Author Topic: Babylon Bee satirical article that slams Bono for his position on 8th amendment  (Read 541 times)

Offline popsadie

• Stateless
Personally, I'm unsure where my feelings are regarding Ireland's decision to repeal the 8th amendment. Part of me understands why people wanted to repeal the decision, but I do question how Bono squares it with professed Christian faith. In my own country, I have pretty strong views, but I do want to keep the option open for cases of endangering a mother's health or rape if it is performed before sentience. Regardless, I read this satirical piece and found it pretty harsh. I was wondering if anyone else had read it and if you thought it went too far?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
As far as a satirical piece, I did not find it too harsh.  I was surprised U2 made their views on this public and they obviously have friends on both sides of the issue (Peter Rowan, for example).  I would love to hear how Bono reconciles his position with his religion, which I'm sure he could articulate.  The satire makes many assumptions that just aren't true....one is that all Christians interpret religious doctrines the same way across the board.  Marriage equality, divorce, birth control are just some of the other issues that could illustrate differences between intelligent-minded Christians, not just abortion. 

U2's faith was called into question from the very beginning of their career when they chose the rock and roll lifestyle...incompatible to those around them at the time.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
As far as a satirical piece, I did not find it too harsh.  I was surprised U2 made their views on this public and they obviously have friends on both sides of the issue (Peter Rowan, for example).  I would love to hear how Bono reconciles his position with his religion, which I'm sure he could articulate.  The satire makes many assumptions that just aren't true....one is that all Christians interpret religious doctrines the same way across the board.  Marriage equality, divorce, birth control are just some of the other issues that could illustrate differences between intelligent-minded Christians, not just abortion. 

U2's faith was called into question from the very beginning of their career when they chose the rock and roll lifestyle...incompatible to those around them at the time.

Yep I have a gay friend who is a committed Christian and despite being the nicest and kindest person who did a lot for her local church was thrown out when she came out.  She is still a devoted Christian, just doesn't go to church anymore and can completely reconcile her beliefs with her sexual orientation. 

I am not a Christian although I was brought up in a pretty devout Christian country and did the scripture classes, Sunday school, catholic school so have some understanding of how it works etc. and to be honest I find Bono to be a pretty good type of Christian and plenty of Christians have differing views on issues, they certainly do among my Christian friends. 

Yeah satirical pieces are just that, I didn't find it harsh really, just highlighting the views of the author really. 

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Is banning abortion in cases of rape or incest a Cristian position? I honestly am not sure as a non religious person.

Here in the states there are many supporters of president "Desire" who are Christians yet seem not to care about our presidents actions or policies, especially around immigrants and the poor which I believe are not in sync with christian ideals.

How long, how long must we sign this song?

Saint22

Is banning abortion in cases of rape or incest a Cristian position? I honestly am not sure as a non religious person.

Here in the states there are many supporters of president "Desire" who are Christians yet seem not to care about our presidents actions or policies, especially around immigrants and the poor which I believe are not in sync with christian ideals.

It depends on your brand of Christianity. The Roman Catholic Church is against abortion in all cases, last I heard. Most evangelical churches in the U.S. are as well. I'm an Episcopalian, which is the Anglican Church in the U.S., and we believe the mantra that abortion should be safe, legal and rare, and it is something to be used only after careful thought and consideration and that it is not something to be taken lightly or done flippantly.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee

It depends on your brand of Christianity. The Roman Catholic Church is against abortion in all cases, last I heard. Most evangelical churches in the U.S. are as well. I'm an Episcopalian, which is the Anglican Church in the U.S., and we believe the mantra that abortion should be safe, legal and rare, and it is something to be used only after careful thought and consideration and that it is not something to be taken lightly or done flippantly.

thanks Saint - I think the key point here is "safe, legal, and rare" - I think almost all of us are "against abortion" - nobody wants it to happen, the question is weather or not people can make that choice. OK, enough politics.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
This is just fake news.  Some Christians will never like Bono.  That's fine by me.  He's never pretended to be some holier than thou worship leader.  Well, if he has...I must've missed it somewhere?

Some Christians are judgemental enough to try and call him out publicly on this one.

I'm a Christian (which is a lot of the reason I got into U2 in the first place) and struggle at times with a) trying to make sense of merging faith and life out there (which can be pretty s****y at times). b) other Christians who claim to have all the answers and end up lording it over others.  Is that completely not Biblical?

Anyway sermon over for today.

As for the abortion argument - I can see where people are going with this in Ireland and advocating freedom for women.  However, I hope that they put a clause in that says that a certain amount of consideration and reflection is in place for women who are considering (there are other options such as adoption) at any stage in their trimesters.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
I think that fundamentalists in general (in any religion) have difficulty seeing nuances in any issue, since everything is black and white or right and wrong.  I think Bono and company took the compassionate position.  Christians (or anyone who is for life) can work to support women in problem pregnancies if they feel passionately about this issue.  No single law is going to stop them from doing just that; it just gives individual women the right to make their own choice on an issue which has a huge impact for them.

Saint22

I have a friend on FB who regularly shares stores from this website, and they are extremely critical of all branches of Christianity, liberal, conservative, etc. That Bono caught their eye isn't surprising. They seem to be the most harsh on large Christian churches -- megachurches, if you will -- and those churches whose services are very contemporary, with screens and full rock bands and such. It's very much a critique of 'modern' Christianity, if you will.

Saint22

thanks Saint - I think the key point here is "safe, legal, and rare" - I think almost all of us are "against abortion" - nobody wants it to happen, the question is weather or not people can make that choice. OK, enough politics.

You are welcome, and you are 100 percent correct: No one thinks abortion is a good thing. No one is out celebrating abortions or encouraging people to get as many as possible. That's why it is called 'pro choice' and not 'pro abortion'. That's a very important point. The anti-abortion movement does a much better job with its PR.

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
The problem is the slippery slope, once the genie is out of the bottle itís hard to stop it.

I hear you guys saying safe legal and rare, the problem is itís not rare in New York City 41 percent of pregnancies end in abortion its even higher among African Americans. 60 percent of pregnancies end in abortion.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
The problem is the slippery slope, once the genie is out of the bottle itís hard to stop it.

I hear you guys saying safe legal and rare, the problem is itís not rare in New York City 41 percent of pregnancies end in abortion its even higher among African Americans. 60 percent of pregnancies end in abortion.

What is your source for these numbers?

Offline summerholly

• Refugee

I read up a few statistics in my country Australia and 10 years ago estimations were about 25% of pregnancies end in abortion but this is falling.  The interesting thing was that apparently in some European countries like Germany and Holland where abortion and contraception services are more easily accessed and accompanied by a very comprehensive sex education the rates of abortion are half of that so about 12%. 

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still

I read up a few statistics in my country Australia and 10 years ago estimations were about 25% of pregnancies end in abortion but this is falling.  The interesting thing was that apparently in some European countries like Germany and Holland where abortion and contraception services are more easily accessed and accompanied by a very comprehensive sex education the rates of abortion are half of that so about 12%.

Those estimates, seem really high, far from the national average of 18% noted below.  I found this at the Guttmacher Institute:

ēIn 2011, the 63 million U.S. women of reproductive age (15Ė44) had six million pregnancies. Sixty-seven percent of these pregnancies resulted in live births and 18% in abortions; the remaining 15% ended in miscarriage.[6]

But then I found this: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Quite frankly, I was shocked to learn the % was that high in NYC.  I'm guessing the highest concentration of abortions in the U.S.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:58:08 AM by dwaltman »

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Very sad and heartbreaking