Author Topic: **SPOILERS** LA 2 U2eiTour show thread  (Read 1020 times)

Offline 3po1nt0

• Babyface
Re: **SPOILERS** LA 2 U2eiTour show thread
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 01:25:42 AM »
macphisto elements in la2 were downright nightmare inducing. loved it

Offline Drumheller

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 02:00:36 AM »
Back home from tonight's show.  Random thoughts.

1. I liked that much of the focus was songs from the last two albums, interspaced with some classics (I Will Follow, SBS, Pride, One) and some rare callbacks (All Because of you, Staring at the Sun)

2. Elevation and Vertigo played back to back is such a one, two punch.  Pure rock and roll.

3. Nary a Joshua Tree to be found.  As expected, considering their last tour.  But its the first time I've been to a U2 show without any Joshua Tree songs. 

4. City of Blinding Lights makes a great Streets Have No Name replacement. 

5. Damn, MacPhisto is back.  And Bono pulls off that top hat. 

6. Love is Bigger killed it tonight and the crowd responded.  After they finished it, the buzz in the crowd was palpable.  Then the crowd started singing the song back without being prompted.  Wow, what a moment.  Bono was taken a back. 

7. My 10th U2 show, I've never sat down for any moment of any show.  Sorry people sitting behind me.  But it's a rock and roll show. 

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:20 AM »
Feels like they should finish with Love is Bigger, although have seen quite a few positive comments around the traps on 13 being quite a poignant way to finish and brings the story full circle with the light bulb etc. Not quite sure what makes the most sense. But probably needs to say move One into the COBL position and do Streets before Love is Bigger if they want to finish with 13. Just seems to me that One, Love is Bigger and 13 are all closers and it is too much.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 03:22:21 AM »
@Drumheller @GoldenStateGirl

Soooo happy to hear that Love is Bigger's reception is growing as the tour progresses. This song deserves it. I was at Vegas1 & Vegas2, and Vegas2 the crowd really came alive singing the nonverbals after it ended. However, Bono did not notice/acknowledge so it was cut off by going into 13.

13 is a poignant closer and makes sense in terms of the arc. I would love for them to do the official closer as 13, then come back for an encore of Little Things and Love is Bigger. That combo would be killer. This keeps the story arc in place, but gives the crowd the energy they want in a closer, and would have the crowd singing as they leave

Offline kgdnelly

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
John Lovitz.  mic drop.

Saint22

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 03:46:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Soooo happy to hear that Love is Bigger's reception is growing as the tour progresses. This song deserves it. I was at Vegas1 & Vegas2, and Vegas2 the crowd really came alive singing the nonverbals after it ended. However, Bono did not notice/acknowledge so it was cut off by going into 13.

13 is a poignant closer and makes sense in terms of the arc. I would love for them to do the official closer as 13, then come back for an encore of Little Things and Love is Bigger. That combo would be killer. This keeps the story arc in place, but gives the crowd the energy they want in a closer, and would have the crowd singing as they leave

City of Blinding Lights, Streets and The Little Things are similar songs. I've always thought Streets (and Bad) were the best main-set closers for U2. With that in mind, I would close the show as such:

Last song of the main set: The Little Things That Give You Away
Encore:
Love Is Bigger
One

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »
Anyone know why they started so late?  Wonder why the cut short LA2 by one song.   Seems odd.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 02:41:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone know why they started so late?  Wonder why the cut short LA2 by one song.   Seems odd.

I've heard/read that there is a lot construction around LA Forum which caused parking issues and traffic, and that is why LA got late starts

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 07:23:53 PM »
We are getting a new NFL stadium across the street. I live 15 minutes south of the Forum on surface streets. IE: easy peasy. EI: we left home at 7:30 night one and sat down moments before MRI sounds (8:30ish).  So night two we left home at 7:00 and SAME THING, just as MRI starts!  Even with delayed start!  So even worse traffic on night two!

Sigh.

Offline desertrat

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »
Totally agree and night 2 sure felt like a better, more energetic crowd from where I was on the floor. First time to the Forum and other than the horrible traffic it was an excellent experience. The staff was amazing and just on it all night long for both nights. Had to do a few elbow blocks near the B stage (been here since 3pm, they are just starting at 9, yain't getting by us) but otherwise a good crowd all around us.