Author Topic: U2 tattoo thoughts?  (Read 256 times)

Offline NPinDC

• Stranger in a Strange Land
U2 tattoo thoughts?
« on: May 30, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »
So I am about to take the plunge for my first tattoo, and I've decided that that which I had planned to get second actually makes more sense for the first. And of course, U2 is the foundation.

Two aspects that I'm looking at:

1. Which of two particular quotes.
   1. "Are you tough enough to be kind" from 13 (There is a Light)
   2. "Are you tough enough for ordinary love" (Ordinary Love, of course)
2. How to portray it:
   1. I'm having trouble figuring out how I want it to look. I'm a words person, and thinking of graphic/visual ideas that might be good with these quotes is not my natural.

I think I like the "kind" variation of the quote a bit more. It may be that the melody is biasing me a bit (I like 13's melody a little more than Ordinary Love's. No offense to OL!).

I find kindness and the ordinary actions that the deepest love (a set of doings rather than feelings) requires a sort of toughness and grit to do, rather than to respond with something like anger or indifference. "Loving-kindness" (to use an old formulation) takes more engagement and control than other ways of reacting and being.

The only idea that I have come up with for a visual way to portray and make this something besides that typical "tattoo cursive" is to use something like Bono's handwriting. I know that there's that handwritten OL out there, but I'd almost prefer the 13 (TIAL) variation.

So:

1. Which quote? Arguments (I'm happy to have a good philosophical/theological discussion!) welcome
2. How to make it look at least slightly distinctive?

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Re: U2 tattoo thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
I like the 13 quote better, too. It's easier to understand, for one thing - some people may not instantly get the concept of ordinary love. And really, it's the same quote, so it's not a matter of choosing two different concepts. BTW I am also a fan of these quotes and have been thinking about them often in my day to day life.

My only thoughts on visuals are:
1) Consider incorporating "light" somehow.
2) Ask the tatoo artist for thoughts. I think most of them like to help design the art. Explain the quote and the "there is a light" theme and s/he may have some ideas.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »
"Are you tough enough to be kind."  is a great quote.  Would like great underneath a Celtic cross.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 06:53:28 PM »
Or a Celtic circle.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:01:44 PM »
The words themselves could go in a circle. Or around your arm/ankle.

Or the words could make the outline of a lightbulb shape.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »
The words could outline a light bulb shape, and "U2" or "13" could be made to look like the filament of the bulb. Done cleverly, you wouldn't even know the filament said anything unless you looked closely.

Offline NPinDC

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »
Mph. I like the idea of light.

I do NOT (no offense meant) like Celtic-alia. Not my thing, since I'm not in the least Celtic or of such derivation. Also, there is a lot of bad Celtic-style tattoo-ery out there… ;-)

Offline NPinDC

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 09:18:42 AM »
What about Bono's handwriting? Anyone know where I can get "to be kind" in some combination or iteration? (I can get "Are you tough enough" from the "ordinary love" handwritten copy in U2 by U2, I think.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 12:56:39 PM »
Depends on where you are going to get it. 2 of my tattoos have U2 lyrics (one of them from OL in fact!) and I always suggest to people that the less text the more impactful it is. Or to avoid text because not all fonts age well. But my OL tat gets the most attention, so if your gut tells you to go a certain way, do it! This is for you primarily, so just make certain not to get it on a whim (which it doesn't seem to be since you're asking these questions)

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
The artist could try to mimic the handwriting of the last three words based on the style of the first four

or

you could use a different font for those words - which is ok because there is a natural phrasing break there. A graphic artist making a poster would probably do that, switching to a bolder presentation of "to be kind" or at least just "kind."

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 03:17:43 AM »
Maybe the backside of Achtung Baby (LP) will help you

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login