Author Topic: e/i in stadiums?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: e/i in stadiums?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 08:59:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't think they would get the same show either way. If nothing else bound to change the set list to incorporate JT/popular hits for markets not toured in for a decade+

Reckon they would just find a way to adapt the current screen to out door shows. Zoo TV tour mixed stadium and arena? Not sure if they bothered to change anything for that.

For Zoo TV, the indoor stage was a lot smaller, and only used 4 video walls with other smaller TV monitors on the stage.  There was also one drop down projection screen above the stage truss, which showed the same imagery as was on the video walls on stage.  The lighting was also effectively a semi-circle of Trabants around the back of the stage.

When they took it outdoors, a lot of that changed.  Pretty sure they were still using the same four video walls on stage, but they added those giant screens, the lighting/Trabants were different, and the stage was just massive compared to the relatively small indoor one.

Simply put, I don't think the "barricage" that they use would work at all in a stadium--it would be tiny, and the effects lost to the massive crowd.  And in order to achieve a visible effect, you'd probably need to stretch it to be well over 50 yards long.  I'd say the best you could do would be a JT30-style giant screen.  I just don't think they'd use that specific one, since the Joshua Tree icon is literally built into it.  Who knows, maybe they'd even re-use the Vertigo stadium stage.  I think it would be interesting to see how they could adapt the "immersive" style staging of this tour to a more traditional approach.

The tree on TJT outdoor stage is actually a lick and peel removal sticker. This has been confirmed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 10:46:48 AM by miryclay »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »
The barricage is 100 feet long. 

Saint22

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 12:08:21 PM »
Adam's comments make me think they are asking themselves/their crew these exact questions.

I've noticed over the years that Adam is the member of U2 most likely to sort of 'think out out loud' in interviews, and he often likes to share outside-the-box ideas. Bono is the one who can't keep his mouth shut, gets excited and writes checks with his mouth that his ar*e can't cash. Edge is of course cerebral and thoughtful, and Larry is very cautious and conservative.

I think this is just an example of Adam saying 'wouldn't it be nice if we could do this ...' but that doesn't mean there are any real world plans. They likely are considering their options of how they can play outdoors in Australia, New Zealand, South America, Japan with this tour, but I suspect they are going to end up with options that don't really resemble what they are going for with I+E.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 03:34:06 PM »
Bono also does marketing speech / self (band) promotion and it annoys me partly because I used to work for a guy who talked similarly. He made tens of millions on that self promotional talk. Edge mirrors that speech, and I realize I'm making assumptions about who mirrored who but I stand by it. I know they have to talk themselves up but it just feels so... transparent, I guess.

I like Adam's thoughtful style of speech when talking about the band. And Bono is thoughtful when not in self-promo mode. I don't hear much from Larry but he seems to go too far the other way in my admittedly limited experience.

So I vote they keep sending Adam out for this stuff, like calling Rolling Stone.

Ah, now I hear in my head the rest of the band slagging him off - "Adam, you call RS. You have time."

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 09:06:48 PM »
I agree that using the barricage down the middle of the field in a stadium setting just isn't going to happen. It'd be just too costly to lift all that weight, would be a visual obstruction to some unless lifted very high, & at 96' long, wouldn't be anywhere near as immersive or spectacular in a stadium anyway.

If U2 are going to be performing in stadiums again, along with an end-of-field screen, I like EdgeUK8_my_mind's idea about keeping some sort of visual barrier down the centre of the field, along the catwalk. Although, being in a stadium, the barrier cannot hope to equal the effect we get from the barricage in an arena setting. Obviously the barrier has got to be something a lot lighter than the barricage. Though there's something a lot better than white cloth to project images on.

Google "Holo gauze".

Once we'd seen the spoiler videos, before e+i began, I thought we may be getting a giant blue Bono hologram popping out of the screen, not a crappy phone app. Doing a bit of research I came across Holo-gauze. A near transparent material, used in conjunction with 3D projectors, in video productions around the world. Holo-Gauze was developed by Stuart Warren-Hill, the founder of the company Holotronica. Check him out on YouTube, or check the company's website.

Here's a demo video of a small hologram.

And here is a much larger hologram in a concert setting, for Eric Prydz's Epic 5.0. Spectacular!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you look closely you can see the gauze in the pictures, but it's nearly invisible. Being transparent, when not in use the screen will not be much of a visual obstruction for the crowd (unlike the barricage, that obstructs views for people at times).

We all know that U2 isn't afraid of spending a few pennies when it comes to stage design. But if they do tour in stadiums, I can only see those legs being in Oceania/Asia & Europe. So I wouldn't expect a costly CLAW-like structure.

I'm guessing Holo-Gauze would be pricey stuff, though probably nothing compared to what it would cost to build a rig capable of lifting the barricage outdoors.

Unlike the barricage, the screen, just being gauze, wouldn't have a walkway to elevate the band up into the visuals. But I guess the catwalk itself could be elevated at times (at least to a similar height as Bono's performance of Lights of Home). Plenty of bands, like Muse, has used stages that come out of the floor.

All interesting ideas, though I'd much prefer to see arena shows in Oz, it's so much more intimate! A Stones-like stadium/arena mixed tour would be exciting. Actually I'd take just a stadium show over nothing. Beggars can't be choosers. Plus give me Exit! So bummed I missed that performance!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:49:24 PM by d.darroch »

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 04:21:37 PM »
E+I won't work in stadiums.  The show would have to be drastically modified from its current form which I don't think the band would want to do.

a) The sound system being used in arenas takes advantage of the fact there is a roof and rigging points to hang the PA in clusters all around the arena.  This isn't really practical in a stadium environment and would have to be completely changed. Could it be done? Sure. Will it be done? No.

b) The moving LED screen can't be done.  What are you going to rig it to in a stadium? As someone mentioned, you'd need a "claw" structure and that just isn't going to happen. So once again, you are completely changing what the show is.

c) I don't believe the show would translate to a larger venue.  This is an intimate show and was designed that way. The stage would seem tiny in a stadium so additional stage elements would either need to be scaled up or added.  Highly unlikely to happen and even if it did it would lose the essence of the show.

I think U2 missed the logical opportunity to visit Oz and Asia and that was the JT stadium tour.  I think it is highly unlikely you will see the E+I tour in stadiums so the best bet would be 5-10 arena nights in a city or no tour at all.  The actual number of nights per city would depend on the economics of it all and where they are going to break even.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:34:11 PM by jgrooms »

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 07:44:11 PM »
Aside from the obvious reason that stadiums hold way more people, why do u2 stray away from arenas in Australia and Japan?

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
Aside from the obvious reason that stadiums hold way more people, why do u2 stray away from arenas in Australia and Japan?

They actually did arenas in Japan on their last tour there. Often, demand is high in Australia, so to play to 500,000 plus people in arenas can involve a lot of shows. 25+ shows at least. Maybe more especially when you realize die hards go to multiple shows and the volume of shows give other people who would not normally be able to go because of their schedule an opportunity to go. Perhaps demand may not be that high this time. The band prefers to save time in stadiums if the demand is there to fill them all across the country. Either way, for this tour I think they will stay in arenas when they hit Australia, simply because the tour is designed specifically with arenas in mind.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 04:49:55 PM »
Actually in 2006, U2 originally was only going to do 1 stadium show in Yokohama.  I believe the intention was to do 2 shows, but the sales weren't really there (same as Hawaii).  This was to be done in April.  Then the tour got rescheduled to November/December, which is not outdoor concert weather.  So they divided the people who bought tickets for that 1 stadium show into 3 arena shows. 

Historically, U2 haven't been that big of a draw in Japan, other than LoveTown.  During ZooTV, one of the 2 nights in Tokyo was only about 2/3 sold.  During Popmart, they originally allotted for 2 shows in Tokyo, and never even put the 2nd one on sale due to slow sales on the first show.  Tokyo had 34,000 sold, and Osaka had 19,000.  They sold 57,000 tickets on Vertigo over the 3 shows.  They didn't take 360 to Japan because they didn't think it would be profitable to do so.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 01:54:56 AM »
Actually in 2006, U2 originally was only going to do 1 stadium show in Yokohama.  I believe the intention was to do 2 shows, but the sales weren't really there (same as Hawaii).  This was to be done in April.  Then the tour got rescheduled to November/December, which is not outdoor concert weather.  So they divided the people who bought tickets for that 1 stadium show into 3 arena shows. 

Historically, U2 haven't been that big of a draw in Japan, other than LoveTown.  During ZooTV, one of the 2 nights in Tokyo was only about 2/3 sold.  During Popmart, they originally allotted for 2 shows in Tokyo, and never even put the 2nd one on sale due to slow sales on the first show.  Tokyo had 34,000 sold, and Osaka had 19,000.  They sold 57,000 tickets on Vertigo over the 3 shows.  They didn't take 360 to Japan because they didn't think it would be profitable to do so.

The U2 show in Hawaii in 2006 at Aloha Stadium holds the single show attendance record for the venue and the state.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2018, 02:12:14 AM »
E+I won't work in stadiums.  The show would have to be drastically modified from its current form which I don't think the band would want to do.

a) The sound system being used in arenas takes advantage of the fact there is a roof and rigging points to hang the PA in clusters all around the arena.  This isn't really practical in a stadium environment and would have to be completely changed. Could it be done? Sure. Will it be done? No.

b) The moving LED screen can't be done.  What are you going to rig it to in a stadium? As someone mentioned, you'd need a "claw" structure and that just isn't going to happen. So once again, you are completely changing what the show is.

c) I don't believe the show would translate to a larger venue.  This is an intimate show and was designed that way. The stage would seem tiny in a stadium so additional stage elements would either need to be scaled up or added.  Highly unlikely to happen and even if it did it would lose the essence of the show.

I think U2 missed the logical opportunity to visit Oz and Asia and that was the JT stadium tour.  I think it is highly unlikely you will see the E+I tour in stadiums so the best bet would be 5-10 arena nights in a city or no tour at all.  The actual number of nights per city would depend on the economics of it all and where they are going to break even.

True, the current tour translates best to an arena. So I’m hoping that’s what travels down under. Though I’d take a stadium tour over nothing.

It wouldn’t be the first time the tour setup was drastically redesigned mid-tour.

The Vertigo tour stage was totally redesigned for outdoor venues in Europe, Oceania/Asia & South America. With a new curved LED screen, large speaker towers, a large stage with 2 mini b-stages & catwalks.

By the time the Vertigo tour reached down under, a couple of years after HTDAAB was released, the set list had changed quite a bit, with more hits. The same could happen again down under, with a set list more conducive to a stadium setup. Particularly as TJT 2017 tour didn’t make an appearance there. Streets anyone!

So, though it’s unlikely, it’s a possibility this could happen again for legs in Europe & down under. I guess much of it will depend on whether the bean counters think an arena tour will be profitable down under.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:27:06 AM by d.darroch »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
EdgeUK8_my_mind, here are some pretty cool projections from Muse's Drone tour. Plenty more throughout the show. Looks like some pretty cool tech, & probably much cheaper & easier to do than a giant LED screen.

Also, anyone know if we can embed YouTube videos in @U2 forum posts? I can't work it out.