Author Topic: Blackout live  (Read 1918 times)

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
Re: Blackout live
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 11:01:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Blackout does not work because the band is hidden inside the screen during the performance. Just imagine all members playing on main stage with no screen. That would be so much better. The whole opening is boring compared to 2015.

Man.  Different strokes, I guess.  I thought the intro to the SOI tour was just not that great a start--not a great song (honestly might be my least favorite from the album), Bono just walking on-stage with the house lights up and trying to get the crowd to sing along with a new song that hadn't started yet.  The "reveal" when the lights finally hit during Blackout was electric by comparison.

Johnny Feathers, agreed. Saying Blackout doesn't work because you don't see the band, is like saying Jaws doesn't work because you don't see the shark - when it is uniformly studied and analyzed that the lack of seeing, or holding back (as long as possible) on that which is desired, is what builds tension and anticipation and increases desire. Tension is a key element in the song Blackout and in its tone

Have you seen a show yet?
Went to Vegas1 and Vegas2

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 11:12:19 AM »

Have you seen a show yet?
Went to Vegas1 and Vegas2
[/quote]

Ok.

I don't want to fight but I do think that the opening in 2015 with 4 band members on main stage playing Joey Ramone/Electric Co./Vertigo/Follow was a lot more exciting than in 2018. (LIAWHL Bono only inside screen, Blackout all four inside screen, LOH partly in screen, then BD and Follow.   

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »
There is no fight. You have an opinion. Other people have opinions. Everybody gets to share. It's cool.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
I certainly appreciate your enthusiasm for it, though I think maybe things are being analyzed here that really don't warrant it.  (Bono moving stiffly?)  I know they tend to put meaning in a lot of what they do, and this tour, like I+E, certainly has a lot of stuff done with intention.  Doesn't necessarily mean I *like* it more--I like Blackout, but it's no Zoo Station--but I certainly give them credit for creating something that's meaningful.
His movements during Love is All We Have left are decidedly stiff. His lack of movement stands out, and they are slow and measured, intentionally. It is noticeable live and even more pronounced on videos, not meant to be subtle at all. The difference from that song to the rest is very pronounced. It's no coincidence that it follows the closeups of the MRI. This continues the story.

In terms of elements having meaning, I fully appreciate that an audience does not have to like the execution more or less. It is however an objective element/device that can be determined if it was used or not. So, one can objectively determine if something has more layers. An audience may or may not take to that.

I LOVE ZOOTV, it has been the gold standard. But there have been parts or elements of other tours that far surpass ZooTV for me. Rewatching any tour video, I want to see ZooTV above all else. The ZOOTV opening has never been my favorite aspect... Though comparative to any other band, it far exceeds anything Ive seen. I enjoyed the house-lights-on no-nonsense entrance of Elevation. It was unexpected, no frills, and completely match the tone of the album and where they were at the time. Similar low-key entrances on tours after that have not had a powerful impact, in my view,

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
There is no fight. You have an opinion. Other people have opinions. Everybody gets to share. It's cool.

There is no them. There's only us.  :)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2018, 12:16:16 PM »
YES!!

Also I 100% agree the stiff movements of LIAWHL are 100% purposeful and meaningful.

I could probably write an entire thesis on the themes of this show.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
YES!!

Also I 100% agree the stiff movements of LIAWHL are 100% purposeful and meaningful.

I could probably write an entire thesis on the themes of this show.

haha, same!  As a comparison. Im obsessed with Love is Bigger (written many a comment on how the show would be 10000x better if the main set ends with 13, thus keeping the narrative arc for the main set. Then come back for an encore, which most everyone sees as separate, with One, Little things and ending with Love is Bigger, everyone singing the "ohs" as they bow and and we leave). Ive been watching every live performance I can of it. On that song, Bono doesn't move that much. So you can see the difference clearly. He has natural motion on Love is Bigger even though he doesn't move all that much, versus the lack of movement and slow measured methodical gestures he makes during LIAWHL.

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
Whoever compared this to Jaws is on the money; it’s a dark, distorted striptease - with echoes of the dramatic intros to ZooTV and Popmart.

Fair enough if some people prefer the meat & veg “hello, we’re a band” intro approach, but I know which angle I prefer!