Author Topic: Does Cover Art Still Matter?  (Read 395 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Does Cover Art Still Matter?
« on: May 24, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »
I was just looking at a snapshot from Apple Music of the last 12 albums I played. visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 I was enjoying the cover art and wondered if it mattered anymore.  Are there any blogs that discuss/rank best of year, etc? 

I think fans generally prefer the SOE cover over the SOI cover, is that right? 
Out of all U2's covers, I like WAR.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Does Cover Art Still Matter?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:28:34 PM »
Yes, I prefer the SOE cover to the SOI.  I agree, War is a great cover.  I actually also like "October" and "Unforgettable Fire" a lot.   "Joshua Tree" is a very iconic cover, too.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:52:24 PM »
I'm just old enough to know what it was like to put on a record and, lacking a text convo, Facebook updates to catch up on, or Candy Crush, to hold the album cover in my hands, to look carefully at the front and back images. If there was a gatefold, that was amaziing. Some sleeves had lyrics, a gold mine.

I did not have any U2 albums on record (just the JT singles which I only listened to for the B sides) but I sure do know what a treasure trove, say, Sargeant Pepper's cover was. Less complex, but mesmerizing, was Dark Side of the Moon. Michael was gorgeous on Thriller and I could look at him all the live long day.

There just is no comparison today in terms of how we experience covers. I only see covers in a tiny square on my iPod. I can't really stare at it.

I've never seen a Joshua Tree record cover. It must be a gorgeous thing to behold.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:30:27 PM »
I think it's tragic how album artwork/covers has been diminished in importance with the advent of modern streaming and the like. I wish they implemented a more visual experience for when you used such platforms as Spotify etc so that you almost had no choice but to observe the graphics and photography that the band chose to compliment their art. It's not as though the musicians don't think about it; it's very integral to the creation of the final product. Yet it's importance is almost entirely ignored when it comes to the delivery of the music to everyone's online playlists. Make it a standout feature. I would like to have the album art given to me as a physical accompaniment to the digital music, or even just given way more prominence on the music platforms that they are played on. I would pay extra to have a quality piece of material given to me - such as a poster or another merchandise product. Make it a premium thing and give it value.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:32:34 PM by Clarky »

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 11:47:42 AM »
They still matter to me, but i have never purchased a digital album either.  Never will.