Author Topic: Why is U2 your favorite band?  (Read 328 times)

Offline UltravioletFry

• Babyface
  • Dagen idag er min dag!
Why is U2 your favorite band?
« on: May 17, 2018, 08:34:52 AM »
I'm curious, why is U2 your favorite band
.... and for those who has another why not U2?

Offline Saint22

• Wanderer
Re: Why is U2 your favorite band?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
First and foremost, the lyrics. I also like the style of music and the various incarnations they've been through. They seem like four wonderful human beings who do things for other people and give back and are kind to fans. I mean, I've never heard anyone say a bad word about any of them -- other than remarks about Bono's ego. When was the last time someone said 'Boy, I met Bono, and that dude is a JERK!'

No. they are all generous spirits and come together to be more than the sum of their parts. I'm 41 years old, and I still look up to them, and they've never embarrassed me or let me down.

Offline laoghaire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • After the flood, all the colors came out.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »
I'm interested in the "why" too.

Saint22, what you wrote is all very, very, very important to me and may be an accurate description of why I am still a fan. But it wasn't what hooked me in the first place.

I'm not sure if I understand precisely what did, but I do know it was the emotion. There was something very cathartic in a positive way. There was a love.

I felt like they were conveying something important and the songs made me feel good.

Sometimes I wonder if a lot of bands provide this, and if different bands just reach different people on that level. Or if other bands/artists provide something different to their fans.

U2 are my fave and I don't feel as strongly about any other band. But I did (do) like Pink Floyd. But they don't make me feel like U2 does.

The only artist I've felt anything like that - and not 100%, just something like it - might be surprising: Alicia Keys.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:11:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm curious, why is U2 your favorite band
.... and for those who has another why not U2?

U2 is not my favorite because there are simply 10+ bands/artists I love more.  I love all kinds of music, with art and/or prog rock being my favorite stuff, so for me, U2 cannot hold a candle to the likes of Rush, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater or Neal Morse, but I still love their music.  Heck, I could go 100 deep on a favorite bands/artists list and still express extreme fondness for number 100, so being in the top 15 is pretty special for me.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:29:52 PM »
For me whilst I had heard songs off Joshua Tree and older songs like SBS and NYD, I became more interested in U2 when Achtung Baby came out. A friend of mine who was more musically aware than me lent me the R&H DVD and it was really on watching that, that I became entranced by the raw power and energy of some of the performances. That version of SBS is so powerful and Bono is so focused, it simply drew me in and I was hooked from there. I also recall watching that video of All I Want Is You about a thousand times. From there, I think it is that they have managed to stand the test of time so well and reinvented themselves regularly enough whilst still being interesting to my musical ears.

Another thing with U2 is that often their songs don't initially appeal to me but over time I come to appreciate what I refer to layers within the music that manage to connect with me. They don't really do one hit wonder type stuff that you get sick of quickly although I might suggest Best Thing borders on that for me.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:04:44 AM »
In 1987 I was a 14 year old attending Catholic girls school in Los Angeles.  U2 had been on my radar but I mostly considered myself a pop music fan.  1987 was such a great year for rock albums, and I fell hard.  Bono was magnetic, sensual, but he sang about ideals, and about spirituality; this made him irresistible to me.  And of course, the music.  So good.

Each subsequent album's themes seemed to align with where I was in life's journey.  By the time Achtung Baby came out, I was away at college and had my first boyfriend (we are now married).  Bono's sensuality was out in full force and I "got it". 

Songs of Experience has been tough for me.  I am nearly 46 and there have been losses, pain, realizations.  He muses about losing innocence as he introduces (no spoiler) some songs on the tour, but I have to say that is bittersweet for me.  His mortality, my own mortality, it's all broken open for me to see, and I confess I don't like facing it. 

I'll always long for those innocent spring and summer days of 1987, under U2's musical spell.  But I'll be their fan no matter how old we grow.

Offline laoghaire

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:20:26 AM »
Bono was magnetic, sensual, but he sang about ideals, and about spirituality; this made him irresistible to me.  And of course, the music.  So good.

Yeah, that's a good way to put it for me. It wasn't just "baby you're the one" stuff, but big topics that felt important to me.

SOE is hitting me hard but it's felt soothing rather than frightening. Like we're all in this together, and ultimately in some way it'll be made ok, even if that seems utterly impossible and the debts too great. Bono's caring for humanity (in his way) has always been important to me and it's in full force in this album.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »
I have 2 favourite bands. I like Pink Floyd because of David Gilmour's atmospheric guitar and the sheer quirkiness and truth of their lyrics that struck a chord in me many years ago and still do.  It was the unique sound of Edges guitar that first drew me to notice U2.  With both bands it was the beauty and uniqueness of their sound and lyrics.  I don't identify with U2's current sound and lyrics anymore but they have done enough amazing stuff in the past to still qualify up the top for me.

Offline laoghaire

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »
Did you think the end of SLABT sounded Floydish?

Also, less so for me, but the atmospherism of Fez?

Are you strictly a Gilmour fan? Ok with the loss of Waters' angry edge?

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 10:40:05 AM »
Because they are the greatest live band ever: Out of Control, Bad, Gloria, Unforgettable Fire, Streets, Electric Co, Pride. They sing about something. They stand for something.

Offline summerholly

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 11:51:49 AM »
Did you think the end of SLABT sounded Floydish?

Also, less so for me, but the atmospherism of Fez?

Are you strictly a Gilmour fan? Ok with the loss of Waters' angry edge?

No to the first 2 or should I say when SOI comes up on my rotation nothing has jumped out as such.  I dont find Fez atmospheric in the same way.   I think the combination of Gilmour and Waters is the magic behind Floyd for me, they were very special, Floyd is not really Floyd without them both. As a solo artist however it would be Gilmour.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
So many answers why

Offline Luzita

• Refugee
Why is U2 your favorite band?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 12:20:07 PM »
So many answers why
There are many things I love about U2 — the deep themes in their lyrics, their unique sound, their passion as live performers, their decency as human beings. But what truly drew me to them is an emotion in their music, a joy and yearning, that is very hard to define. It is something ineffable, transcendent, authentically spiritual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:57:40 PM by Luzita »

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 03:56:51 PM »
They are good with chords, it’s why they’ve lasted this long.
They create synergy between them even now on songs, very few bands can do that well.
A singer with a huge voice.
They all bring something good individually and as a result collectively
Committed
Tribe like
Diverse attitudes to music
They’ve created some amazing recordings over the years.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
U2 are no longer my favorite band but they were for sure 15 years ago. I can basically boil it down to 3 factors:

1. Pure emotion
Bono at his best is an incredible singer who sings from his heart in a way i've heard few other singers do. The pain in songs like So Cruel and One. The falsetto in Lemon or the shouts on the early records. He was just a frontman that was absolutely fearless in showing emotions which connected with me.

2. Sonic landscapes
The sound landscapes that U2 created in the records from 1980-2000 were just incredible and I credit this more than anyone else to The Edge although the whole band and their procucers should get a lot of credit as well. It blew my mind how the same band could make War, The Joushua Tree and Zooropa. Just sonically worlds apart but all incredible albums. It still blows my mind.

3. Great songs
This is ofcourse the main factor. Without great songs all other factors dont matter. I still think the run that U2 had from Boy to ATYCLB is unmatched in terms of quality by any bands of their generation and after from a songwriting perspective.