Author Topic: Will a week off lead to setlist variety?  (Read 1424 times)

Saint22

Re: Will a week off lead to setlist variety?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After going to both shows in SJ and Vegas, I was hoping they would vary the set for Chicago. All they did was take away more songs. Well, that is the way it is this tour. No more shows for me this tour.

It is a great show. A great theatrical show. I would not expect changes- if they do- kudos to those attending those shows! I loved going to shows in 2015  where they rotated a song in the beginning, end and two variable songs in the middle. But, this is a different tour.

It really isn't any different from ZooTV, TBH. There were very few changes from night to night; only from leg to leg. We'll see if E+I changes up any when it heads to Europe. It is really hard for me to imagine American Soul in Europe. though Get Out Of Your Own Way could take on a Brexit theme.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 02:12:10 PM »
After going to both shows in SJ and Vegas, I was hoping they would vary the set for Chicago. All they did was take away more songs. Well, that is the way it is this tour. No more shows for me this tour.

It is a great show. A great theatrical show. I would not expect changes- if they do- kudos to those attending those shows! I loved going to shows in 2015  where they rotated a song in the beginning, end and two variable songs in the middle. But, this is a different tour.

It really isn't any different from ZooTV, TBH. There were very few changes from night to night; only from leg to leg. We'll see if E+I changes up any when it heads to Europe. It is really hard for me to imagine American Soul in Europe. though Get Out Of Your Own Way could take on a Brexit theme.

Since Pop, they always changed shows. 2001, 2005 and 2015 all had variable sets. They even changed up 360 a bit, and when they played two shows, they rotated Ultraviolet- one of my favorite songs. Though, 360 changes had a lot to do with dumping NLOTH songs. I think is is admirable that they put on such a fixed-theatrical show. Would have helped me if I had known, but no regrets! Just two shows next tour if it happens.

Saint22

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »

Since Pop, they always changed shows. 2001, 2005 and 2015 all had variable sets. They even changed up 360 a bit, and when they played two shows, they rotated Ultraviolet- one of my favorite songs. Though, 360 changes had a lot to do with dumping NLOTH songs. I think is is admirable that they put on such a fixed-theatrical show. Would have helped me if I had known, but no regrets! Just two shows next tour if it happens.

Right, but they didn't really attempt a narrative on those tours your mention -- other than 2015. For ZooTV, the tech demanded the setlist not change from night to night, and that's pretty-much where they are in 2018. The difference being, in 2015, they had a couple of spots where they felt comfortable rotating different 'types' of songs in certain slots, but this time around, they seem to have found a formula they really like, and they seem committed to what each song 'does' in a certain place.

The only exception being, really, Gloria and All Because Of You, but when you think about it, those two songs are basically high-energy praise songs that wouldn't be out of place at a contemporary church service. Thematically, they are interchangeable.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
Anyone listening to the xm channel? There was a Bono snipit about fans, particularly arguing about the set list.  And he says that the fans keep them honest, but they are not gonna kiss our ar**s.  So we got Acrobat, the rest we won’t get to choose lol

Online 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2018, 03:23:35 AM »
The honest answer to the OP question is....

We haven't got much longer to find out.  Hold on and enjoy the ride.

Offline afg

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
Just bring back Wild Horses, and add a few more songs from Pop, Zooropa, or Achtung and I would be happy.

Online 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 03:16:41 AM »
The answer is no....
But hopefully there will be some change around tonight for those wanting it because it's the second night at Montreal.  There tends to be a switch around when more than one night is played at the same stop. 
The band seemed to have a break rather than spend lots of time working on the set/performance.
I'm fine with that.