Author Topic: "Get Off This" Cracker Question  (Read 306 times)

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
"Get Off This" Cracker Question
« on: May 28, 2018, 02:47:05 PM »
I was messing around with "One" and in doing so, I noticed that it sounds like Cracker's "Get Off This" - same chords basically throughout each song.  The Cracker song is much faster, obviously.  Then, in reading the lyrics, I noticed:

"Let's get off this and get on with it
If you wanna change the world shut your mouth and start to spin it
Get off this and get on with it
If you wanna change the world shut your mouth and start this minute"

"Well, the guitar player's stayin' out in Hollywood and sayin'
He's just trying to get some sleep, but everyone's complain'
Are you truly, deeply cynical 'cause boy you know that I loved you so
When no one knew your name and you were pompous" among other lyrics that take shots at some pompous, world-changing singer/guitarist.

I couldn't help but wonder if the song's narrator was directing it a Bono, given some of the lyrics and the same chords structure.  It was also written (1994) after "One" and Achtung Baby. 

This isn't to mean the writer has these feelings.  Writers have taken another person's viewpoint to generate the lyrics of a song, for example Lynyrd Skynyrd's narrator in Sweet Home Alabama isn't sharing the feelings of the singer in the band.

Anyway, I thought it was curious and made for an interesting exploration on a drizzly Monday PM.

Here's Cracker's "Get Off This": You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  just for comparison.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: "Get Off This" Cracker Question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:25:55 AM »
The chords to One are incredibly common in popular music.  Try Duke of Earl out for size.  Or, well, Unchained Melody.

I can't imagine David Lowry from Cracker having any interest in U2/Bono, but I could see him taking the pi*s with them lyrically.  If not directly, maybe more as the idea of the famous musical activist.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: "Get Off This" Cracker Question
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:40:52 AM »
All it takes is three chords and the truth for a hit