Author Topic: Do you think the SOE Tour will start up again next year?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
Re: Do you think the SOE Tour will start up again next year?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 07:57:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Songs Of Ascent will not happen, I'd bet money on that. I believe that after this tour finishes (whenever that is) we will have silence for a few years, peppered with the occasional hollow promise that an album may be coming.
And if they skip Aus/NZ for the third tour in a row then that would be a pi*s poor effort.
I think the gap between tours (assuming theres no ZooTV30) will be equal or greater than the 4 years between 360 and IE. Their songwriting is getting slower. Songs of Experience is just leftover material from writing songs of innocence.

I don't think you understand. Songs of Experience is not leftover Songs of Innocence material at all. They were conceived as an idea together, to do both albums as a concept on the theme of innocence and experience. No leftovers involved anywhere.

But you do realize half the song titles were announced in 2014/2015 around the time of SOI release right? Get out of your own way, There is a light, Red Flag Day, Landlady, Little More Better, Little Things(previously called Morning after Innocence), and Love is Bigger are all old titles. Edges wife leaked Love Is All we have Left.

Adam posted the Blackout in July of 2016. And Best thing leaked August 2016. Thatís only two new additional titles (as far as we know) and even then the album wasnít released until December 2017. Summer of Love was being produced in early Spring 2016 by One Republic in Italy.

Sounds like leftovers to me. And it took 3+ years to cook them when they were already prepped beforehand for some time. Which makes me laugh when people say theyíll have an album out in 2-3 years.

No. Not leftovers. A concept released in two albums. What you have observed is a delay in releasing the second, not leftovers. That would be like saying The Empire Strikes Back was leftovers.

If itís material that was started during the first album, and released on the second, I consider it leftover. The concept is done poorly imo considering both albums have innocence and experience. The point Iím making is that people donít seem to understand how long it really took to make SOE- it wasnít material started from scratch after the 2015 tour, but it was in the works for a few years now. Hence why we shouldnít expect another album and tour so soon

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »
Maybe Songs of Ascent will be released posthumously.  :(

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

No because SOI = SOA

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 05:15:16 AM »

No because SOI = SOA

Songs Of Ascent is an album with lots of songs like Mercy and Winter, both of which will be on it in final forms. Its still being cooked. Then there is the Rick Rubin produced album which is in the freezer but will eventually be defrosted and cooked as well.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »
Songs Of Ascent will not happen, I'd bet money on that. I believe that after this tour finishes (whenever that is) we will have silence for a few years, peppered with the occasional hollow promise that an album may be coming.
And if they skip Aus/NZ for the third tour in a row then that would be a pi*s poor effort.
I think the gap between tours (assuming theres no ZooTV30) will be equal or greater than the 4 years between 360 and IE. Their songwriting is getting slower. Songs of Experience is just leftover material from writing songs of innocence.

I don't think you understand. Songs of Experience is not leftover Songs of Innocence material at all. They were conceived as an idea together, to do both albums as a concept on the theme of innocence and experience. No leftovers involved anywhere.

But you do realize half the song titles were announced in 2014/2015 around the time of SOI release right? Get out of your own way, There is a light, Red Flag Day, Landlady, Little More Better, Little Things(previously called Morning after Innocence), and Love is Bigger are all old titles. Edges wife leaked Love Is All we have Left.

Adam posted the Blackout in July of 2016. And Best thing leaked August 2016. Thatís only two new additional titles (as far as we know) and even then the album wasnít released until December 2017. Summer of Love was being produced in early Spring 2016 by One Republic in Italy.

Sounds like leftovers to me. And it took 3+ years to cook them when they were already prepped beforehand for some time. Which makes me laugh when people say theyíll have an album out in 2-3 years.

Just because they had ideas of what the songs were doesnít mean the songs were album-ready. Titles on Pop show up in the the background on the Zooropa album cover, but that doesnít mean that Pop is an album of leftovers. U2 take a long time to process their songs, for good or ill. They donít just whip a track out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 06:31:10 PM by ian ryan »

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 08:17:45 PM »

Just because they had ideas of what the songs were doesnít mean the songs were album-ready. Titles on Pop show up in the the background on the Zooropa album cover, but that doesnít mean that Pop is an album of leftovers. U2 take a long time to process their songs, for good or ill. They donít just whip a track out.

Additionally, it is well documented that Bono and U2 were heavily inspired by William Blake's books of poetry by the same names, which are separate volumes which refer back to each other. The idea of separate albums that are a meant to be a pair was a concept from the beginning. So to say Songs of Experience are leftovers, is a complete falsehood that takes no account from what the band have said, nor the origins or the concepts of the albums, nor the intent. It is like trying to say Empire Strikes Back is leftovers because some of the ideas, characters and other aspects were known or leaked before release.

Also, many songs from almost all U2's albums, were first conceptualized from previous sessions. This doesn't just happen with U2. It also doesn't just happen with songs or music, but almost all ideas. They don't initialize and come to fruition and into final form cleanly and neatly. Sparks fly, pieces form, aspects are worked on, some take off, and things change along the way. Its part of the creative process. Timing, luck, serendipity, dynamic and chemistry all play a part.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:42:04 PM by scrittoresabino »

Online laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 06:04:03 AM »
In addition, there were a couple of things that happened that delayed the release of SOE: Bono had a significant medical experience that he not only needed a bit of recovery from, but he really needed to work that experience into the album, which he did, and which took time. And while he was at it, he also wanted to work in some reactions to the political landscape that has risen in the meantime as well.

None of this remotely makes a planned sequel into leftovers. Just delayed. And delays don't turn things into leftovers either.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »
You guys are missing my point. The completed songs are not leftover. The material at the very start was leftover from the innocence recording sessions. It was started during that time period- doesnít mean it was 50%, 75% 30% complete etc. The final version Every breaking wave contains leftover material from Songs of Ascent/post NLOTH. No U2 material gets trashed, it evolves.
But more importantly, What Iím trying getting at is the songs have been cooking for much longer than 2 years after the innocent tour. Which is why I donít believe weíre anywhere near the next album.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
In addition, there were a couple of things that happened that delayed the release of SOE: Bono had a significant medical experience that he not only needed a bit of recovery from, but he really needed to work that experience into the album, which he did, and which took time. And while he was at it, he also wanted to work in some reactions to the political landscape that has risen in the meantime as well.

None of this remotely makes a planned sequel into leftovers. Just delayed. And delays don't turn things into leftovers either.

Youíre right, delays donít makes things a leftover. Delays make leftovers into things. Teehee

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »
Adam just said in an interview with Rolling Stone they are thinking of taking the tour to Australia, Japan, Southeast Asia, and then back to Europe.