underrated band of the last 40 years. People in America only know Pretty In Pink and Heartbreak Beat, and those are great songs, but there's SO MUCH MORE there.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2018, 06:05:00 PM »

I was born in 1976, so discovered them after the fact, but I have loved bands like Duran Duran, INXS, Psychedelic Furs, The Cure, The Church, The Smiths and Tears For Fears for two decades now. But I got into U2 and REM first.

The Furs might be the most underrated band of the last 40 years. People in America only know Pretty In Pink and Heartbreak Beat, and those are great songs, but there's SO MUCH MORE there.

That is a good group of bands.  I preferred The Furs, The Cure, and The Smiths out of that group along with U2 and REM.  Throw in Depeche Mode and Talking Heads for fun.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »
U2 were really my first favorite band.  Before then, I liked stuff like Huey Lewis, Hall & Oates, and Tears for Fears, and just whatever popped up on the radio that I liked.  My friends were all more into hard rock, pop metal and stuff like that.  But U2 were the first band that really inspired me to follow them more closely, and music in general--reading the liner notes, etc.  Depeche Mode and Peter Gabriel followed soon thereafter.

Offline Ron2112

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »
Rush has always been my favorite.  But U2 and Pink Floyd tie for a close second.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2018, 01:54:35 AM »

That is a good group of bands.  I preferred The Furs, The Cure, and The Smiths out of that group along with U2 and REM.  Throw in Depeche Mode and Talking Heads for fun.

I grew up on New Wave, due to my sisters' influence. Lots of Duran Duran, New Order, Cure, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Echo and the Bunnymen.

Born in 1976. My sister was a hardcore U2 and tried to convert me. I liked their songs and had to be told by her that those songs were U2. I was not in LOVE with them during Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum, like she was. They were my sister's band. I wasn't anywhere near in love with U2.

My top 5 albums just before I fell in love with U2 were:
Automatic - Jesus & Mary Chain
Kick -INXS
Nothing Shocking - Jane's Addiction
Screamadelica - Primal Scream
Doolittle - Pixies

Then Alternative / Grunge was starting to form, which I was really into. Achtung Baby hit, and this was NOT my sister's band. Nor was it anything like New Wave. It wasn't punk, and it didn't fit the mold of Alternative / Grunge. It stood out from EVERYTHING. I was hooked the moment MTV showed the video for the FLY, without giving out the band name until afterward. My punk friends were burning their older U2 records and cassettes, I got much of the back catalog for free. I was immediately immersed and in love with a band for the first time. I realized I had only had a high liking for previous albums. Achtung Baby was my first real love. ZooTV hit, and that was my first concert (bonus, PIXIES opened)

Since then, no one comes close to comparing, but still LOVE other artists
2: tie between Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Explosions in the Sky
3: tie between Bowie and Prince
4: New Order, Arcade Fire, White Rabbits
5: Chemical Brothers, Lumineers, Head & the Heart, Muse, Peter Bjorn & John, Black Keys, Kasabian
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:52:47 PM by scrittoresabino »

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:10 AM »
U2 has never been my favorite band, but they were pretty close in the late 80's.

Nowadays, they are probably in the 11-15 range if I had to rank my favorites.

Who is in that top 10?

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2018, 05:18:06 AM »

I grew up on New Wave, due to my sisters' influence. Lots of Duran Duran, New Order, Cure, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Echo and the Bunnymen.

Born in 1976. My sister was a hardcore U2 and tried to convert me. I liked their songs and had to be told by her that those songs were U2. I was not in LOVE with them during Joshua Tree and Rattle & Hum, like she was. They were my sister's band. I wasn't anywhere near in love with U2.

My top 5 albums just before I fell in love with U2 were:
Automatic - Jesus & Mary Chain
INXS - Kick
Nothing Shocking - Jane's Addiction
Screamadelica - Primal Scream
Doolittle - Pixies

Then Alternative / Grunge was starting to form, which I was really into. Achtung Baby hit, and this was NOT my sister's band. Nor was it anything like New Wave. It wasn't punk, and it didn't fit the mold of Alternative / Grunge. It stood out from EVERYTHING. I was hooked the moment MTV showed the video for the FLY, without giving out the band name until afterward. My punk friends were burning their older U2 records and cassettes, I got much of the back catalog for free. I was immediately immersed and in love with a band for the first time. I realized I had only had a high liking for previous albums. Achtung Baby was my first real love. ZooTV hit, and that was my first concert (bonus, PIXIES opened)

Since then, no one comes close to comparing, but still LOVE other artists
2: tie between Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Explosions in the Sky
3: tie between Bowie and Prince
4: New Order, Arcade Fire, White Rabbits
5: Chemical Brothers, Lumineers, Head & the Heart, Muse, Peter Bjorn & John, Black Keys, Kasabian

Lots of crossover in our tastes....BRMC, Pixies, Primal Scream!  A couple on your list, I haven't heard....I'll have to check out Explosions in the Sky, White Rabbits, and Peter Bjorn & John.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
I'm not sure I had a Bono-fide "favorite band" before ours truly.  But when I was first  really "getting into" U2 in early high school, there was a bit of heated competition with The Doors.  I was going through both bands back catalogues at the same time.  U2 were still making new music, though.  And Achtung Baby sealed the deal to the point where I understood that THIS would be my favorite band of all times, forevers.   

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 12:31:27 PM »
Queen, Duran Duran and Depeche Mode. Still love them. But in the first place they are for me U2 and Queen. No order.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »
Lots of crossover in our tastes....BRMC, Pixies, Primal Scream!  A couple on your list, I haven't heard....I'll have to check out Explosions in the Sky, White Rabbits, and Peter Bjorn & John.

YES!!! noticed that as well. Explosions in the Sky are all instrumental. Any fan of U2 and esp the Edge should love them. Swelling guitar orchestration adept at setting atmosphere and climbs to anthemic epic build

White Rabbits is harder to explain... They are not ska, but you can hear some of the influence. Maybe if you mix Oingo Boingo, Clash, and U2 you might have something close? Sadly, they seemed to have disappeared some time ago, with not a word of breakup or moving on etc

Peter Bjorn & John: The dancier stuff from Arcade Fire with more folkish tendencies?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 01:17:38 PM by scrittoresabino »

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2018, 01:35:41 PM »
[...I'll have to check out Explosions in the Sky, White Rabbits, and Peter Bjorn & John.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2018, 01:26:18 PM »
The Clash, Police, Men At Work, Duran Duran