Author Topic: Blackout live  (Read 1921 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Blackout live
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 04:51:01 PM »
That's how all their songs work, it seems. Pretty good (or sometimes even just ok) on the album, life breathed into it live. That's how our guys roll, it's just the way it is.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's how all their songs work, it seems. Pretty good (or sometimes even just ok) on the album, life breathed into it live. That's how our guys roll, it's just the way it is.

Yep! I can't stand the studio version of Bad. I thinks its awful. But always live its one of my favorites

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 07:50:18 AM »
Their best intro in years, I'd say.  I might say their best since Pop, but that's also probably a bit revisionist regarding Elevation and Vertigo.  Still, it's been a LONG time since I felt like they had a well-choreographed intro with a kick-ass song.  I don't feel like they ever figured out how to start 360, and I thought Innocence really presumed a lot from the audience to just have Bono walk onstage, house lights up, trying to get everyone to sing along with a new song.  Maybe there's an element of Zoo TV with it, too, both visually (distorted images of the band on the screen) and musically (pretty obvious, but it even followed an a quieter solo Bono piece like the indoor Zoo TV shows).  After the first two songs, I was already very much on U2's side, and thought they were really playing to their strengths. 

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Their best intro in years, I'd say.  I might say their best since Pop, but that's also probably a bit revisionist regarding Elevation and Vertigo.  Still, it's been a LONG time since I felt like they had a well-choreographed intro with a kick-ass song.  I don't feel like they ever figured out how to start 360, and I thought Innocence really presumed a lot from the audience to just have Bono walk onstage, house lights up, trying to get everyone to sing along with a new song.  Maybe there's an element of Zoo TV with it, too, both visually (distorted images of the band on the screen) and musically (pretty obvious, but it even followed an a quieter solo Bono piece like the indoor Zoo TV shows).  After the first two songs, I was already very much on U2's side, and thought they were really playing to their strengths.

Excellent point! I hadn't thought about it in comparison to past tour openers. 100% agreement on 360 opener never being figured out (part of this is because it was outdoor, and in many cases it was still light outside when they started, but they fixed that on JT). However, after thinking about it, this e+i intro is better than ZooTV. It is layered, nuanced and packed with symbolism. ZooTV intro was mostly full throttle spectacle, and Popmart was theatre

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 11:03:20 AM »

Excellent point! I hadn't thought about it in comparison to past tour openers. 100% agreement on 360 opener never being figured out (part of this is because it was outdoor, and in many cases it was still light outside when they started, but they fixed that on JT). However, after thinking about it, this e+i intro is better than ZooTV. It is layered, nuanced and packed with symbolism. ZooTV intro was mostly full throttle spectacle, and Popmart was theatre

Better than Zoo TV?  Well, them's fightin' words, but it definitely reminded me of it.  I feel like they've really gone for the "less choreographed" intros in recent years, all the way back to Elevation.  Coming out with house lights up, or at least feeling like it's a pretty stripped back, "4 guys on stage" thing.  I've always preferred a bit more drama with the intro, and this delivered.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
I could see this as being a better intro than Zoo TV intro.

PopMart intro - if Bono had his voice during that tour, omg, that would easily be number one for me. I'm hopping up and down just watching the videos. (And The Edge... omg).

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 02:06:16 PM »

Better than Zoo TV?  Well, them's fightin' words, but it definitely reminded me of it.  I feel like they've really gone for the "less choreographed" intros in recent years, all the way back to Elevation.  Coming out with house lights up, or at least feeling like it's a pretty stripped back, "4 guys on stage" thing.  I've always preferred a bit more drama with the intro, and this delivered.

It definitely has much more meaning and subltely than ZooTVs intro. ZooTV was massive powerful and in your face. It was a full on sensory barrage, and definitely offered anticipation. I don't think The Fly can be considered part of the intro. With Zoo Station we saw the full band on the main stage early into that song. With e+i, that is a 2 song intro. We don't see the band until the end of Blackout, and it teased it the entire way. The reveal itself and its timing is symbolic and meaningful. I don't think we can say as much for ZooTV. It was far more sensory overload and certainly set the tone.

However, every aspect of the intro for e+i is performed with symbolism and meaning: The MRI; the sounds of a hospital; Bono alone; Bono moving stiffly; Bono raised above the audience; Bono between soft blue light below and above him; the light envelops him; we don't see the band; silhouettes and distorted shadows of themselves appear, raised above, trying to break free from the light; lights eventually flood the whole arena; band is revealed, band is grounded and fairly level with the audience at center catwalk (rather than stage: main or e) which is low comparative to all other catwalks. Every part of speaks to the meaning of the songs album and tour, while still delivering bigger than life spectacle.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:16:12 PM by scrittoresabino »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »
That's an AMAZING description! I also noticed the light "scans" him during LIAWHL.

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm for it, though I think maybe things are being analyzed here that really don't warrant it.  (Bono moving stiffly?)  I know they tend to put meaning in a lot of what they do, and this tour, like I+E, certainly has a lot of stuff done with intention.  Doesn't necessarily mean I *like* it more--I like Blackout, but it's no Zoo Station--but I certainly give them credit for creating something that's meaningful.

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
The Blackout does not work because the band is hidden inside the screen during the performance. Just imagine all members playing on main stage with no screen. That would be so much better. The whole opening is boring compared to 2015.

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 02:43:15 PM »
The Blackout does not work because the band is hidden inside the screen during the performance. Just imagine all members playing on main stage with no screen. That would be so much better. The whole opening is boring compared to 2015.

Man.  Different strokes, I guess.  I thought the intro to the SOI tour was just not that great a start--not a great song (honestly might be my least favorite from the album), Bono just walking on-stage with the house lights up and trying to get the crowd to sing along with a new song that hadn't started yet.  The "reveal" when the lights finally hit during Blackout was electric by comparison.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »
I think the opener is going to be awesome.  However, I confess I loved the "Miracle" opening, too. 

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 12:26:06 AM »

Man.  Different strokes, I guess.  I thought the intro to the SOI tour was just not that great a start--not a great song (honestly might be my least favorite from the album), Bono just walking on-stage with the house lights up and trying to get the crowd to sing along with a new song that hadn't started yet.  The "reveal" when the lights finally hit during Blackout was electric by comparison.

Johnny Feathers, agreed. Saying Blackout doesn't work because you don't see the band, is like saying Jaws doesn't work because you don't see the shark - when it is uniformly studied and analyzed that the lack of seeing, or holding back (as long as possible) on that which is desired, is what builds tension and anticipation and increases desire. Tension is a key element in the song Blackout and in its tone

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 07:05:36 AM »

Johnny Feathers, agreed. Saying Blackout doesn't work because you don't see the band, is like saying Jaws doesn't work because you don't see the shark - when it is uniformly studied and analyzed that the lack of seeing, or holding back (as long as possible) on that which is desired, is what builds tension and anticipation and increases desire. Tension is a key element in the song Blackout and in its tone

Indeed. Not to mention, the song is ABOUT darkness/not seeing. It’s one I could practically hear the set/lighting conversations going into it, and how they reflect the song’s subject matter.

Actually, as someone else said, the same can very much be said for Invisible from I+E.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 08:26:46 AM »

Have you seen a show yet?