Author Topic: e/i in stadiums?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
e/i in stadiums?
« on: May 30, 2018, 06:54:51 AM »
In the recent Rolling Stone interview Adam suggested that if they went to Australia/NZ/Japan/southeast Asia it would probably have to be in stadiums. Certainly the demand is there, as they have gotten the short end of the stick during the last few tours.  This got me thinking how they might pull that off, if they went that way.

My thought was to recycle the Joshua Tree screen and stage and put them at one end of the field and somehow suspend the e/i screen in the middle of the pitch, with a long catwalk out to it, and the e stage at the far end. There has to be some way to put up pillars to hold it in place.  They put up a claw for goodness sake. If they did that, the end screen would be 200ft wide, the walkway could extend out maybe 50 feet before the screen starts, and that would extend another 96 feet.  Of course U2 would likely want to build a second version of the JT screen and have that up the middle or something just to outdo themselves.

Anyways, what do you think could work?  I suggest this because they wouldn’t have to build another screen and could make it cost effective to stage, except you have to ship it all halfway around the globe and set up the equivalent of 2 shows worth of stuff for every gig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
Re: e/i in stadiums?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:05:30 AM »
I guess with JT30 they avoided the issue of IE stadiums. U2 have gone back to previous stage configurations before. It would be great if they could bring both JT and EI down under and do what the Stones did on their stadium, arena, club tour a while back.

Personally, I think EI outdoors would be wild.

Offline Conor74

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:44:33 AM »
That would have to be one hell of a screen!

Personally I think it sounds a touch unrealistic. It's such an intense, emotional production that I couldn't see it working in stadiums (stadia?) and regardless, while JT30 pulled in thousands of casual fans it's hard to imagine SoE doing that kind of business, even given the long gap since shows in this part of the world. But I totally agree it would be wild to see.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
Adam's comments make me think they are asking themselves/their crew these exact questions.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:13:28 AM »
IMHO, they should go to OZ in Feb or March 2019. But who am I?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
I would almost think they'd just need to use a new staging concept for stadiums, sort of like the Vertigo stadium jaunt.  Maybe some of the imagery could be recycled (Iris, Cedarwood Road, SBS, UTEOTW, etc.), but without the catwalk/screen/cage contraption.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:05:56 AM »
They may find a way to upscale the current show into Stadiums. But the Joshua Tree Tour is over. They are not going to be touring the Joshua Tree in 2019. Maybe a retro Lovetown Tour, although I doubt it, but not the Joshua Tree.

The Joshua Tree was a one off, only supposed to be a couple of shows to begin with. It expanded to more shows simply because the album was not yet finished and they wanted to release it near Christmas time for better sales.

The band are back to their usual mode now which is promoting their current album of music. U2 are not nostalgia act that plays the annual state fair.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:35:27 AM »
What about if they put the EI show at the back of the stadium floor? That would be awesome.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
Don't think they would get the same show either way. If nothing else bound to change the set list to incorporate JT/popular hits for markets not toured in for a decade+

Reckon they would just find a way to adapt the current screen to out door shows. Zoo TV tour mixed stadium and arena? Not sure if they bothered to change anything for that.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »
It sounds like he’s only talking about stadiums to speed up the touring process. But I don’t see EI as a stadium show. The intimacy aspect is huge and its why the setlist works so well in an arena. Not to mention way more casuals would see a cheaper stadium show.  And even if the screen was made larger, it wouldn’t have the same effect. Bono would look like an ant on cedarwood road. Japan and Australia have arenas...

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 09:19:42 PM »
Here is a graphic of TJT outdoor stage:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is the EI indoor stage.

Create the original TJT stage like last year and then at the very back of the pitch, Pitch 1 in the above image line up a row of crane trucks. Hang the barricage from the air. The EI could eithier go vertical or horizontal, it doesn't matter as long it is at the very end of the field opposite TJT screen. The TJT screen could just display the barricage video since it is uniform on both sides?  I think. It would be great to play one tour one day and another tour the next day in a place like Sydney for like a week.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
Here is a graphic of TJT outdoor stage:

Here is the EI indoor stage.

Create the original TJT stage like last year and then at the very back of the pitch, Pitch 1 in the above image line up a row of crane trucks. Hang the barricage from the air. The EI could eithier go vertical or horizontal, it doesn't matter as long it is at the very end of the field opposite TJT screen. The TJT screen could just display the barricage video since it is uniform on both sides?  I think. It would be great to play one tour one day and another tour the next day in a place like Sydney for like a week.

Haha I like your thinking but it’s not feasible. For them to hang the barricade, they’d need another “claw” structure to suspend and make it stable enough for them to walk through. Which would cost $ and more time than I think there is, unless the tour wouldn’t start until fall 2019. And even that, what’s the point with a screen that small in stadium. They’d have to reconstruct it. And then it would block TJT screen right down the middle, so they’d want to probably hang it above TJT screen. Which means it’s going to be even higher which seems sketchy if Bono is going to climb that high into it. And I’d be scared for Bono to accidentally fall again at stadium heights which is probable since he fell last week.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 03:24:55 AM »
They could put the I-stage at the long side, and the e-stage on the other side. That's the shortest way to fill the whole floor. Does anyone know how long the IE-stage is and how wide the average stadium? (I know it for soccer. But they'll probably play in Cricket stadiums)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 07:00:53 AM »
So what about reusing the screen from the JT30 show at one end (not the show content, just the screen, like they did for that one NCal show at the conference, and maybe some imagery) and having a long catwalk through the field to a b stage.  Off to one side of the catwalk they have a long white curtain, which they hoist up for some of the songs and then they project images on it. There could be extendable posts off to the side of the catwalk to hoist it up. It has the advantages of a HUGE  screen dividing the audience, a massive “rail” so many get a front row for a bit, and the ability to transform the stadium from an end stage to something more like the e/I setup. That has to be more technically feasible and the only drawback is they can’t perform inside the baricage.

As far as the music, if they are only there once, it has to include SOE, SOI, TJT and the hits, more of a well rounded show.  Anyways, that’s what I’d do if I was in charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 07:45:53 AM »
Don't think they would get the same show either way. If nothing else bound to change the set list to incorporate JT/popular hits for markets not toured in for a decade+

Reckon they would just find a way to adapt the current screen to out door shows. Zoo TV tour mixed stadium and arena? Not sure if they bothered to change anything for that.

For Zoo TV, the indoor stage was a lot smaller, and only used 4 video walls with other smaller TV monitors on the stage.  There was also one drop down projection screen above the stage truss, which showed the same imagery as was on the video walls on stage.  The lighting was also effectively a semi-circle of Trabants around the back of the stage.

When they took it outdoors, a lot of that changed.  Pretty sure they were still using the same four video walls on stage, but they added those giant screens, the lighting/Trabants were different, and the stage was just massive compared to the relatively small indoor one.

Simply put, I don't think the "barricage" that they use would work at all in a stadium--it would be tiny, and the effects lost to the massive crowd.  And in order to achieve a visible effect, you'd probably need to stretch it to be well over 50 yards long.  I'd say the best you could do would be a JT30-style giant screen.  I just don't think they'd use that specific one, since the Joshua Tree icon is literally built into it.  Who knows, maybe they'd even re-use the Vertigo stadium stage.  I think it would be interesting to see how they could adapt the "immersive" style staging of this tour to a more traditional approach.