Author Topic: Likelihood of 2019 North American tour?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Likelihood of 2019 North American tour?
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 10:05:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Still not convinced they will do another major tour after this one.

Why?

Simply because I see an extended break and itís wherher they want to come back for a big tour. Might do shows but not a full blown tour.  Also not sure all band members would be up for it.

U2 has always has had extended breaks at least since ZOO TV in 1993. They always come back. Why do you think they wouldn't this time?

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »
They seem to be tired of touring, people tend to forget about the flying aspect in touring thats draining

If you think flying is draining, how about driving? B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year before he passed at 89 and I think a lot of that travel was on the road.

Ok, but itís still time away from family. Being U2 is their job. While they have fun, it is work and time away from home. 2 years away from home already is a bit of time. And itís not just the 4 of them. Itís the whole team, stage crew, chefs, Terry lawless, roadies, etc. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:34:16 PM by 64ac30 »

Offline Catlithco

• Stateless
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2018, 02:42:13 AM »
They seem to be tired of touring, people tend to forget about the flying aspect in touring thats draining

If you think flying is draining, how about driving? B.B. King was still doing 100 shows a year before he passed at 89 and I think a lot of that travel was on the road.

Ok, but itís still time away from family. Being U2 is their job. While they have fun, it is work and time away from home. 2 years away from home already is a bit of time. And itís not just the 4 of them. Itís the whole team, stage crew, chefs, Terry lawless, roadies, etc.

Ali seems to be happy with that:

I can imagine that Bono at home... doing Ąnormal lifeď, is a bit Ąannoyingď... I think IĎve read that somewhere, maybe in one of the U2 books.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »

If family was a problem for them, they would have stopped in the mid-1980s when Edge started to have his first kids. The most critical time when families have a need to be together for most of the year is when there is young children involved. All their children are adults now except for Adams. So the family is actually less of an issue now for the band as a whole.

Even when the band tours now, they still get time off to unwind and see family or relax. For 2018, they are doing 59 shows in about 6 months with one big two month break in the middle of that time. Plus what they enjoy most about their work if you an call it that, is actually playing live. The band love what they do, and if they just wanted to stay home or drink at the beach, they had enough money to do that for the rest of their lives back in 1990 without ever touring or recording ever again.

Take the rock star Sting. He'll be 67 in October. He is worth over $350 million dollars and has 6 children. Yet, he tours every year even if he does not have a new album to promote. Music is a passion and its like breathing for them. This was their favorite hobby, fun time, when they were teens. They are not going to stop doing it especially since they achieved financial independence decades ago. You could essentially say these artist retired in the 1980s and in retirement are doing exactly what they want which is writing music, recording albums and touring. Do you ever stop doing, what you love doing, in retirement(defined here as being finanically independent)?

It really is just the four of them, because everyone else involved, the crew etc, have come and gone already for whatever the reason. If the soundman Joe retires tomorrow, U2 will continue. Plus their certainly not going to stop because their favorite fork lift driver or truck driver moved on.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2018, 09:59:47 AM »
I agree with your post but I wouldn't dismiss Joe or Dallas etc. so lightly. Absolutely they would keep going but these guys aren't nothing to them.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »

If family was a problem for them, they would have stopped in the mid-1980s when Edge started to have his first kids. The most critical time when families have a need to be together for most of the year is when there is young children involved. All their children are adults now except for Adams. So the family is actually less of an issue now for the band as a whole.

Even when the band tours now, they still get time off to unwind and see family or relax. For 2018, they are doing 59 shows in about 6 months with one big two month break in the middle of that time. Plus what they enjoy most about their work if you an call it that, is actually playing live. The band love what they do, and if they just wanted to stay home or drink at the beach, they had enough money to do that for the rest of their lives back in 1990 without ever touring or recording ever again.

Take the rock star Sting. He'll be 67 in October. He is worth over $350 million dollars and has 6 children. Yet, he tours every year even if he does not have a new album to promote. Music is a passion and its like breathing for them. This was their favorite hobby, fun time, when they were teens. They are not going to stop doing it especially since they achieved financial independence decades ago. You could essentially say these artist retired in the 1980s and in retirement are doing exactly what they want which is writing music, recording albums and touring. Do you ever stop doing, what you love doing, in retirement(defined here as being finanically independent)?

It really is just the four of them, because everyone else involved, the crew etc, have come and gone already for whatever the reason. If the soundman Joe retires tomorrow, U2 will continue. Plus their certainly not going to stop because their favorite fork lift driver or truck driver moved on.

U2 would never cancel a whole (already) planned tour because of a loss of a crew member but I donít think you understand how close and personal u2 really is with their crew. And the crew doesnít have it easy, they travel with the gear directly to the next venue to get it setup. Finding other people to take over would be quite difficult considering the band would need to build trust in new people that it can be done.

And you say the band is perfectly fine away from family. But I disagree. Bono announced in concert an apology to his son Eli who was at graduation. Adam has a pretty young child too (5 years old now?)  Itís moments like that the band misses.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 06:13:58 PM »
The new interview with the Edge makes it sound like thereís an urgency to finish the tour.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »

U2 would never cancel a whole (already) planned tour because of a loss of a crew member but I donít think you understand how close and personal u2 really is with their crew. And the crew doesnít have it easy, they travel with the gear directly to the next venue to get it setup. Finding other people to take over would be quite difficult considering the band would need to build trust in new people that it can be done.

And you say the band is perfectly fine away from family. But I disagree. Bono announced in concert an apology to his son Eli who was at graduation. Adam has a pretty young child too (5 years old now?)  Itís moments like that the band misses.

Its moments like that the band has been missing since 1985! There are less of them now since all of Larry's, Bono's and Edge's children are adults or will be by next year. Adam has two children, but the older one you mention is being raised by his mother whom Adam is not married to. Given that the band toured while the rest of the band had a total of 12 children under 18 at various points from 1985 till now, I don't think he is going to insist that they stop.

I do understand how close and personal U2 are with the crew. I've met many of the crew as well as the band nearly 26 years ago. U2 are professionals and have worked with thousands of people since 1980 in different capacities. This is not something that would stop them.

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »
The new interview with the Edge makes it sound like thereís an urgency to finish the tour.

You've toured a lot in the past few years. Will you take a long break when this one ends?
I think there's been three tours that have been on each other's heels pretty quickly. I would say that we'll probably take a little bit of a break at the end of this tour and regroup. There's lots of ideas for the next records, but I think a bit of time off just to listen to music and to really feed our creative instincts is in order.

That sounds like business as usual, nothing urgent.

He is also NOT quoted saying that the tour will end at the end of THIS year.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 12:01:38 AM by wons »

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2018, 05:41:13 AM »
Im sure this will be a proper world tour they have not done it since 360 & EU will get a 2019 run just cos it quiet dont mean anything @ mo they dont need much notice too sell Oz/Nz etc im guessing Sep time we may start hearing things

THE SUSPENSE.......!!!!!!!!

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »

You've toured a lot in the past few years. Will you take a long break when this one ends?
I think there's been three tours that have been on each other's heels pretty quickly. I would say that we'll probably take a little bit of a break at the end of this tour and regroup. There's lots of ideas for the next records, but I think a bit of time off just to listen to music and to really feed our creative instincts is in order.

But it will end this year

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »

But it will end this year

Don't tell that to people in Australia, New Zealand and Japan. Their expecting to finally see U2 in January/February 2019.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #57 on: Today at 10:24:05 AM »
I think Bono's pretty much confirmed that there will not be any more shows in parts of North America at least next year - or for some time.  This doesn't necessarily mean the end.  Just that they're done with some places for now.
From Philadelphia Night 2:

Offline wons

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #58 on: Today at 12:32:03 PM »
I think Bono's pretty much confirmed that there will not be any more shows in parts of North America at least next year - or for some time.  This doesn't necessarily mean the end.  Just that they're done with some places for now.

He is talking specifically to people in Philadelphia. He was not talking to the people in the following cities:

Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Miami
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Columbus OH
Detroit
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle
San Diego
Charlotte NC
Atlanta
Salt Lake City

Each one of those cities has a chance for a show in 2019 in addition to Australia, New Zealand, Japan and maybe some more cities they have yet to play in Europe.

It would be odd, for U2 to skip an entire decade when they released two albums and not promote those either of those two albums with tour stops in Florida or Texas, two of the three most populated states in the United States, the largest country they play and the wealthiest country in the world.

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #59 on: Today at 01:57:16 PM »

He is talking specifically to people in Philadelphia. He was not talking to the people in the following cities:

Dallas
Houston
Tampa
Miami
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Vancouver
Toronto
Pittsburgh
Columbus OH
Detroit
Minneapolis
Kansas City
Denver
Phoenix
Seattle
San Diego
Charlotte NC
Atlanta
Salt Lake City

Each one of those cities has a chance for a show in 2019 in addition to Australia, New Zealand, Japan and maybe some more cities they have yet to play in Europe.

It would be odd, for U2 to skip an entire decade when they released two albums and not promote those either of those two albums with tour stops in Florida or Texas, two of the three most populated states in the United States, the largest country they play and the wealthiest country in the world.

Ya! Thereís is a great possibility still for them to return to USA and finish cities they didnít play. Many cities still!