Author Topic: Blackout live  (Read 1721 times)

Offline morph

• Refugee
Blackout live
« on: May 20, 2018, 10:37:58 AM »
This song is feeling GREAT to me live! Love the visuals they’ve put to it too. IMO it was a slightly missed opportunity in the studio given how superb it is on stage.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Blackout live
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
That's awesome! What symbolism did you see? Can't wait for my turn.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:10:07 PM »
Really enjoyed seeing it live last night.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:19:01 PM »
I only saw yt videos, but it looks like crowd gets antsy/bored with the x-files silhouettes going on for too long (like the first third of the song?). Finally when the band is revealed, the crowd starts cheering.

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 05:57:27 PM »
I saw it live twice in San Jose and I hope you love it.

On the positive side, hearing the 4 of them play it live sounded strong. They have power together.

On the negative side, the lyrics are embarrassingly bad, and the silhouette images where they seem to mime being trapped are so 1980s and extremely bad compared to the brilliance of the rest of the production.

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 12:46:38 AM »
I personally really like the silhouette stuff, the way it reveals the band in subliminal flashes. The “go easy on me” sections sound great now too with the extra guitar shimmers.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »
Like ASOH at Rose Bowl 1 last year, "The Blackout" is the song that stuck with me most.  Resonated for days.  I loved it anyway, and the tour only increased my love for it.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:04:41 PM »
I loved everything about the Blackout live.

It skillfully builds anticipation. You can hear the crowd reactions before, after and DURING the performance, in many of the videos. Most of the time you mainly hear the reactions at beginning and end, unless its a sing along, or special in some manner. Blackout is not much of a sing a long. The visuals are quite awesome. I've seen bands do the silhouette in other concerts. Its always done rather simplistically and for a very short period. On e+i it is performed brilliantly. Doing it for most of the song has a great positive impact. On a side note, there is nothing about the method execution or design that illicits any particular era. Firstly I love the choice to not make the visuals purely a direct silhouette, as stated, this has been done before. The visuals correlate to the song and band members, however, it does not just mimic their movements. The figures on screen go beyond this, they pop in and out, and they change size and shape. There is an elasticity that is purposeful and relevant (as stated, they could have easily just kept the basic shape of the band members, but a conscious choice is made to bend and twist, and go in and out.). They not only press against the screen but in some instances "tear" across it, causing rips/ripples in the white. There are also areas and moments where more detail is shown and they are not just silhouettes, again raising this above this typical use.

Artistically, these design choices all have meaning and impact. It is not coincidence that the shows starts with an MRI, then goes into a performance showing only Bono, raised above the catwalk and crowd, sing Love is All We Have Left. His movements are stiff, lights are above and below him, then... Blackout. We see silhouettes, glimpses of the band trying to break free. The imagery is still above the catwalk. Finally towards the end the screen rises, the band is grounded, on the catwalk, and are revealed right when "Blackout, it's clear, who you are will appear" kicks in. They performance is layered. It has more visual meaning than an Elevation or Vertigo, yet packs as much punch, if not more.

The performance shows a skill and mastery of building anticipation and setting the scene.(ie Jaws is effective in large part because you DONT see the shark) Right from the start, the band reveal that this is NOT going to be a typical show. Many casual fans were still looking to the Main stage at the beginning, despite the giant screen dividing the audience. This is what they are so accustomed to. This also sets the stage, literally and figuratively of not knowing exactly where to look, but the song/performance will lead you there. Pride also uses "staging" to create a feeling of chaos (in a manner that anything can happen) and immersiveness. Blackout sets the stage. it effectively informs the audience of what they are about to experience, while still fully delivering on its own message. It does so with an adept use of anticipation, that not only builds the energy but serves the song's tone and meaning. They weren't going to reveal themselves until it made sense in the song (noted earlier). You can hear the crowd react at various moments DURING the song, not merely at the usual beginning and end.

I can't wait see videos of this in Europe and if/when they take it to South America and Australia, all of which seem to have much better audiences (that being said, you can still hear the US crowds react, they just don't move that much in comparison)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:14:18 PM by scrittoresabino »

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 04:57:00 PM »
I've watched the performance but have vision and hearing impairments. Just curious:

1) Are the silhouettes a recorded video performance or is it based on live action?

2) What is the nature of the crowd reactions and specifically when (during) do they occur?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 07:17:48 PM »
Pretty sure it is pre recorded but it seems to give impression of live.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've watched the performance but have vision and hearing impairments. Just curious:

1) Are the silhouettes a recorded video performance or is it based on live action?

2) What is the nature of the crowd reactions and specifically when (during) do they occur?

Yes pretty sure most of the silhouettes are prerecorded. There may be spots toward the end, before the screen lifts up that are live.

Not sure what you mean when asking the nature of the crowd reactions. There is the more typical crowd cheering that happens when a concert first starts. Although Blackout is the second song, the crowd reaction and cheering is as if it is the first song. During the verse there is scattered yet audible pumped up screaming in the "F Yeah" mold which very much align with the song as it picks up. There are several moments of the anticipation cheering again much like what happens during a typical first song of any concert, yet it continues to happen throughout the song as glimpses of the band emerge, along with the song picking up energy. The two strongest of these moments is when the screen lifts and band is revealed, then soon after when the lights fully flash on the whole arena and the song kicks into high gear. That last moment is very much like when Elevation or Vertigo achieve maximum lift off and crowds go nuts. This is happening, but it is already growing in its intensity (both Elevation and Vertigo also grew in intensity from band and audience as their tours progressed).

There is also the roar of approval afterwards. And its gets a really big one. Additionally, during JT2017 there was quite a collective audible gasp of wonder when the screen switched from the red to the first visual display of the highway. It was stunning and breathtaking and vivid. With Blackout there is a sense of collective wonder. It comes alive in a far more massive scale and manner than during Love is All We Have Left. When you look around you can see it in people's face and their gaze. Its more a sense of the scale, and the shock of "What am I looking at?" What is happening, I've never experienced a concert like this... even though my U2 newb could clearly see a drum kit on the catwalk ahead of the show, she was still in awe and wonder during Blackout, on another level than LIAWHL, much like the difference between the Red and the Highway during Streets on JT2017. It is a MOMENT,... that keeps going
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:23:00 PM by scrittoresabino »

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 12:37:19 AM »
I thought it was one of the best songs of the night! And i couldnt even see the band

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 05:05:17 AM »
It's the Invisible of this tour.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 05:24:02 AM »
Scrittoresabino, that's exactly what I meant by my question, and your answer exceeded my wildest dreams <wipes tear>

Seriously, I'm going to read that several times because these are experiences that are important to me that I don't always get due to less sensory input.

I had been reading that during LIAWHL the crowd goes wild when B looks at them (and I think someone felt it interrupted the effect of the song). When I watched the Omaha perfomance of that song I could then understand what was going on because indeed there was periodic cheering but I thought it was brilliant. Of course it's an interesting example of how we have a guy, nearing 60, who has the effect of making tens of thousands of people yell when he looks vaguely in their direction. Sociologists or psychologists might want to explain that. (I'm going to be yelling my head off from my position 5,000 feet away).

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »
Glad there's a whole lotta love for this song live. I just wish they could somehow take what they've learnt about it from the shows and do a new studio version!