Author Topic: The Real Reason U2 is Hated  (Read 2555 times)

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
Re: The Real Reason U2 is Hated
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 11:54:41 AM »
Really good article, thank you!

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 06:59:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This article doesn't touch on your original topic of the post necessarily... but it is definitley related.

The 15 Best Songs From This Century That Wouldn't Exist Without U2:

Actually, that is exactly what I was trying to get at...in a roundabout way.  Thanks for posting the link.

Offline KenKaniff

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 10:08:26 PM »
I'm confused here. Is this thread about why people hate U2 or what bands sound like U2?

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2018, 06:18:38 AM »
I'm confused here. Is this thread about why people hate U2 or what bands sound like U2?
The OP put ďthe real reason people hate U2Ē in the header as a joke ó the answer being Coldplay. But as a result the thread has gone in both directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 08:00:04 AM »
... Unfortunately, a large segment of the public donít really think for themselves so they just follow along.

That statement rings true on the nonpolitical hatred as well. I remember when Songs of Innocence came out. The first string of tweets and social media response to the free download with more jokey in tone. The verbiage was taking pot shots, but not alltogether hateful or completely negative. That escalated quickly. It turn from mere joked to vitriol REALLY fast. Additionally, publications and people followed the downward spiral. From the same sources that may have been more positive at the beginning (or not nearly as negative) they were suddenly voicing much more negative fodder, getting worse and worse. It's click bait.

Interesting thing is how far people will go to join the mob. People and a few scarce publications would write/say things like "How dare you violate my privacy, and download your putrid noise you call music onto my Samsung Galaxy ## etc."  People and publications actually stooped to this level 1) make things up 2) turn something small into something monstrous, in order to be in on the joke and join the mob

How can I say this was made up and claim its hyperbole:
1) It was only available on iOS and people ignorant to this fact were foolish enough to mention the non-Apple device they found it on. (additionally I know several Apple haters who never touched an Apple device join in on this hate)
2) It was a link, not wasn't automatically downloaded unless you actively pressed the option to download.

Once something becomes a fad, many people just want to be a part of it.
I really donít understand the whole Apple thing. Maybe Iím too old to get it, but I strongly suspect the degree of outrage has been overblown. Like you say, itís a fad. When SOE came out, few publications or websites seemed able to mention SOI without harping on the awfulness of the free download.

How absurd that people jumped on board with complaints that couldnít be true. That may be partly the mob mentality at work but I think itís also the troll mentality. Something about the web just brings out the worst in people.

its as simple as, the free download was only available to people who own iOS/Apple products, yet people were claiming to have the "crap U2 album forced on them" on their Android device, which was NOT possible... thus a huge piece of evidence suggesting/showing mob mentality. It's like someone trying to make a kryptonite joke in relation to Spiderman... dude that makes no sense, its not only the wrong superhero, its the wrong universe. Or, like someone claiming they got some happy meal toy from Burger King, that is exclusive to McDonalds. Or giving Frodo a red or blue pill... sorry, got carried away, having too much fun with finding ridiculous incorrect world mashups.

But you already got the idea on your post :)

I have iTunes on my home desktop computer which is where I discovered SOI like 2 years later lol and promptly downloaded it.  I really couldn't understand all the fuss but then I am not of this generation of young people.  I think it downloaded automatically on some devices and people had to download something else to get rid of it which pi**ed them off and people were going on about invasion of privacy etc.  Gee if that is all you have to be pi**ed off about then you are doing well.  The mob/troll mentality on the internet is a bizarre phenomena but seems par for the course sadly. 

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 12:21:42 PM »
... Unfortunately, a large segment of the public donít really think for themselves so they just follow along.

That statement rings true on the nonpolitical hatred as well. I remember when Songs of Innocence came out. The first string of tweets and social media response to the free download with more jokey in tone. The verbiage was taking pot shots, but not alltogether hateful or completely negative. That escalated quickly. It turn from mere joked to vitriol REALLY fast. Additionally, publications and people followed the downward spiral. From the same sources that may have been more positive at the beginning (or not nearly as negative) they were suddenly voicing much more negative fodder, getting worse and worse. It's click bait.

Interesting thing is how far people will go to join the mob. People and a few scarce publications would write/say things like "How dare you violate my privacy, and download your putrid noise you call music onto my Samsung Galaxy ## etc."  People and publications actually stooped to this level 1) make things up 2) turn something small into something monstrous, in order to be in on the joke and join the mob

How can I say this was made up and claim its hyperbole:
1) It was only available on iOS and people ignorant to this fact were foolish enough to mention the non-Apple device they found it on. (additionally I know several Apple haters who never touched an Apple device join in on this hate)
2) It was a link, not wasn't automatically downloaded unless you actively pressed the option to download.

Once something becomes a fad, many people just want to be a part of it.
I really donít understand the whole Apple thing. Maybe Iím too old to get it, but I strongly suspect the degree of outrage has been overblown. Like you say, itís a fad. When SOE came out, few publications or websites seemed able to mention SOI without harping on the awfulness of the free download.

How absurd that people jumped on board with complaints that couldnít be true. That may be partly the mob mentality at work but I think itís also the troll mentality. Something about the web just brings out the worst in people.

its as simple as, the free download was only available to people who own iOS/Apple products, yet people were claiming to have the "crap U2 album forced on them" on their Android device, which was NOT possible... thus a huge piece of evidence suggesting/showing mob mentality. It's like someone trying to make a kryptonite joke in relation to Spiderman... dude that makes no sense, its not only the wrong superhero, its the wrong universe. Or, like someone claiming they got some happy meal toy from Burger King, that is exclusive to McDonalds. Or giving Frodo a red or blue pill... sorry, got carried away, having too much fun with finding ridiculous incorrect world mashups.

But you already got the idea on your post :)

I have iTunes on my home desktop computer which is where I discovered SOI like 2 years later lol and promptly downloaded it.  I really couldn't understand all the fuss but then I am not of this generation of young people.  I think it downloaded automatically on some devices and people had to download something else to get rid of it which pi**ed them off and people were going on about invasion of privacy etc.  Gee if that is all you have to be pi**ed off about then you are doing well.  The mob/troll mentality on the internet is a bizarre phenomena but seems par for the course sadly.
Yes I probably donít understand this generationís relationship with their phones.

I asked a couple of teens I know what they thought of the SOI download controversy. One of them never heard of it (sheís not an Apple user but if it were that huge youíd think sheíd know about it). The other said he was pi**ed off at first to get this album on his phone that he didnít *choose* to get. But then he listened to it and liked it.

I know, a sample size of 2 isnít much, but...

Saint22

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 12:32:45 PM »
People hate U2 for several reasons:

1. Their success
2. Bono's perceived megalomania
3. Their limited musical chops
4. Their sincerity
5. The praise they've received pretty consistently from critics and award shows over the years

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
The Real Reason U2 is Hated
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »

1. Their success
4. Their sincerity
5. The praise they've received pretty consistently from critics and award shows over the years
Thatís a pretty good list Iíd say. Except their musical chops were only limited in the beginning and in Edgeís case, never.

Iíd add:

6) Their decency and relative lack of personal scandal
7) Bonoís ridiculous effectiveness as a global-scale philanthropist

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:48:18 PM by Luzita »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »
He thanked us Americans for helping fight AIDS with our tax dollars - isn't he the one who made that happen? Yes, ridiculously effective.

The sentiment seems to be, if you can't save everybody and fix everything, screw you for trying.

Saint22

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 01:54:01 PM »

1. Their success
4. Their sincerity
Thatís a pretty good list Iíd say. Except their musical chops were only limited in the beginning and in Edgeís case, never.

Iíd add:

You are right; let me re-phrase: Their PERCEIVED lack of musical chops. Adam and Larry have absolutely become accomplished musicians over the years, and people who don't know as much about music as they think they do consider Edge a one-trick pony.

I'd agree with those admissions. The lack of personal indiscretions -- how many rock bands do you know that have had one arrest in 40 years? -- seem to make some people think U2 claim a personal piety that actually isn't there.

Oh, and the Christianity/spirituality REALLY annoys some people. Don't forget that one.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
Wait, who got arrested and why?

And the Christianity thing has the bonus of offending both non-Christians (for being Christian) and Christians (for not being Christian enough, or even being devil-worshippers).

For myself, I am not Christian and love that they are - I don't just tolerate it, it's part of my interest in them.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »

1. Their success
4. Their sincerity

Iíd add:

That's just why I love U2!
They learnt from scratch and got much better what they do through consistent practice and not through sheer talent and precociousness (apart from The Edge - although some people would argue against that he is an average guitarist).
Bono has the natural ability to dominate events and he knows how to do it to maximum effect (and maximum annoyance to some people) and the world would be a worse place without him in my opinion.
They mean what they want to do and achieve and so the music and media businesses fall over themselves with superlatives (because they know music would be all the worse off without them).
They've largely 'kept their powder dry' (so to speak: this isn't a drugs reference!} in a world where scandal and tales dominate news and social media.
They've stuck at it with the same line up for almost 42 years and no-one has done that at their level.  It's like a long service award!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:21:07 PM by 73October »

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 02:48:13 PM »
Just saw Bono on CSPAN <3

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 03:00:45 PM »
Wait, who got arrested and why?

And the Christianity thing has the bonus of offending both non-Christians (for being Christian) and Christians (for not being Christian enough, or even being devil-worshippers).

For myself, I am not Christian and love that they are - I don't just tolerate it, it's part of my interest in them.

Adam got arrested, for drugs (I think just pot or maybe hash).

You make an excellent point about them (esp. Bono) offending both Christians and non-Christians. I caught part of a documentary on YouTube or someplace that alleged Bono is doing the devil's work and leading the faithful astray and all like that.

On the other hand, Bono is able to communicate with very conservative Christians because, though he's politically liberal, his theology is pretty basic. Salvation through grace, through Jesus who literally is the Son of God and literally rose from the dead. And he knows the Scriptures really well (way better than me) and sincerely draws inspiration from them.

I listened to an interview Bono gave a few years back to Focus on the Family, which is a very conservative evangelical organisation. He talked about his childhood and family and about Jesus being punk rock (yes, of course he said that). He also gave a well-informed, heartfelt analysis of certain Biblical passages. The show did get some negative comments about Bono being on, but most of the comments were positive. As the interviewer said, "I know he's unorthodox but he loves the Lord."

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 03:18:08 PM »
    As far as the Apple controversy, I think it's just fashionable to be outraged these days.  The provocation for the outrage makes little difference.  It's almost a substitute for real emotion in some cases, I think.
    I actually think some people dislike Bono for being a good person.  He is a man who has, imperfectly, tried to do some good with his power and position in the world.  This offends some people who may feel inadequate about their own efforts.  Also, anyone who think that Bono lacks depth as a Christian has a very limited understanding of Christianity.