Author Topic: No Line On The Horizon  (Read 1532 times)

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
No Line On The Horizon
« on: May 31, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »
NLOTH is my favorite U2 album of the 21st century, yet this album seems to get little to know love from the band or U2 fans in general. I am curious as to why?

I realize the notion behind this album was to be experimental and I believe it was achieved, albeit in a minimalist way. Further, the worst song on the album, Boots was the lead single which runs counter thematically to the rest of the album. That aside, the album was some of my favorite U2 songs ever including Magnificent and Moment of Surrender, the latter being the band's 21st century WOWY in my opinion.

Really would like to see 1-2 songs from this album resurrected on the current tour.

Offline McSwilly

• Stateless
Re: No Line On The Horizon
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:37:09 PM »
the reason is that it is over-produced, boring and lacks the passion of good U2 music. Also, the Single Get On Your Boots was a complete embarrassment. Just my opinion, and I still love U2, the greatest live band ever.

Online JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »
It’s the third person writing in my opinion.
 And things like sycopated (did I spell that right?)drums in a fantastic song MoS that make it a little annoying here and there all over the album.  Birds and sh**, talk singing etc

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:49:16 PM »
Birds n sh** is the name of my band.

Online JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Birds n sh** is the name of my band.
nice!

Offline 64ac30

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »
I quite like Fez and Cedars.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 02:03:35 AM »
It's frustrating for me to listen to because imo it's a strangely bad album with lots of great music in it. If that makes sense. The opening 3 tracks are outstanding, unknown caller is almost a good song but too bloated, then comes the trio that everyone hates. I actually don't hat them as songs, they're average but completely disrupt the flow of the album. The last 4 tracks are great with the exception of Breathe, which to me sounds like it was neutered in production. But by the time the album's finished, you feel a bit exhausted and confused rather than fulfilled. It's all over the place and the original concept of the album seemed to get lost and never quite clawed back.

It's a shame because it had the potential to be my favourite ever album of theirs, and much of the music on the record is amongst their very best imo. It was let down by bad decisions, but I still enjoy it more than Bomb and probably ATYCLB even though it has more flaws. The 2 records since have been much more cohesive and well structured.

Offline BONO31

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 02:21:38 AM »
"No Line On The Horizon" is one of the best U2 album ever!
With time, this album will be like "PoP" in the heart of every U2 fans.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 03:27:30 AM »
Not for me.

Last two albums have been far better.

Although, I do love Magnificent and MOS. NLOTH as a song is quite good too

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 04:30:09 AM »
To me this is by far U2's greatest album they've ever done, and I've been following them since 1987.
If I haven't heard this album at a particular time of my life I would have not been alive, it has contributed a lot for me to reach the light, as it contextualizes a journey from darkness and being lost to rebirth and eternal state of inner love and a place of home in the heart.
Get On Your Boots carries one of the most significant themes of the whole album (getting into the sound = the water = the spirit), in the sound itself it is the essence of the album in its uncertainty of life and throwing away all pretenses and masks (the same like The Fly of AB in its disillusionment and hiding behind the masks). Notice how the sound of the bass line paints a feeling of like being under the water, then the music changes like being in some vortex spinning you around and around to reach some kind of the center. The middle section of the album encapsulates the true essence of release from the mind which comes from a child-like innocence (in-no-sense) of simple melodies and simple nonsensical uplifting joys, a child does not analyze logic of lyrics or melodies, it rides on them, it feels a psychedelic sensation, one has to alter the state of mind so the heart could feel the music, the latter half of the album goes into rebirth and a reason for living. First half contemplates Earthly highs and lows, the latter half reaches etheric Heavenly highs and lows, usually experienced later in life... and so making the middle section a center point where an adult meets a child, and the album is ending in nothingness that created matter. The album is so perfect because of its perfectly non-linear narrative, that makes sense only when you don't think about it, but feel it as a whole. But one can not feel it if the mind is not altered, that's why so many can't get it, it starts with the mind getting in the sound, with the key word - surrender.

Songs Of Ascent in context would have been a perfect follow up, as the next journey of reaching even higher.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 03:04:36 PM by Sunchild »

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 04:32:47 AM »
It could have been amazing.  If they had stuck with the original plan, which was to write and record in Morocco, soak up the influences there and great something low-key and atmospheric, it would have been an album that would have been critically acclaimed and adored by hardcore fans.

Songs like Fez, Soon, Winter and Cedars Of Babylon are an indication of where they could have gone with this

I think the problem was that they had the 360 tour booked so they second guessed themselves and tried to shoe-horn some very badly-written "hits" in, purely to play live.

The resulting album is, as someone above said, a bad album tie some great songs on.  I've also heard someone describe it as "U2 sounding like they were trying too hard and not hard enough at the same time".

Another fault is that is it both over-produced and badly mixed.

Offline laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 05:48:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To me this is by far U2's greatest album they've ever done, and I've been following them since 1987.
If I haven't heard this album at a particular time of my life I would have not been alive, it has contributed a lot for me to reach the light, as it contextualizes a journey from darkness and being lost to rebirth and eternal state of inner love and a place of home in the heart.
Get On Your Boots carries one of the most significant themes of the whole album (getting into the sound = the water = the spirit), in the sound itself it is the essence of the album in its uncertainty of life and throwing away all pretenses and masks (the same like The Fly of AB in its disillusionment and hiding behind the masks). Notice how the sound of the bass line paints a feeling of like being under the water, then the music changes like being in some vortex spinning you around and around to reach some kind of the center. The middle section of the album encapsulates the true essence of release from the mind which comes from a child-like innocence (in-no-sense) of simple melodies and simple nonsensical uplifting joys, a child does not analyze logic of lyrics or melodies, it rides on them, it feels a psychedelic sensation, one has to alter the state of mind so the heart could feel the music, the latter half of the album goes into rebirth and a reason for living. First half contemplates Earthly highs and lows, the latter half reaches etheric Heavenly highs and lows... making the middle section a center point where an adult meets a child, and the album is ending in nothingness that created matter. The album is so perfect because of its perfectly non-linear narrative, that makes sense only when you don't think about it, but feel it as a whole. But one can not feel it if the mind is not altered, that's why so many can't get it, it starts with the mind getting in the sound, with the key word - surrender.

Songs Of Ascent in context would have been a perfect follow up, as the next journey of reaching even higher.

For me interesting is also that most people seem to love the middle 3 songs the most, but it seems that not many diehard U2 fans.

This is beautiful, thank you.

Online JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 07:56:19 AM »
Although I love Boots unlike the rest of you!

This album has some great lyrics

“I got a submarine you got gasoline “

“Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady”

“Head lit like a cigarette”

“ I was speeding off the subway though the stations of the cross”

Even when U2 sucks they are genius

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 08:44:42 AM »
I also like Boots, lol. 

Fans and critics are all over the place:
Hey U2, take some risks, will ya?
Oh U2, stop trying to be so artsy-fartsy and just do what you do best.

It's a less accessible album but there is a lot about it to like.  I use the "I Know I'll Go Crazy..." remix in my cycle classes.  "It's not a hill, it's a mountain/As you start out the climb"=PERFECT!

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 08:45:19 AM »
My favorite U2 album since the early ‘90s, though I’ve almost always felt slightly apologetic for saying so.  Can it really be 9.5 years since it was released?!?!?  It still holds up for me. 

What I’ve found interesting about this album is that it gives me a feeling that no other piece of music gives me – U2 or otherwise.  It takes me somewhere else.  It shows me something more.   It’s highly uplifting.  I love the way it sounds. 

I find the title track and “Breathe” to be two of the latter day U2 songs that could easily end up in my top 20.  In fact, I always rate the title track as a top 5 U2 song.  Once the whole band kicks in early in “No Line on the Horizon” –  when The Edge sounds like a gigantic/titanic-freight train/dinosaur-hippopotamus -- well, regardless of what you think of 21st century U2, I think it makes it all worth it.  I could go on and on, and someday I’ll do an in-depth ode of love tribute to this album on this forum. 

I’ve always maintained that whenever U2 decides to “call it a day,” when the journalists are writing the U2 obituary, this album will be singularly referenced as an overlooked or misunderstood latter-day classic.  Even in 2018, it sounds like it came out 20 years too early. 

End gush.  Stop.