Author Topic: No Line On The Horizon  (Read 1548 times)

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: No Line On The Horizon
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I also like Boots, lol. 

Fans and critics are all over the place:
Hey U2, take some risks, will ya?
Oh U2, stop trying to be so artsy-fartsy and just do what you do best.

It's a less accessible album but there is a lot about it to like.  I use the "I Know I'll Go Crazy..." remix in my cycle classes.  "It's not a hill, it's a mountain/As you start out the climb"=PERFECT!
I always thought that would be great for spin!

Offline Onob_Nosweh

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 10:23:41 AM »
NLOTH is my favorite U2 album of the 21st century, yet this album seems to get little to know love from the band or U2 fans in general. I am curious as to why?

"I was punching in the numbers at the ATM machine"  :P

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 10:42:52 AM »
Boots was actually great live on the European leg

Offline Tortuga

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »
NLOTH is my favorite since ATYCLB.  I get kind of annoyed at the "over-produced" criticism.  Its so vague that its meaningless.  An album is either well-produced or poorly-produced (or somewhere in between).  It can't be over- or under-produced.  What does that even mean?  I think what people are trying to say is that they think there was too much tinkering in the mixing phase, too much adding in of sound effects or audio effects.  But that's an odd criticism of U2 because traditionally that has always been a big part of what they do.  The albums have always been heavy on atmosphere, even in the Lillywhite days.  War had a movie soundtrack in the background.  October had lots of ambience added in the mix.  It all blends with Edge's heavy use of echo and shimmer.  "Wake up Deadman"?  "Zooropa"?  These had "Pink Floyd'ish" background sounds mixed in.  AB had a lot of heavily processed guitar riffs that weren't really integrated into the song and were probably edited in.   (Opening of UTEOW.)

If what you mean is "too polished" as in too much fixing of imperfect performances, I don't hear that in NLOTH at all.

If what you mean by "overproduced" is it has too much of the producer's hand and not enough of pure U2, I think you have to think twice about NLOTH because Lanois, in particular, has practically been a fifth member of the band for many albums and as such is part of the sound we all define as "U2".  In contrast SOI and SOE are all over the place in musical styles...especially SOE.  It is so obvious that there are different producers involved in different songs.  Compare "The Showman" to "Summer of Love" to "American Soul"...When you can kind of tell who produced the song without looking at the credits and you have all these dramatically different styles, you know there was a lot of producer influence overpowering the band.  I don't care if a lot of what I'm hearing is the producer if its good.  To me, there is no such thing as "authentic" in music.  The music is what it is, regardless of who made it that way.  But I do think bringing in too many producers in you end up with a kaleidoscope of a mess, which is what I hear in SOE.  But I don't hear that in NLOTH...it all sounds like Eno/Lanois era U2, except for the "rockin'" songs in the middle...and I agree that's a flaw from an album perspective, even if the songs themselves are good.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »
   Well, I'm probably in the minority, but this is one of my favorite U2 albums ever, definitely in the top three on any given day.  I love so many songs on this album, as well as the moody and atmospheric tone.  GOYB is not as bad as people make it out to be.  I do agree with many posters who feel like "Winter" and "Soon" would have made great additions to this album.  I wonder, like the earlier poster, whether people will "get" this album in a future time.  It speaks to issues related to loss, grief, rebirth, that sometimes you have to be a bit older and wiser to understand.  They were aiming toward some kind of "hymn of the future" and I think they certainly succeeded in "Unknown Caller", "Magnificent", "No Line", even "Breathe".  If you add "Soon" and "Winter" to that mix I think you get a pretty fair glimpse of what they were aspiring towards.  Listening to this album makes me anticipate "Songs of Ascent", which I hope will continue in this vein.

Offline Tortuga

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
   Well, I'm probably in the minority, but this is one of my favorite U2 albums ever, definitely in the top three on any given day.  I love so many songs on this album, as well as the moody and atmospheric tone.  GOYB is not as bad as people make it out to be.  I do agree with many posters who feel like "Winter" and "Soon" would have made great additions to this album.  I wonder, like the earlier poster, whether people will "get" this album in a future time.  It speaks to issues related to loss, grief, rebirth, that sometimes you have to be a bit older and wiser to understand.  They were aiming toward some kind of "hymn of the future" and I think they certainly succeeded in "Unknown Caller", "Magnificent", "No Line", even "Breathe".  If you add "Soon" and "Winter" to that mix I think you get a pretty fair glimpse of what they were aspiring towards.  Listening to this album makes me anticipate "Songs of Ascent", which I hope will continue in this vein.

This sums up what I like about it too.  The lyrics are marred by technology metaphors but somehow the theme and feel survives and its a much more meaningful one to me than SOI/SOE.  The whole SOI/SOE “this is the story of U2/Bono’s journey”, to me is boring and self-indulgent and not all that universal.  Two whole albums all about themselves.  Okay but I realize this thread is about NLOTH, not SOI/SOE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 08:41:06 PM »
I'm not returning to SOI often, but I have enjoyed SOE quite a bit and am still listening to it.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 10:18:43 PM »
No Line is 2/3rd of a brilliant U2 album. Unfortunately the other 1/3rd is majorly unsatisfying.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
NLOTH is my favorite U2 album of the 21st century, yet this album seems to get little to know love from the band or U2 fans in general. I am curious as to why?

I realize the notion behind this album was to be experimental and I believe it was achieved, albeit in a minimalist way. Further, the worst song on the album, Boots was the lead single which runs counter thematically to the rest of the album. That aside, the album was some of my favorite U2 songs ever including Magnificent and Moment of Surrender, the latter being the band's 21st century WOWY in my opinion.

Really would like to see 1-2 songs from this album resurrected on the current tour.

Thank you! Finally someone agrees with me!!!!!

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 02:42:00 AM »

I realize the notion behind this album was to be experimental and I believe it was achieved, albeit in a minimalist way. Further, the worst song on the album, Boots was the lead single which runs counter thematically to the rest of the album. That aside, the album was some of my favorite U2 songs ever including Magnificent and Moment of Surrender, the latter being the band's 21st century WOWY in my opinion.

Really would like to see 1-2 songs from this album resurrected on the current tour.

Looking at things now, I think NLOTH was a bit before its time.  That's why I like it.  I always liked it, but in the context of SOI & SOE it sounds like it sonically is before SOI but lyrically, some of it should come after SOE?  But the meditative start and end of SOE has a more refined sound than some of NLOTH.  What I mean is that LIAWHL and 13 sound tighter and fit better with where Bono is lyrically at the moment.  It's a quieter meditation - although perhaps Cedars of Lebanon is as close as they got on NLOTH?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
IMHO, it's their worst album by far.  There are some good moments, but the lows are so low I can't even enjoy those.

Offline Saint22

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »
I love NLOTH.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2018, 03:27:34 PM »
Mee too.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 02:08:06 AM »

Plenty of people agree with you.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
This album has a bit of a cult following really. Agree with the comments of it being 2/3 great and 1/3 awful. It really had so much potential given songs like Fez, MOS and COL. Even Unknown Caller was interestingly adventurous but didn't work for me. I remember a quote from Larry some time after the album came out that the whole process of making the album was an ordeal. This seems to be at least in part why the band don't play anything from it. And it that context they were working with Rick Rubin and started all over again with Eno. Did some stuff in Morocco and others elsewhere. Can imagine it a draining process even by their standards. And then they fluffed Boots as lead single thinking it was Vertigo Part 2. I don't mind the song but it shouldn't have been the lead single. And how they left off Winter is mind boggling. If only they had been braver and gone with the experimental side of the album rather than selling out and including bog standard songs like SUC, Crazy and even Breathe.