Author Topic: Interaction with audience in E+I?  (Read 891 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Interaction with audience in E+I?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 06:05:26 AM »
Also, I'm not just talking about people on stage. I don't know if the stage setup precludes merely touching the crowd but Bono at least used to do that. Not sure about JT30 or I&E but definitely Elevation, I assume 360.

Offline b-mata

• Babyface
  • I'm already gone, felt that way all along.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 09:34:21 AM »
I've been to three shows this tour and I did get to see one great little "human" moment in Omaha where Bono reached out and touched the outstretched hand of a boy during SBS.  It was almost like he had to have a bit of a doulbe take before deciding to do it.  He spotted the boy... turned and took a step... then turned back and reached out.  (I was on the rail one person away and noticed immediately safety guys moved toward the area from both sides.  So maybe they are just being much more careful and measured about such activities?)

Also, I seem to remember, though I can't find the video right now, a few instances of fans being invited on stage during i&e and them sorta just filming themselves and not really being "in the moment" in a way that somewhat seemed to irritate the band.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
!)
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 10:35:31 AM »
There's separate thread about U2 haters.  But what I will say is that reading both threads has made me think that...

1. The stage and set is very theatrical and doesn't allow for too much fan interaction.  If the band did have interaction, would they plant someone in the audience at times?  The pit between the stage and audience is designed for band security and make it harder for someone to vault over the rails.  That said,  I don't think a true fan would do that. 
2. The recent Eurovision Song Contest saw the UK entry (SuRie) be on the receiving end of a stage protest.  It's perceived that a lot of people don't like the UK in the Eurovision, because politics gets into the equation, and are never given particularly high scores.  Could the same in principle be said for U2 and would someone pay good money to stand in GA in the hope of trying to invade the stage or similar? (let's NOT go down the road of U2 representing Ireland in the Eurovision!!)
3. U2 may relax and invite people on the stage if they feel confident about security at shows.
4. If you get the timing right, you could have a meet and greet outside the venue as the band show up.  But you need to do careful research as it's never announced.  There has been several of these now this tour, and it may be the best way to interact with fans because it's daylight and there is an opportunity for a brief conversation with any or some of the band.  The band seem genuinely engaged with fans during this kind of event and enjoy the verbal and physical interaction.  Again, it depends on how they are feeling and also the location.  Some stops are known to have much more fanatical fans than others and they don't always want to be screamed at or have their jacket sleeves almost pulled off.  (I wouldn't if I was them - I'd prefer it much more civilised).

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2018, 11:57:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been to three shows this tour and I did get to see one great little "human" moment in Omaha where Bono reached out and touched the outstretched hand of a boy during SBS.  It was almost like he had to have a bit of a doulbe take before deciding to do it.  He spotted the boy... turned and took a step... then turned back and reached out.  (I was on the rail one person away and noticed immediately safety guys moved toward the area from both sides.  So maybe they are just being much more careful and measured about such activities?)

He did something very similar to this at Vegas 2. There was a 13-year-old-ish boy at the rail on the E stage, and Bono seemed to do a double-take before he turned back and asked the boy his name. The kid didn't seem to be interested in going on stage, I don't think he answered. So Bono kind of left it be.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
People videoing themselves strikes me as potentially a major reason they stopped doing fan-on-stage stuff. And I'm 100% sympathetic. To the band I mean.

Offline 3po1nt0

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »
there was something about bono's glasses during LA2, but i couldn't tell if it was a comment to a fan or to one of the stage techs

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 03:06:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
there was something about bono's glasses during LA2, but i couldn't tell if it was a comment to a fan or to one of the stage techs

He was asking the security for his glasses, and made a little comment about spectacles.