Author Topic: Thoughts on the Nashville Show (Spoilers)  (Read 927 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: Thoughts on the Nashville Show (Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono sang Love Is All We Have Left right in front of me. I got a slight acknowledgement from him during The Lights Of Home, because he looked my way and I was the only person no using my phone. I was singing the song back to him and he raised his eyebrows and smiled slightly.

Worth the price of admission!

^

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 12:07:15 PM »
I was there as well. I arrived in the GA line at 5:30 and ended up halfway down on Adam's side, one body back from the rail -- and someone with a number in the 20s written on their hand. There is ZERO reason to arrive in the GA line before late in the afternoon of the show. They let us in at about 6:15. Very smooth. As the poster above said, Bridgestone Arena is absolutely top-notch. I've seen many shows there and never had any issue at all.

I got there about 6:30 and I was one person off the rail and about 8 people from the e stage.  "Lining up" isn't necessary.  :)

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 12:15:28 PM »
The fans definitely got into GA so that was great! And the price was great in GA too.

You absolutely cannot beat it. I have nothing but sympathy for people who cannot do GA due to physical problems or time commitment, but a GA floor ticket for U2 in an arena is absolutely the best buy in live music.

Just imagine what The Stones would charge. Look at what Bruce has started charging -- and his stage is conventional, and only a few hundred people have good spots and that whole lottery process is rigged as can be.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »
The fans definitely got into GA so that was great! And the price was great in GA too.

You absolutely cannot beat it. I have nothing but sympathy for people who cannot do GA due to physical problems or time commitment, but a GA floor ticket for U2 in an arena is absolutely the best buy in live music.

Just imagine what The Stones would charge. Look at what Bruce has started charging -- and his stage is conventional, and only a few hundred people have good spots and that whole lottery process is rigged as can be.

I agree.  I had seats for one of the shows in Chicago, 100 level behind the stage, and it didn't compare to GA as far as the energy of the people around you.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
I have never been that close to anyone that famous before not to mention being a life long fan.  I was afraid Id be uncomfortable standing that long it was no problem it was too short!  They are larger than life!  I sort of got to be 11 or maybe 13 again!

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 12:35:47 PM »
I have never been that close to anyone that famous before not to mention being a life long fan.  I was afraid Id be uncomfortable standing that long it was no problem it was too short!  They are larger than life!  I sort of got to be 11 or maybe 13 again!

Believe me; I was plenty uncomfortable by the end of the night. Almost 6 hours of standing on a hard floor will do that to you. I'm 41 and I am in decent shape, and by the encore, my legs were asleep. By the time I walked back to my hotel -- just a couple of blocks -- my back and legs were hurting so badly that I took a shower and 4 Advil and called it. I had big plans about carousing, but that didn't happen.

Totally worth it, but it was painful.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2018, 12:38:32 PM »

Believe me; I was plenty uncomfortable by the end of the night. Almost 6 hours of standing on a hard floor will do that to you. I'm 41 and I am in decent shape, and by the encore, my legs were asleep. By the time I walked back to my hotel -- just a couple of blocks -- my back and legs were hurting so badly that I took a shower and 4 Advil and called it. I had big plans about carousing, but that didn't happen.

Im 42 I had Gatorade and advil too!  But it was with it!  Makes me wonder how the band does it!

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
Hmm. You can buy a walking cane that has a tiny fold-out seat so you can sit down. Worth consideration for the creaky (but not too creaky) among us.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »

Im 42 I had Gatorade and advil too!  But it was with it!  Makes me wonder how the band does it!

Very much worth it. I really don't know how the band does it.  I went to 3 shows in 5 days and I was wiped out and I'm younger than them.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »
I have performed a few times in my life, most of the events I needed to get into my zone for were sports I Played soccer. 

Anyway I felt like I did that show after I was so hyped up took me a long time to settle down and sleep.  I have no idea how they do it over and over.

I dont even know how you did three shows!

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 01:01:06 PM »
I have performed a few times in my life, most of the events I needed to get into my zone for were sports I Played soccer. 

Anyway I felt like I did that show after I was so hyped up took me a long time to settle down and sleep.  I have no idea how they do it over and over.

I dont even know how you did three shows!

I'm not sure how I did it either, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2018, 12:11:26 AM »
- The ending: I'm fully on board with the theme of the show and ending with 13 so this is not so much a complaint as a critique.  What made it awkward was the huge buildup to the last moment.  There was the emotional high of One and LIBTAIIW into an awkward drop.  Bono gave a speech before 13 talking about his kids and such which I think slowed the momentum.  It may have worked better if there was a more seamless and instant transition from LIBTAIIW straight into 13.

Great review overall.

Agreed, ending on 13 can be a bit awkward, even being accustomed to U2  ending on a soft/somber note (Love is Blindness, Cant Help Falling in Love, One, Yahweh, Moment of Surrender). Ive said this before, and still maintain that if they move 13 to be the closer of the main set, after City of Blinding Lights, this may make the show perfect for me. It maintains the thematic arc. Encores are generally seen as separate from the main set. So they can come back for a more upbeat/uplifting encore after the main set closes with 12. To come back for encore with One, then Little Things and Love is Bigger would really send the crowd off on the right note. Or Little Things, then One then Love is Bigger.

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2018, 07:30:08 AM »
- The ending: I'm fully on board with the theme of the show and ending with 13 so this is not so much a complaint as a critique.  What made it awkward was the huge buildup to the last moment.  There was the emotional high of One and LIBTAIIW into an awkward drop.  Bono gave a speech before 13 talking about his kids and such which I think slowed the momentum.  It may have worked better if there was a more seamless and instant transition from LIBTAIIW straight into 13.

Great review overall.

Agreed, ending on 13 can be a bit awkward, even being accustomed to U2  ending on a soft/somber note (Love is Blindness, Cant Help Falling in Love, One, Yahweh, Moment of Surrender). Ive said this before, and still maintain that if they move 13 to be the closer of the main set, after City of Blinding Lights, this may make the show perfect for me. It maintains the thematic arc. Encores are generally seen as separate from the main set. So they can come back for a more upbeat/uplifting encore after the main set closes with 12. To come back for encore with One, then Little Things and Love is Bigger would really send the crowd off on the right note. Or Little Things, then One then Love is Bigger.

I am a big fan of opening the encore with a fan-friendly album cut, something like Ultra Violet or Bad. I think they had a good idea with Wild Horses in that spot, but just didn't think it worked for whatever reason.

Maybe close the main set with 13 and the light bulb thing, and then close the show with The Little Things.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2018, 07:39:39 AM »
I love The Little Things wish we had seen in Nashville.  Hoping they come back here for fun or to record one day, and I run into them on my daily walk of Music Row

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »
Anyone besides me have post-show blues?

I was off work Friday through Tuesday, and the last day and a half at work have been absolute misery.