Author Topic: Who was your favorite band before U2 was your favorite band?  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
Re: Who was your favorite band before U2 was your favorite band?
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2018, 10:06:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 has never been my favorite band, but they were pretty close in the late 80's.

Nowadays, they are probably in the 11-15 range if I had to rank my favorites.

Who is in that top 10?

Rush
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
Pink Floyd
Neal Morse
Devin Townsend
Queen
The Beatles
Yes
Genesis (mainly because of their work prior to 1983)

I am obviously a big fan of progressive rock.

U2 would be in that next tier along with Radiohead, Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult and Van Halen.

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2018, 11:49:11 PM »
Blondie and they still are my favourite or at least on a par with U2. I found an old copied cassette in my Dad's stereo cabinet of Parallel Lines in the late 80s and played it to death. A few months later I found out what Blondie (well, Debbie Harry) actually looked like and the rest is history. I discovered U2 about a year later when my cousin taped me The Joshua Tree and these two bands have been the "big two" for me ever since. Parallel Lines and The Joshua Tree are records that I'd count as two of my favourite LPs of all time. I've seen both Blondie and U2 seven or eight times and spent a fortune on records by both. Strangely, when I found the Blondie tape, I also discovered another recorded tape labelled Dead Kennedys This Tape Is Kaput. Not having a clue what it was I played that and thought there was something wrong with the tape. Little did I know that is actually what the Dead Kennedys sound like and they have since become another favourite of mine. Ziggy Stardust, Bruce Springsteen and Punk Rock followed but I'll always go back to Blondie and U2.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:13:20 AM by Marvinho »

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2018, 12:36:48 AM »
Blondie and they still are my favourite or at least on a par with U2. I found an old copied cassette in my Dad's stereo cabinet of Parallel Lines in the late 80s and played it to death. A few months later I found out what Blondie (well, Debbie Harry) actually looked like and the rest is history. I discovered U2 about a year later when my cousin taped me The Joshua Tree and these two bands have been the "big two" for me ever since. Parallel Lines and The Joshua Tree are records that I'd count as two of my favourite LPs of all time. I've seen both Blondie and U2 seven or eight times and spent a fortune on records by both. Strangely, when I found the Blondie tape, I also discovered another recorded tape labelled Dead Kennedys This Tape Is Kaput. Not having a clue what it was I played that and thought there was something wrong with the tape. Little did I know that is actually what the Dead Kennedys sound like and they have since become another favourite of mine. Ziggy Stardust, Bruce Springsteen and Punk Rock followed but I'll always go back to Blondie and U2.

I finally saw a fully Concert from Blondie, not that long ago. Garbage opened. It was a great show by both. Her new material was also great live. Could not say the same for Depeche Mode. Unfortunately I didn't jump to get tickets right away and we ended up in seats. Some woman asked me to sit down. I told her she was at a ROCK concert, which did not include the prelude "an evening with..." so she should show some respect and give back some energy and stand up

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2018, 01:37:19 AM »

I finally saw a fully Concert from Blondie, not that long ago. Garbage opened. It was a great show by both. Her new material was also great live. Could not say the same for Depeche Mode. Unfortunately I didn't jump to get tickets right away and we ended up in seats. Some woman asked me to sit down. I told her she was at a ROCK concert, which did not include the prelude "an evening with..." so she should show some respect and give back some energy and stand up

The last Blondie LP was amazing. The best thing they've done in an age. I saw the accompanying tour and the new sounds fitted in with the classics so well. You can't beat a bit of Blondie.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
Canít believe there arenít more Clash fans

Offline welshguy77

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2018, 05:34:50 PM »

The last Blondie LP was amazing. The best thing they've done in an age. I saw the accompanying tour and the new sounds fitted in with the classics so well. You can't beat a bit of Blondie.

Yes I enjoyed their last album too and have enjoyed most of their albums since they reformed in the late 90s.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »

Call me crazy, but when I finally heard all of London Calling a few years ago, I was wishing I had those x-minutes back. That style just isn't my thing.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2018, 07:22:46 AM »
Some woman asked me to sit down. I told her she was at a ROCK concert, which did not include the prelude "an evening with..." so she should show some respect and give back some energy and stand up

Arghglblbl l llgtechhGFFVJKNCDFBL LGBLG HHFFYNBHJdfh#%*^%%+*%

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:33 PM »

Originally I only mildly liked a couple of songs. I NEVER really liked that song London Calling all that much (still don't like it that much). The amount of songs I liked grew very slowly. Finally just started to dig a little deeper. Charlie Don't Surf has become an all-time favorite for me. However, so far there are very few LOVES I am finding, and the rest I am merely finding interesting or can respect the musicianship, but they don't grab or speak to me on a deeper level.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
It may have been MC Hammer haha. Or Aerosmith for a very short period of time right before I heard Zooropa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2018, 11:45:46 AM »
Dire Straits - they are why I tuned into LiveAid, and then the band with "International respect and appeal" came on stage.  Years later, Bono brigns up that is was 30 years ago they played LiveAid and they begin "Bad", and I'm fighting becoming a puddle.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
I watched a George Michael documentary last night that poor tourtured soul. I so loved George. 

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2018, 03:56:48 PM »
I watched a George Michael documentary last night that poor tourtured soul. I so loved George.

Was that the one on Reelz channel?  I was going to watch it but was a little leery of what they might have to say about him. 

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2018, 04:18:55 PM »

Was that the one on Reelz channel?  I was going to watch it but was a little leery of what they might have to say about him.
yes it was and itís was truthful

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
I was 14 when I discovered this band, so I can answer the question easily, there were none before U2