Author Topic: The Real Reason U2 is Hated  (Read 2552 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
The Real Reason U2 is Hated
« on: May 24, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
They spawned Coldplay.

I'm just kidding. I've seen Coldplay several times.  But I got to thinking about what bands influenced U2 and then what bands are most cut from the U2 mold.  Coldplay is the obvious choice.  What else? Killers? Radiohead? Who are U2's musical children and grandchildren?

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
Re: The Real Reason U2 is Hated
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
Title doesn't match body.

So, U2 is hated because they are good businessmen. Explains their longevity.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »
U2 are hated because of Bono. The people who hate Edge hate him because of Bono.

I am basically a unicorn because I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER HEARD COLDPLAY. I can't even name one single song they do. I do know who their lead singer is and who he was once consciously coupled with. I also heard him stand in for Bono after Bono busted himself up in NYC and I thought he sounded awful. (Sorry, Chris, I'm sure you're a good guy).

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:42 PM »
Because they get so far away from their music. In today's society people do not want that. At least the majority doesn't.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 05:10:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 are hated because of Bono. The people who hate Edge hate him because of Bono.

I am basically a unicorn because I HAVE LITERALLY NEVER HEARD COLDPLAY. I can't even name one single song they do. I do know who their lead singer is and who he was once consciously coupled with. I also heard him stand in for Bono after Bono busted himself up in NYC and I thought he sounded awful. (Sorry, Chris, I'm sure you're a good guy).

Coldplay is the closest thing that the 21st century has produced that is like U2. I've seen all their tours from the first in 2001 to the latest. They have seven studio albums. I was initially attracted to them because I could hear a bit of U2 in them. But they do have their differences with U2. They are now the most popular band in the world having taken the mantle from U2 with their most recent album and tour. Their last tour is the 3rd highest grossing tour of all time. You should start listening to their 7 albums, starting with the first one Parachutes, which is a bit quiet and mellow, but good. You'll enjoy the trip(eventually listening to all seven albums) and should become a fan desiring to see their next tour within a couple of years.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:58:03 AM »
Do I realllllllllly want to be a Coldplay fan? <kicks and screams>

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 09:14:33 AM »

Coldplay is the closest thing that the 21st century has produced that is like U2. I've seen all their tours from the first in 2001 to the latest. They have seven studio albums. I was initially attracted to them because I could hear a bit of U2 in them. But they do have their differences with U2. They are now the most popular band in the world having taken the mantle from U2 with their most recent album and tour. Their last tour is the 3rd highest grossing tour of all time. You should start listening to their 7 albums, starting with the first one Parachutes, which is a bit quiet and mellow, but good. You'll enjoy the trip(eventually listening to all seven albums) and should become a fan desiring to see their next tour within a couple of years.

There seems to be a lot of Coldplay haters among U2 fans (Coldplay = U2lite) so that is what I was getting at.  Personally, I've been a fan since Parachutes....and really loved A Rush of Blood to the Head.  It's been diminishing returns since then for me but I've seen them live 3 times and they put on a great show.  My larger point is that without U2, there is no Coldplay.  And my question for the forum was what other bands could you say that about in regard to U2's influence.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 09:27:21 AM »
Who cares? Let the haters hate? Let them criticize Bono for trying to do good things with his money and stature. Focus on the positive.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 11:08:50 AM »

There seems to be a lot of Coldplay haters among U2 fans (Coldplay = U2lite) so that is what I was getting at.  Personally, I've been a fan since Parachutes....and really loved A Rush of Blood to the Head.  It's been diminishing returns since then for me but I've seen them live 3 times and they put on a great show.  My larger point is that without U2, there is no Coldplay.  And my question for the forum was what other bands could you say that about in regard to U2's influence.

Interesting perspective.  I have to admit that I have never equated Coldplay with U2.   I quite like some of Coldplay but it never crossed my mind that they in any way reminded me of U2. To me they are 2 separate entities.  I must say that if I don't like an artist I don't listen to them, not sure where all this hating comes from, it seems very energy consuming. U2 has always been a unique band especially for me in the early days.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 12:31:28 AM »
The Yellow snippet in MOS was nice. I'm also a fan of Parachutes and AROBTTH. Those were the first albums (they were in a pack) I ever bought. Besides that, I'm not liking it very much, maybe a few songs which are hard to recall (something with Violet Hill?). The latest I like a bit. The 'i don't give a f***' mentallity on the vocals are nice!

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 03:20:52 AM »
I'll admit, Im firmly in the Coldplay = U2lite camp. However, I am always wanting to give them a chance.

In the beginning I had so much hope for Coldplay. I was really hoping for them to be my "Next U2" in terms of devotion and love. However, these are earned. I saw Coldplay a few times, at the peak of my fandom, and I will also say their critical peak. During/after Rush of Blood to the Head era. I was bored out of my mind. They never have a bad song. My issue with them is that they really just keep putting out a variation on the same song. Rush of Blood to the Head, was the point where this was the least true. But essentially, they don't have a single rock song. They just have variations on the mind tempo ballad. There is little outside of that. They have songs that get a little livelier but essentially still are mid tempo ballads. But they also have songs I absolutely LOVE... Fix You remains one of my all time favorites songs, not just from Coldplay, but ever! Too many times though, I will listen to their latest album and find just a single songs or maybe 3 that are good, and the rest are forgettable background and that could easily land on any of their albums. Their overall sound is to take a U2 anthem, water the guitar and replace with piano, and reduce the passion, and sprinkle some pretty on it. They can reach some great heights on a few amazing songs for me, but then really put me to sleep with 90% of their material.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 03:47:44 AM »
I've heard Kings of Leon say they were big U2 fans growing up. The Killers are an obvious example too. You can't really hear it in their music but Muse seem to be U2 fans.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 03:57:43 AM »
In regards to U2's influence on other bands, I will focus for now on their influence in live performance.

The following bands Ive seen either before they have been an Opener for U2 or as an opener, and then see them as performer after they have toured/opened with U2:

Kings of Leon
Muse
Arcade Fire
The Killers

With all these bands, there was a clear growth spurt as performers pre vs post touring with U2. They suddenly changed from Musicians playing their songs to the best of their abilities, into artists who crafted an show and experience as a whole. Muse, Killers and Arcade Fire may have been the biggest and most pronounced change that I have witnessed. I've seen a decent amount of concerts, and very few artists craft an overall experience. The majority just perform their songs (quite brilliantly in many cases) and sometimes their might be more than lights going on for that song. Muse morphed from that, to incorporating spectacle and stage wizardry that overshadowed them ALOT, to using technology to craft a show that complimented the music and show as a whole. Each step of the way I saw them and saw clearly where they were picking things up from U2. Arcade Fire's latest tour is great, and you can clearly see the resemblances to Popmart and ZooTV. It is also much more of a show and the manner in which they engaged the audience had picked up (previously they would have moves/tactics, and perform more to each other than to the audience), whereas the previous tours they simply had backdrops and they would do great things like march into the audience which is a common performance tactic.

Each time I would see these artists I would see them after they had toured with U2 and could see/feel the difference their live performance. This ranged from little details to how they used technology and more.

The Pixies,I cannot say that I noticed a difference pre and post opening for U2. I think they had already developed their own sense of live performance.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 04:08:34 AM »
... I also heard him stand in for Bono after Bono busted himself up in NYC and I thought he sounded awful. (Sorry, Chris, I'm sure you're a good guy).

haha. I felt the same about Michael Stipe standing in for Bono. For Stipe and Christ Martin (but moreso Martin) they sing "pretty". I mean, there is a cleaness to it. It sounds technical, and may be technically better even. But they sound flat and soulless, to me. Some people like their sound, obviously as both their bands had/have enormous success. But I large part of why I never fully loved either bands its the flatness and the pretty voice that sounds devoid of soul to me. Why I originally preferred Radiohead to Coldplay (anyone remember that debate?). Its why I LOVE more songs to higher level from the Stones than the Beatles (an overall analysis of the bands as a whole is different)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 05:43:32 AM »
In fairness, Bono performing someone else's stuff is pretty hit or miss too.

But I heard Coldplay were U2 lite so I did judge him through that lens.

Michael Stipe is a great singer but his style and phrasing is very different from Bono's. I guess it's true for all or most bands. Would we be happy with Mick Jagger singing REM? With Michael Jackson singing The Rolling Stones?