Author Topic: Do you think the SOE Tour will start up again next year?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
Do you think the SOE Tour will start up again next year?
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:46:31 PM »
Since they did the JT Tour last year and I haven't heard any rumors that it will come back to the US, I'm guessing it is over after the last show this year.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Re: Do you think the SOE Tour will start up again next year?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
No, done. They aren't selling out. They've had 3 "busy" years by their standards. I fully expect a break - then after a few years Bono will say they are back to "punk rock" and release another snoozer of an album. Hopefully that tour will see more rare and classics than new songs like this one. Just my personal prediction.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
I absolutely think they will go to Asia next spring and then be done. They said multiple times last fall they had interest in Japan and Australia. Might even do a Japan DVD.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:53:28 PM »
As an Aussie living in Asia, I sure hope they to an Australasia leg. To have not done I&E and JT30 there is bad enough, so strongly hope they tour there. That will be it for some time then if they do do that. Think they will be suffering from over-exposure to try and do too much more than that. Not sure if South America could also be an option.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:49:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No, done. They aren't selling out. They've had 3 "busy" years by their standards. I fully expect a break - then after a few years Bono will say they are back to "punk rock" and release another snoozer of an album. Hopefully that tour will see more rare and classics than new songs like this one. Just my personal prediction.

Far better to hear the new songs than the old ones. It shows that they are an active band as opposed to all the bands that just try to get by on songs from decades ago. Its also consistent with most of U2's 40 year career to this point.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 12:54:58 AM »
I think there is a chance that 2019 may not see any shows as they record "Songs Of Ascent" and release it at the end of the year. Then, in early 2020, they will kick off the Songs Of Ascent tour in Australia before moving on to the rest of the world. Its possible, not definite. I also think the band may not be so concerned about selling out every show, or doing a 100 date tour for each album. This could mean a faster album release and tour cycle over the next few years.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 11:35:32 PM »
Songs Of Ascent will not happen, I'd bet money on that. I believe that after this tour finishes (whenever that is) we will have silence for a few years, peppered with the occasional hollow promise that an album may be coming.
And if they skip Aus/NZ for the third tour in a row then that would be a pi*s poor effort.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 12:03:15 AM »
Songs Of Ascent will not happen, I'd bet money on that. I believe that after this tour finishes (whenever that is) we will have silence for a few years, peppered with the occasional hollow promise that an album may be coming.
And if they skip Aus/NZ for the third tour in a row then that would be a pi*s poor effort.
I think the gap between tours (assuming theres no ZooTV30) will be equal or greater than the 4 years between 360 and IE. Their songwriting is getting slower. Songs of Experience is just leftover material from writing songs of innocence.

Online laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:15:21 AM »
I think the gap between tours (assuming theres no ZooTV30) will be equal or greater than the 4 years between 360 and IE. Their songwriting is getting slower. Songs of Experience is just leftover material from writing songs of innocence.

I don't think you understand. Songs of Experience is not leftover Songs of Innocence material at all. They were conceived as an idea together, to do both albums as a concept on the theme of innocence and experience. No leftovers involved anywhere.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »

Bono said in his last major interview that Songs Of Ascent is still on track. Would make a nice trilogy which this band so often has done in their career. I mean, I don't see any reason for it not to happen. It may take them 3 years to get it out instead of a quick year of recording. So the timing I can see being questioned, but not the fact that they will eventually release it.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »

I don't think you understand. Songs of Experience is not leftover Songs of Innocence material at all. They were conceived as an idea together, to do both albums as a concept on the theme of innocence and experience. No leftovers involved anywhere.

But you do realize half the song titles were announced in 2014/2015 around the time of SOI release right? Get out of your own way, There is a light, Red Flag Day, Landlady, Little More Better, Little Things(previously called Morning after Innocence), and Love is Bigger are all old titles. Edges wife leaked Love Is All we have Left.

Adam posted the Blackout in July of 2016. And Best thing leaked August 2016. That’s only two new additional titles (as far as we know) and even then the album wasn’t released until December 2017. Summer of Love was being produced in early Spring 2016 by One Republic in Italy.

Sounds like leftovers to me. And it took 3+ years to cook them when they were already prepped beforehand for some time. Which makes me laugh when people say they’ll have an album out in 2-3 years.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 02:36:43 PM by 64ac30 »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 02:44:33 PM »
I'm kinda hoping they'll finish for a bit.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
I ultimate wish is that they go to Australia New Zealand and Asia on this tour. Many fans on here have been wishing on that for years.

Then I hope they come back for a ZooTV30 tour, after. Edge and Willie Williams have been interviewed saying it is very possible since they did JT2017

Online laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2018, 06:52:12 PM »

But you do realize half the song titles were announced in 2014/2015 around the time of SOI release right? Get out of your own way, There is a light, Red Flag Day, Landlady, Little More Better, Little Things(previously called Morning after Innocence), and Love is Bigger are all old titles. Edges wife leaked Love Is All we have Left.

Adam posted the Blackout in July of 2016. And Best thing leaked August 2016. That’s only two new additional titles (as far as we know) and even then the album wasn’t released until December 2017. Summer of Love was being produced in early Spring 2016 by One Republic in Italy.

Sounds like leftovers to me. And it took 3+ years to cook them when they were already prepped beforehand for some time. Which makes me laugh when people say they’ll have an album out in 2-3 years.

No. Not leftovers. A concept released in two albums. What you have observed is a delay in releasing the second, not leftovers. That would be like saying The Empire Strikes Back was leftovers.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 07:17:54 PM »
I would bet a lot of money that Songs of Ascent never happens. They will take a break for quite a while after this tour.

Zoo TV30 is interesting to consider. With lots of talk about AI and robots etc, they might see a connection back to elements of Zoo TV. I think it would be worth them doing it even if only 10-15 dates in each of US and Europe. JT30 was so successful, it would be an obvious money grab for them which unfortunately does seem to be a factor.