Author Topic: Thoughts on the Nashville Show (Spoilers)  (Read 923 times)

Offline superdragtn

• Babyface
Thoughts on the Nashville Show (Spoilers)
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:08:55 AM »
So I attended Nashville this past Saturday night, some thoughts/comments:

- The SOE songs sounded great live.  I like "Lights of Home" much better in the live setting.  Bono sounds much more vulnerable fitting well with the theme of the song.  The walkway lifting up towards the light is also a powerful image.  GOOYOW and American Soul both were excellent as well.  LIBTAIIW was also fantastic and the crowd was really into it.

- The "Staring at the Sun" (This is not America) to "Pride" (This is America) bit was the most powerful moment of the show.  If that doesn't get you going, check your pulse as you may be dead.

- Pop - Bono talked about Pop in the intro to "Staring at the Sun" and it got a big cheer from the crowd.  C'mon Pop 25 tour!

- I had hoped to hear RFD and/or Horses.  Once the show started, I didn't even remember wanting to hear them.  The show grabs your attention and doesn't let it go.

- I didn't miss the JT songs.  The whole show worked perfectly without them. 

-  The crowd was pretty good.  It wasn't until they went into "I Will Follow" that there seemed to be much engagement.  I was on the middle level and people sat down frequently.  I initially did as not to be rude, but after a certain point just said to hell with it and stood the rest of the time.  Otherwise, most people were fairly well engaged.  The new songs, particularly later in the set, also seemed to be well received. 

- There were a lot of dignitaries in attendance (Al Gore, Oprah, etc.).  Bono asked me to clap for Bill Frist who was also in attendance.  I didn't like this very much.

- The show seemed to be a true sell out or pretty darn close.  There were people in the upper, upper rows.  A few empty seats were here and there in the upper decks though.  One row on the lower level was almost completely empty which seemed odd.

- The video screen had some issues just before the HMTMKMKM video.  It looked like one panel had gone out and was black for a few songs.  The audio was also a bit dodgy when Bono was talking from the main stage. 

- The ending: I'm fully on board with the theme of the show and ending with 13 so this is not so much a complaint as a critique.  What made it awkward was the huge buildup to the last moment.  There was the emotional high of One and LIBTAIIW into an awkward drop.  Bono gave a speech before 13 talking about his kids and such which I think slowed the momentum.  It may have worked better if there was a more seamless and instant transition from LIBTAIIW straight into 13.

- I'm still on the emotional high, but right now this show is the front runner for being my favorite U2 show.

- Finally, major kudos to Bridgestone Arena.  If you haven't been there, it's an excellent venue and incredibly well managed.  This was my third major concert there and every one has gone off smoothly. 

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Thoughts on the Nashville Show (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:23:09 AM »
Awesome review, thanks! I am going to the Boston show and I'm bracing myself for disappointment for not hearing Red Flag Day but love reading that the show was so great you didn't even miss it.

I was also intrigued at your comments on Staring at the Sun and Pride, which I was not exactly dreading hearing yet they weren't even on my radar as maybe being highlights.

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 08:24:29 AM »
Thanks for the write-up! I agree, the end of the show doesn't quite work in my opinion.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:20:54 AM »
I was there, too, and thought the show was amazing!! The friend that came with me, who was a little hesitant at first because she wasn't familiar with a lot of the songs on the set list, said at the end that she thought it was excellent and was really happy that she came to the show. I was in the 300 level and "Pride" was the only song that got everyone on their feet, but even though most people sat through the show (honestly, with how the rows a placed up there, it was a little scary standing for fear you might fall over into the row in front of you), a lot of people were like me and danced in their seats, pumped their fists in the air and sang along with all of the songs. 

Agree that I would also have loved to hear RFD or Horses, but everything they did was so fantastic that I didn't even miss not hearing those songs.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:22:36 AM »
Show was amazing...
I could honestly though do without all of the drunks that poured in from the honky-tonks Saturday night.
I've been going to U2 shows for decades and it was the drunkest, most casual fans I've ever seen at a U2 show.
Folks poured out before the encore even started...it was lame...but that's what you get with a crowd that is more concerned with being seen there, instead of actually wanting to be there.
Lots of money in Nashville which allows a "LA"type crowd to show up late, and leave early.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:37:08 AM by Mr. Sarajevo 20 »

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
Here’s my long winded review

First the set list
Love is All We have left
Blackout
Lights of Home
I will Follow
Gloria
Beatuful Day
The Ocean
Iris
Cedarwood Rd
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Until the End of the World
Intermission Kiss Me Kill Me
Elevation
Vertigo
Desire
Acrobat
Your the Best thing
Staring at the Sun
Pride
Get out of your own way
American Soul
City of Blinding Lights
One
Love is bigger

The MRI sound at the beginning does have brain scan images they are not too clear so it would be hard to tell what exactly you are looking at

We had Oprah, Al Gore, Dirks Bentley, Michale W Smith and Bill Frist to name a few there last night. Also Ashley Judd

No special guests on stage though.

Bono’s voice was strong and they seem to be getting more comfortable with the show. Acrobat was really good Better then the you tubes I’ve watched.  I got annoyed with people’s cell phones blocking my view that’s totally out of control.  We have stoped watching things with our own eyes.

Being in GA was amazing.  So close got lots of pictures! Hubs isn’t the biggest U2 fan but he leaned over to me when Bono was close and was like how’s it feel being so close to greatness! 

My least favorite thing was the battery sucking App it was ice burgs and water falls and killed my battery.  Least favorite song was Elevation it was performed well but I’m just over it now lol.

Acrobat was my favorite it was just so good! 

Had a great night out with no kids

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is everything, LOL.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 11:46:17 AM »

This is everything, LOL.
It was!  We even got a pre show meal and drinks.

Offline julez728

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
I was there as well after making the trip to Chicago to see both of those shows.  Nashville was my favorite out of the three shows.  The crowd seemed more engaged than at the Chicago shows.  I was in GA and the energy down there was great.  I was closer to the e stage and was able to see everything there and even a lot of the main stage.  My favorite part was watching Bono during the MacPhisto speech.  In my opinion, they should get rid of the filter because his facial expressions during the speech were great and I don't think the filter is needed.

I would have loved some variety from the Chicago shows, but the Nashville show was good nonetheless.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
Made me laugh when Bono was like oh just a Saturday Night in Nashville, hes not far off, always good music to be heard here.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 03:23:06 PM »
My kid is 12, I want her there with me at the show... as long as she's not a butt about it.

She has a way of being a butt sometimes.

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »
I was there as well. I arrived in the GA line at 5:30 and ended up halfway down on Adam's side, one body back from the rail -- and someone with a number in the 20s written on their hand. There is ZERO reason to arrive in the GA line before late in the afternoon of the show. They let us in at about 6:15. Very smooth. As the poster above said, Bridgestone Arena is absolutely top-notch. I've seen many shows there and never had any issue at all.

Since I was on the floor and close to the ramp, I encountered no drunks. There was one really obnoxious guy who was trying to look (and act and sing) like ZooTV Bono but looked more like Leonard from Big Bang Theory in a motorcycle jacket. He was right behind me before the show, and I thought he was going to be a problem, but I didn't hear a peep from him after the show started and he either moved or left early.

There was a young woman behind me who was doing that annoying three-fingers-in-your-mouth whistle thing so loudly that I literally felt liquid ooze from one of my ears. So, I did something I've never done in my life: I turned around and angrily told her to stop it. And she did.

Those were my only crowd critiques. The place 99.5 percent full. Looked like most people stood the whole show, even up in the nosebleeds.

I saw a few people leaving after One, but none on the floor.

I paid very little attention to the screen. I watched the band. Bono sang Love Is All We Have Left right in front of me. I got a slight acknowledgement from him during The Lights Of Home, because he looked my way and I was the only person no using my phone. I was singing the song back to him and he raised his eyebrows and smiled slightly. I was between Larry and Edge during SBS, closer to LMJ.

I thought the sound was fantastic and LOUD (which should tell you how loud and long that whistle was)

The people on the floor at least knew and were into the new material

There was very little banter from Bono until the end, and as another poster said, it kind of killed the momentum of the show

Gloria, Acrobat and the new songs were the highlights for me. I've never been a big Staring At The Sun fan, but they played it flawlessly and it was a nice throwback to my first U2 show, PopMart Memphis just over 21 years ago.

I loved the new songs, but I surely wish they were playing RFD, Summer Of Love and The Little Things.

Either Elevation or Vertigo need to go in place something better. I would vote to keep Vertigo. I think the reaction was better.

MacPhisto was in rare form Saturday night.

The band was TIGHT. I think this is the first U2 show I've ever seen without Bono forgetting the words or their being a clunker. If there was one, I didn't hear it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:54:57 AM by Saint22 »

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
Bono sang Love Is All We Have Left right in front of me. I got a slight acknowledgement from him during The Lights Of Home, because he looked my way and I was the only person no using my phone. I was singing the song back to him and he raised his eyebrows and smiled slightly.

Worth the price of admission! 

Offline garyu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 11:35:53 AM »
“- The show seemed to be a true sell out or pretty darn close.  There were people in the upper, upper rows.  A few empty seats were here and there in the upper decks though.  One row on the lower level was almost completely empty which seemed odd.”

This is because a secondary ticketing site got their hands on rows or even sections of seats and tried to sell them for inflated price. Anyone else ever notice if you go looking for tickets on websites it’s always large sections to themselves. Quite obviously the “Viagogo section”. Irritating!

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 11:43:22 AM »
The fans definitely got into GA so that was great! And the price was great in GA too.