Author Topic: The Real Reason U2 is Hated  (Read 3062 times)

Saint22

Re: The Real Reason U2 is Hated
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wait, who got arrested and why?

And the Christianity thing has the bonus of offending both non-Christians (for being Christian) and Christians (for not being Christian enough, or even being devil-worshippers).

For myself, I am not Christian and love that they are - I don't just tolerate it, it's part of my interest in them.

Adam got arrested for pot in the late 80s. The biggest problem from it was that it could have screwed up the tour if he had lost his passport.

That's a really good point about the religion thing; they do catch it from both sides. Based on what I know about Bono's faith, he and I are in lock-step. We both are liberal Christians who have a personal attachment to Christ and believe in His literal resurrection, but think much of the Old Testament is folklore, but full of wisdom nevertheless.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »
    As far as the Apple controversy, I think it's just fashionable to be outraged these days.  The provocation for the outrage makes little difference.  It's almost a substitute for real emotion in some cases, I think.
    I actually think some people dislike Bono for being a good person.  He is a man who has, imperfectly, tried to do some good with his power and position in the world.  This offends some people who may feel inadequate about their own efforts.  Also, anyone who think that Bono lacks depth as a Christian has a very limited understanding of Christianity.

Yes I am not a Christian but with my understanding of Christianity Bono shows greater depth as a Christian than many I know.  His understanding when I read what he writes of the scriptures and how it all fits in with his faith and the way he lives his life is impressive to me as a non Christian.   

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »
Yes; Bono explains my faith to me better than anyone I've known.  I don't expect him to live it perfectly at all times (no one does), but I think he has a very good grasp of the essentials of the faith, and let's face it, a strong relationship with the Person in charge.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2018, 12:27:45 AM »
    As far as the Apple controversy, I think it's just fashionable to be outraged these days.  The provocation for the outrage makes little difference.  It's almost a substitute for real emotion in some cases, I think.

Agreed. This was part of the point I was making with the Apple "Controversy". Even people who did not own an Apple device (so therefore could not have possibly had the album downloaded. It was ONLY available for Apple devices at the time) were making comment - in person and on social media - about being annoyed and their privacy violated... on their ANDROID. Many people were caught lying to either be in on the jokes or hate, as they volunteered their ignorance in claiming things like "U2 just forced it way onto my Galaxy..." Um, no they didn't, it was an Apple exclusive for quite a lengthy period. It was laughable how often things like that would come up, but evidence of how easily mob mentality takes over, not just against U2 or Apple, but in general.

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2018, 03:00:32 PM »
Just saw Bono on CSPAN <3
What was he doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »
What was he doing?

Well, he was talking. And sitting next to Bush 43.

I wish I could tell you what he was talking about but I couldn't hear. TV mounted to a wall of a rehab facility.

I only posted it because we were talking about his other work, and I know whatever he was discussing on CSPAN (next to W no less) would involve that. Was kind of hoping somebody else would know.

My Dad has dementia and I was amused to hear him comment, "oh look, it's Bono... who's that next to him?" lol

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »
What was he doing?

Well, he was talking. And sitting next to Bush 43.

I wish I could tell you what he was talking about but I couldn't hear. TV mounted to a wall of a rehab facility.

I only posted it because we were talking about his other work, and I know whatever he was discussing on CSPAN (next to W no less) would involve that. Was kind of hoping somebody else would know.

My Dad has dementia and I was amused to hear him comment, "oh look, it's Bono... who's that next to him?" lol

Offline PopMart_1997

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2018, 02:36:25 AM »
I've read thru this thread and I'm just going to put it plain & simple: The real reason U2 is hated is because people who hate them are f'n morons. Or bad people. Or both.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »
Well, Bono is obscenely rich.  It must be hard to be so very conscious as he is and also to be so ridiculously rich.  Imagine the cognitive dissonance of being Bono. 

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2018, 08:53:01 PM »
Well, Bono is obscenely rich.  It must be hard to be so very conscious as he is and also to be so ridiculously rich.  Imagine the cognitive dissonance of being Bono.

There are some very rich philanthropists around.  I was watching a program a couple of years ago about one our very rich men and he was very conscious of where in our country lack of education and health was to be found wanting and went about working how to set up various programs to address these issues.  He did say however that it was hard to get other very rich people involved.  I guess some people will always be wired with the need to use their wealth and influence to at least try to change things for the better. despite the fact that they really don't have to care at all.  Doesn't mean that they cant enjoy their wealth either. 

• Child of Grace
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2018, 02:49:53 AM »
I wonder if Bono secretly gives to lots of charities in Africa, Ireland, or elsewhere.  I'm sure he does his share, but I wonder if there are big initiatives no one knows he supports?  Otherwise, what would someone do with that much money?

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2018, 04:21:24 AM »
I wonder if Bono secretly gives to lots of charities in Africa, Ireland, or elsewhere.  I'm sure he does his share, but I wonder if there are big initiatives no one knows he supports?  Otherwise, what would someone do with that much money?

I read his wife's clothing line has been in the red for a number of years and they have supported it to the tune of millions to get it going and get fair trade jobs going for local women in that line.  I think they also supported women in Lesotho to start businesses based on fair trade.  I would say that it is highly likely they both do work on that type of venture.  Certainly the rich philanthropists in this country rarely big note what they do and one normally gets to hear of it when someone does an article or TV segment on them. 

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2018, 11:49:05 AM »
I don't spend much time worrying about why u2 is hated.  I'm happy to enjoy the music they give us and find ways to enjoy different songs in different ways. 

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2018, 02:21:10 PM »
I don't spend much time worrying about why u2 is hated.  I'm happy to enjoy the music they give us and find ways to enjoy different songs in different ways.
really? I try to be the U2 avenger all over the internet.  Rolling Stone articles and anywhere U2 justice needs to be served.  Lol

• Child of Grace
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2018, 02:36:00 PM »
Oftentimes we only hear much about people's charity work after they die.