Author Topic: Likelihood of 2019 North American tour?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Likelihood of 2019 North American tour?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 06:42:44 PM »
Here's where a 2019 stadium tour could visit.

Athens
Budapest
Istanbul
Vienna
Bucharest
Prague
Warsaw
Moscow
Helsinki
Stockholm or Gothenburg
Oslo
Munich
Frankfurt
Another German show
Zurich
Brussels
Amsterdam
1 or 2 Italian shows, probably not in Milan or Rome
1 or 2 Spanish shows
1 or 2 French shows, maybe not Paris
Dublin
Dublin
2-3 UK shows

Auckland
Auckland
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Brisbane (not sure if Brisbane could do a 2nd show, as the 2nd show on 360 was quite undersold)
Adelaide
Perth
Perth

(This hypothetical Asian leg is just what Coldplay did on their 2017 stadium tour.  U2's tour would obviously look different.  I'm not sure if U2 could/would do the same thing.)
Tokyo
Tokyo
Singapore
Singapore
Bangkok
Manila
Taiwan
Taiwan
Seoul
Seoul
Mumbai, India
Abu Dhabi

Under no circumstances should they come back to the US/Canada.  Demand here is TAPPED.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 04:42:07 AM »
& also did they not do there 1st tour in 1979 3-Tour that be 40 years nx year they could well do something for that im sure there will be a 2019

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 05:42:28 AM »
There is zero chance of another North American tour.  Just look at the current leg and I'm sure U2 and Live Nation are noticing it.  There have been empty seats and curtained off sections reported at most show so far.  I'm sure U2 will not be in these parts for another 4 years, in order to create demand again.

A combination of playing 3 tours in 4 years + currently playing loads of new songs from both SOI and SOE + High ticket prices + a very static, fixed and no variety set (unless you consider alternating Gloria and Red Flag day giving variety) = sluggish sales.

Just look at the evidence from 2015 I&E and now:
8 shows New York to 3 shows
5 shows LA to 2 shows
4 show Boston to 2 shows
5 shows Chicago to 2 shows
and tickets still available for most shows still (although U2 reports every show a sellout, I guess they don't see the curtained off sections, it must be an ego thing.  Are they the only band that does this.  I don't think even the Stones do this).

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 06:39:05 AM »
As a N.Amer. fan I feel like they shouldn’t play NA again for at least a few years.  When was the last time we had 3 different tours in 4 years? Perhaps around the War album? I personally consider myself fortunate to be able to go to one show on each of those tours. I look forward to seeing them here in 4-5 years. Until then they should do what they want to do. A tour in Aus/NZ/Japan/SE Asia would make a bunch of money in stadiums, but if they don’t want to tour next year, they shouldn’t.  I feel like they could adapt the e/I stage to go larger, but I’ll leave that for a different post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 06:45:32 AM »
If they tour again I'm thinking it could be a while - to build up that ticket demand. Still not convinced they will do another major tour after this one.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 08:56:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There is zero chance of another North American tour.  Just look at the current leg and I'm sure U2 and Live Nation are noticing it.  There have been empty seats and curtained off sections reported at most show so far.  I'm sure U2 will not be in these parts for another 4 years, in order to create demand again.

A combination of playing 3 tours in 4 years + currently playing loads of new songs from both SOI and SOE + High ticket prices + a very static, fixed and no variety set (unless you consider alternating Gloria and Red Flag day giving variety) = sluggish sales.

Just look at the evidence from 2015 I&E and now:
8 shows New York to 3 shows
5 shows LA to 2 shows
4 show Boston to 2 shows
5 shows Chicago to 2 shows
and tickets still available for most shows still (although U2 reports every show a sellout, I guess they don't see the curtained off sections, it must be an ego thing.  Are they the only band that does this.  I don't think even the Stones do this).

Nope, the Stones and lots of artist are able to say SELLOUT because they sold all the tickets they chose to release to be purchased. Thats how its been done since at least 1976. If you tightly moniter how tickets are selling, you have a better chance of ensuring a sellout. You start with releasing a number of tickets the first day that is probably below what you think the band can sell. In the hours and days that follow, you only release more tickets based on how things are selling.

Some promoters for other artist either don't do this or are not very good at estimating demand as their shows end up with tickets unsold. But even in those cases, the capacity listed is often NOT the full physical capacity of the venue. So in many of those cases, a SELLOUT would still not be a sellout in this sence that all available physical capacity in the venue was used.

As for another leg in North America, they would not return to LA, San Fran, D.C., Philly, NY, Boston, Chicago and some other places. But there is demand in other places like Dallas, Houston, Toronto, Miami, Tampa, Minneapolis etc. Plus it these other cities it will have been TWO years since the Joshua Tree tour, a whole full EXTRA year for demand to recover. So its definitely possible, and may even have some better results than what has been seen in 2018 because the shows in 2018 were only a year or less after the Joshua Tree shows in 2017.

Another factor is that places like Dallas, Houston, Miami and Tampa have not seen any shows for the latest albums and only the Joshua Tree stadium shows in 2017. By 2019, I think they could do multiple arena shows in each city.

Finally, just because the band or artist does not sell every seat, does not mean they can't tour, should'nt tour etc. All these shows are making huge profits, even the ones that don't sell seats behind the stage.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 08:57:40 AM »
Still not convinced they will do another major tour after this one.

Why?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
Now that Adam says they are thinking about shows in 2019, I think that increases the likely hood for U.S. and Canada shows in markets like the following:

Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Miami
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Columbus OH
Detroit
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle
San Diego
Charlotte NC
Atlanta
Salt Lake City

He had no mention of interest in returning to the US, only Europe and Asia.

I know, but the fact that there are shows anywhere in 2019 increases the chances of a second leg in the United States. Dallas, Houston, Minneapolis, Tampa and Miami could all do great business for U2 as well as Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 10:21:25 AM »
Why are people so obsessed with U2 winding up? The guys are in their late 50's - hardly old by todays standards! I can see them having a couple of years off and coming back with a new campaign! It's in their blood its what they do - yes, i know anything can happen to people at any stage of life etc and they don't NEED the $$ that's for sure, But there's still plenty of life in the band yet thats for sure and i believe SOE proves that, it's a fantastic album. Adam has already talked last year of an album beyond SOE so i can't see some big 'this is our last show ever' kind of thing just yet

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »
Still not convinced they will do another major tour after this one.

Why?

Simply because I see an extended break and it’s wherher they want to come back for a big tour. Might do shows but not a full blown tour.  Also not sure all band members would be up for it.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
Larry - I don't know.
Edge and Adam - really enjoy what they do and want to keep going.
Bono - will flipping die if he doesn't keep going.

So if Larry's on board, they will keep going.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 06:48:27 PM »
Despite what adam said, I’m doubtful we’ll see the tour return to the USA and Europe. I think they’ll do 2 months in Asia and Aus next year and then go away for 4 years. They seem to be tired of touring, people tend to forget about the flying aspect in touring thats draining
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:55:37 PM by 64ac30 »

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 06:49:17 PM »
Also I really doubt they will create a stadium show for this...

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 07:10:36 PM »
Also I really doubt they will create a stadium show for this...

Yep, I don't see how it would be possible from a technical point of view.

What might be interesting is if they did a combined arena/stadium tour of places like Australia/Asia. Dust off the TJT30 set for the stadiums and use the E+I set for the arenas. Play one stadium and one (or more if there is demand) arena gig in each city. The Stones did this a few years ago, so it can certainly be done. Two questions - is it economically feasible, and does the band want to do it?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 10:02:49 PM »
They seem to be tired of touring, people tend to forget about the flying aspect in touring thats draining

If you think flying is draining, how about driving? B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year before he passed at 89 and I think a lot of that travel was on the road.