Author Topic: Achtung Baby Anniversary Tour?  (Read 979 times)

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
Re: Achtung Baby Anniversary Tour?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 12:54:39 AM »
Things most people said/thought would never happen, until they happened:
  • Joshua Tree played in its entirety
  • Where the Streets Have No Name, NOT being played at a concert
  • Where the Streets Have No Name, NOT being played on a tour
  • No Joshua Tree songs throughout a tour
  • Acrobat being played live, ever
  • Acrobat being a tour staple
  • Miss Sarejevo being played live
  • Miss Sarejevo becoming a tour staple
  • Over 50% of the setlist coming from the last 2 albums (since ZooTV)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:54:06 AM by scrittoresabino »

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 07:42:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Didn't they basically already do an Achtung Baby anniversary tour on the latter legs of 360 though?

The same songs they've culled from on every tour since ZooTV:

The Fly (Elevation, 360)
Real Thing (PopMart, 360)
End Of The World (PopMart. Elevation, Vertigo, 360, I+E, E+I)
Mysterious Ways (PopMart, Elevation, Vertigo, 360, TJT)
One (all of them)

That's not the five that would make an Achtung Baby show special. Acrobat is on this tour, Ultra Violet was on the first legs of 360 and TJT. The rest? I think Wild Horses has been played about 10 times since 1992 (and night 1 this year of course), Love Is Blindness like twice, and Tryin' To Throw Your Arms and So Cruel are MIA.

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:43 AM »
Yes please! The Joshua Tree tour was 10X better than this one, and Achtung would be as well. They won't have to rope off the unsold seats like they are now.

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 02:59:02 AM »
If this tour happens, and I hope it does, I wonder if the show itself will be Zoo TV 2.0 or something entirely different.
"Zoo.com"?

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 03:03:07 AM »
I think one of them said somewhere that if they did this it would be the ZOO.com tour.  I don't want them to do it, as it would be another step into nostalgia, but I would definitely go see it and would be utterly psyched about it.
TJT 2018 was not a step into nostalgia. They didn't play the album in sequence order in 1987, they didn't include any old footage of themselves on the amazing video screen and they played a new song no one had heard before as a reminder that they were/are still intent on f___ing the past and kissing the future with a new record and tour.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
I think one of them said somewhere that if they did this it would be the ZOO.com tour.  I don't want them to do it, as it would be another step into nostalgia, but I would definitely go see it and would be utterly psyched about it.
TJT 2018 was not a step into nostalgia. They didn't play the album in sequence order in 1987, they didn't include any old footage of themselves on the amazing video screen and they played a new song no one had heard before as a reminder that they were/are still intent on f___ing the past and kissing the future with a new record and tour.

I agree those aspect are new, but it is still a Nostalgia trip when you are not promoting a new album of songs.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »
Yes please! The Joshua Tree tour was 10X better than this one, and Achtung would be as well. They won't have to rope off the unsold seats like they are now.

U2 is best when they are playing brand new songs and promoting a new album. Its the new songs that are the most exciting to hear live. I still love the old stuff, but I have heard and seen all that over 21 different shows. Plus they still play old songs when they are promoting a new album. U2 are not Def Leppard and Journey that are doing a massive tour right now without any of them promoting new songs and playing primarily songs from the 1980s. U2 are still that band from 1991 that is writing and recording new music and exploring what's out there. They do not want to be the nostalgia band that plays the local state farm show or fair every year.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »

Achtung Baby will turn 30 in 2021, 3 years from now. By that time most members of U2 will be 61. They probably won't have any more anniversary tours after that, due to age, and albums that they may deem as worthy of such a tour.

61 is not old, nor does it mean someone has to retire. Mick and Keith of the Rolling Stones turn 75 this year and I believe Charlie Watts their drummer turns 77 today. The Rolling Stones are selling out 60,000+ stadiums throughout Europe this summer. U2 probably have another two decades(the 20s and 30s) before they even have to think about the possibility of retirement.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
Bono solo tour 2035:

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 01:22:41 PM »

I agree those aspect are new, but it is still a Nostalgia trip when you are not promoting a new album of songs.
Not if the band says its not and designs the show so that its not.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 01:35:13 PM »
Just judging by facial expressions, the band didnít look as happy as they do now, when they did JT. That only good things to come from that tour was exit and Little Things.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 02:01:12 PM »
I the Tribute to a past Album thing is over folks.

They will pull something cool together with AB songs Iím sure but it wonít be ZooTV 2020

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 06:23:15 PM »
I the Tribute to a past Album thing is over folks.

They will pull something cool together with AB songs Iím sure but it wonít be ZooTV 2020

Maybe they will put out another box set for the 30th. I never got the 20th anniversary box set, although I did get both the 20th and 30th anniversary box sets for the Joshua Tree. Yet, my favorite album of all time is Achtung Baby.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 06:25:15 PM »
Bono solo tour 2035:

That is a picture of Bono's dad at age 67. So that would be 9 years from now given that Bono is 58, or 2027. Somehow, I don't think Bono is going to look like that in 9 years.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 06:40:09 PM »
Bono solo tour 2035:

That is a picture of Bono's dad at age 67. So that would be 9 years from now given that Bono is 58, or 2027. Somehow, I don't think Bono is going to look like that in 9 years.
He looks like is Mom you can see it in the pics they put up on the screen.

Wow how personal is this for the Showman, thanks for letting us in and taking us on this journey.