Author Topic: Likelihood of 2019 North American tour?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
Re: Likelihood of 2019 North American tour?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also, I'll go further out on a limb and the band may shock us all when they quit touring after Dublin 4. What better place to finish than Dublin? End with 40 and walk off into the myst.

The US shows would have been sold when they‘d have told this (the EU shows are sold out anyway). Live Nation is a business, and so is U2, and that’s why I don’t think (and don’t hope) that!
They will take are longer break I think, and they have already mentioned another album. So this won’t be there last tour, and I really really really hope that I am right!

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 10:15:40 PM »
After Dublin 4, the next shows need to be Australia/NZ/Japan. Great fans down there and they deserve to see them play. But there's a good reason U2 haven't played there since Vertigo...it's beyond expensive to mount a world tour in those parts and Live Nation is a business, and so is U2.

Also, I'll go further out on a limb and the band may shock us all when they quit touring after Dublin 4. What better place to finish than Dublin? End with 40 and walk off into the myst.
Other than Japan, those countries got shows during the 360 tour.

Still far too long ago.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 04:22:40 AM »
There's no announcement or a strong rumor of even one show after Dublin 4.

I've said this before and I'll go out on a limb...I think the band's touring day
s are numbered and this current US leg maybe the last one

Why do you think this? Do you have any evidence?

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 06:08:47 AM »
The band (who knows about Larry, though) have said they want to keep going, so unless Larry has given them his notice, they aren't planning for this to be it.

Who knows if circumstance will interfere of course.

I want them to take a break from touring just to reduce the overexposure, but I sure do hope to see them again.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 11:02:44 AM »
They could probably milk another 25-30 show leg out of North America next year.  It’d mostly be single night engagements, and there’d be a lot of rear stage upper level seats being curtained off, like we have seen at some shows on this tour.

Honestly, most of the US and Canada has had plenty of opportunities in the last few years.  Give Australia/NZ/Asia a proper tour, and maybe another run through Europe next summer.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 12:00:38 AM »
After Dublin 4, the next shows need to be Australia/NZ/Japan. Great fans down there and they deserve to see them play. But there's a good reason U2 haven't played there since Vertigo...it's beyond expensive to mount a world tour in those parts and Live Nation is a business, and so is U2.

Other than Japan, those countries got shows during the 360 tour.

And none on I/E and likely none this tour either.

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 12:05:22 AM »
There's no announcement or a strong rumor of even one show after Dublin 4.

I've said this before and I'll go out on a limb...I think the band's touring day
s are numbered and this current US leg maybe the last one

Why do you think this? Do you have any evidence?

No announcement or rumor of Aus/NZ/Japan shows is plenty of evidence. The band is ending this tour in Dublin, SOE wasn't birthed easily, none of their albums are anymore, Live Nation deal is ending in March 2020 and the band, via their best lawyers in the business, can wiggle out of the rest of the contract from Dublin 4 and the next 16 months. It's called a buyout. And if U2 want to stop touring after Dublin 4, they will. And, what better place to end than Dublin?

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 12:07:29 AM »
They could probably milk another 25-30 show leg out of North America next year.  It’d mostly be single night engagements, and there’d be a lot of rear stage upper level seats being curtained off, like we have seen at some shows on this tour.

Honestly, most of the US and Canada has had plenty of opportunities in the last few years.  Give Australia/NZ/Asia a proper tour, and maybe another run through Europe next summer.

They've saturated the US the last 3 years with 3 different tours, ticket sales weren't exactly bonkers, they screwed up with the ticket pricing/verified fan, etc. They're not doing another American tour with E/I, and as I've posited, I believe these are the last US shows on a full scale tour.

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 03:28:26 AM »
That's nonsense... the can have any other upcoming Dublin show being their last one. They won't quit after this tour!

Bono in Rolling Stone interview: "Do you feel like you lucked out?
Lucked out? I am the f****** luckiest man on Earth. I didn't think that I had a fear of a fast exit. I thought it would be inconvenient 'cause I have a few albums to make and kids to see grow up and this beautiful woman and my friends and all of that. But I was not that guy. And then suddenly you are that guy. And you think, "I don't want to leave here. There's so much more to do." And I'm blessed. Grace and some really clever people got me through, and my faith is strong."

If they're doing more albums, they will tour.

Edge said in the Joshua Tree Q magazine special something like "Me and the other guys are not done yet"

And here...well it's Sun, but anyway: "After a mystery life-changing event Bono says U2’s history is too precious that they ‘can’t break up or mustn’t die’"

And: they could have milked the cash cow even better... if they'd announced this as their last tour, all the US concerts that weren't sold out would have been sold out, aside from even higher ticket prices that everyone would have paid.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:34:54 AM by Catlithco »

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 08:47:47 AM »
Adam discusses the band's 2019 plans:

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »
They dont need much notice too sell an Oz/Nz/Asia tour they coud well drop dates after the summer the demand would be MASSIVE we know that they know that i think Stadiums down there would be much better for them.
Yeah we aint herd owt but they dont need too say anything @ mo also they could run just 1 entire leg in EU nx year it would sell easy £££££ for them.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2018, 05:52:16 PM »
They dont need much notice too sell an Oz/Nz/Asia tour they coud well drop dates after the summer the demand would be MASSIVE we know that they know that i think Stadiums down there would be much better for them.
Yeah we aint herd owt but they dont need too say anything @ mo also they could run just 1 entire leg in EU nx year it would sell easy £££££ for them.

I think they will keep it in Arenas. The show is designed for arenas. Plus, they have not done arenas in Australia and New Zealand since like 1989. That's 30 years without any arena shows down under. I figure if they go down under, it will be arenas, but with several dozen shows.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »
Now that Adam says they are thinking about shows in 2019, I think that increases the likely hood for U.S. and Canada shows in markets like the following:

Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Miami
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Columbus OH
Detroit
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle
San Diego
Charlotte NC
Atlanta
Salt Lake City

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
Now that Adam says they are thinking about shows in 2019, I think that increases the likely hood for U.S. and Canada shows in markets like the following:

Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Miami
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Columbus OH
Detroit
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle
San Diego
Charlotte NC
Atlanta
Salt Lake City

He had no mention of interest in returning to the US, only Europe and Asia.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
If stadiums are the only way they can go down under, them DO IT!  For U2, an arena show makes them about $2 million.  Last year for Joshua Tree, they were averaging $6 million per night.  They could probably do about 10 stadium gigs in Australia/New Zealand.  Then maybe some shows in the pacific rim... Japan, Singapore, Thailand, South Korea, etc.  Coldplay just recently did a very successful stadium tour of Asia, hitting those countries and more.  Then in the summer of 2019 do some stadiums in Europe.  Hit some of the less frequently played countries/cities.  I’ll think up a list later.