Author Topic: Sirius XM Apollo Contest - Another U2 Ticket Blunder  (Read 1024 times)

Offline stlmurph

• Babyface
Sirius XM Apollo Contest - Another U2 Ticket Blunder
« on: June 07, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »
I have been trying to win tickets to the Apollo show (Spoiler alert:  I know the odds are very, very thin).

So for a good part of the week, when I have had down time at home and some calm times at the office, I have been listening on my Sirius XM app on my iphone.
It appears that there is a lag of about six minutes between what is playing on my app and what is playing on my car radio, which I found out this morning.
I realize that there are stored audio programs and there is an option to GOLIVE onto the current live stream.  And given technology, I would expect a slight delay between the satellite sream and the phone stream.

But the lag is six minutes.  I was in my car at 8:30 ET this morning and heard Angel of Harlem and tried to get through.  I was in my office parking lot.  After about five minutes of the calls not even going through, I put on my headphones and walked into the offce. I did hit the GoLive button on the app and the music shifted to what I believed was live content.   At 8:36 ET guess what, Angel of Harlem started on my phone app.   For fun, I tried to call in.  And the message was already up that the number was not available. No tbusy, jus that it was not taking calls.

What that means to me is that all of us who have been listening to Sirius xm with the hopes of at least trying to win tickets – from our apps – have had zero chance of winning tickets.

There is lots of text in the disclaimer and contest rules, so my thoughts are not towards suing anyone.
What I am painfully reminded of, is just what a Cluster Fork ticketing has been as a U2 fan whos first show was in October of 1987  For 30 years and 50-plus shows in three countries, I have watched them get  the social justice thing right;  the music right, and  the “how to stay together for 30 years as friends and still make great music thing “ right.  What they failed at over and over was the ticketing.  THis experience is stark reminder as they cant even give tickets away without causing frustration with fans. Sure, its a hot commodity.  yes, there are only 1,500 seats.  My odds were low from the start.  But I just wanted a fair chance.

its very painful to be drawn to four people who we all wanted to be, are admired from all corners of the world and put on a great show, only to be pushed back down like the people they often sing about in their songs.

Two ironies.  First, the little snippet from Bono right before they played Angel of Harlem was about his admiration for the fan.  The second irony is that now that ticket sales are the major revenue stream for bands like U2, they are not selling out as many fans like me have not gone to the shows because we don’t want to pay 250 bucks to sit half way up the side of the sports hall.  Sure, they fill the venues, and they get “Best Touring Awards,”  but it just didn’t need to be this painful.

I hope Sirius will rethink this type of promotion in the future given the lag. 

One of the other interview snippets I listened to (many times over) was Bono talking about how he has a “discussion” with the fans even though it is not face to face.  I hope that’s true and he will listen and respond. 

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Sirius XM Apollo Contest - Another U2 Ticket Blunder
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have been trying to win tickets to the Apollo show (Spoiler alert:  I know the odds are very, very thin).

So for a good part of the week, when I have had down time at home and some calm times at the office, I have been listening on my Sirius XM app on my iphone.
It appears that there is a lag of about six minutes between what is playing on my app and what is playing on my car radio, which I found out this morning.
I realize that there are stored audio programs and there is an option to GOLIVE onto the current live stream.  And given technology, I would expect a slight delay between the satellite sream and the phone stream.

But the lag is six minutes.  I was in my car at 8:30 ET this morning and heard Angel of Harlem and tried to get through.  I was in my office parking lot.  After about five minutes of the calls not even going through, I put on my headphones and walked into the offce. I did hit the GoLive button on the app and the music shifted to what I believed was live content.   At 8:36 ET guess what, Angel of Harlem started on my phone app.   For fun, I tried to call in.  And the message was already up that the number was not available. No tbusy, jus that it was not taking calls.

What that means to me is that all of us who have been listening to Sirius xm with the hopes of at least trying to win tickets – from our apps – have had zero chance of winning tickets.

There is lots of text in the disclaimer and contest rules, so my thoughts are not towards suing anyone.
What I am painfully reminded of, is just what a Cluster Fork ticketing has been as a U2 fan whos first show was in October of 1987  For 30 years and 50-plus shows in three countries, I have watched them get  the social justice thing right;  the music right, and  the “how to stay together for 30 years as friends and still make great music thing “ right.  What they failed at over and over was the ticketing.  THis experience is stark reminder as they cant even give tickets away without causing frustration with fans. Sure, its a hot commodity.  yes, there are only 1,500 seats.  My odds were low from the start.  But I just wanted a fair chance.

its very painful to be drawn to four people who we all wanted to be, are admired from all corners of the world and put on a great show, only to be pushed back down like the people they often sing about in their songs.

Two ironies.  First, the little snippet from Bono right before they played Angel of Harlem was about his admiration for the fan.  The second irony is that now that ticket sales are the major revenue stream for bands like U2, they are not selling out as many fans like me have not gone to the shows because we don’t want to pay 250 bucks to sit half way up the side of the sports hall.  Sure, they fill the venues, and they get “Best Touring Awards,”  but it just didn’t need to be this painful.

One of the other interview snippets I listened to (many times over) was Bono talking about how he has a “discussion” with the fans even though it is not face to face.  I hope that’s true and he will listen and respond. 

I hope that Bono is lurking long enough to see your post and take it in.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
It’s XM running this thing.  When corporations do this stuff they stack it with their sponsors anway.  I doubt there is much room for fans.  It’s the nature of the beast People.

Offline stlmurph

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
Thank you JT, I share the same thought as well.  I just wish paid more attention to things like that.   Clearly no one close to the band sifted through the details of this promotion.

Saint22

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »
Thank you JT, I share the same thought as well.  I just wish paid more attention to things like that.   Clearly no one close to the band sifted through the details of this promotion.

They hire people to do that for them. Seriously; this is someone's job, and they failed and made the band look bad to at least one fan.

I've often said that, if I were in a band of U2's stature, I would have a 'fan advisory board' that would be part of my marketing and PR team, to keep from doing idiotic things like, oh, I don't know, adding ZooTV Live From Sydney and Zooropa to the Achtung Baby box set.  >:(

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 01:35:52 PM »
I’ve never seen a band play their White Whale for fans like they have, Acrobat!

They pay people good money to handle the business while they create.  So I’m sure their people go with what’s standard in the industry.

And the XM thing is going about like industry standard.

Saint22

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:56:32 AM »
I’ve never seen a band play their White Whale for fans like they have, Acrobat!

They pay people good money to handle the business while they create.  So I’m sure their people go with what’s standard in the industry.

And the XM thing is going about like industry standard.

You can pretty-much count on at least one Valentine to fans per tour.

Offline Eciszak

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:04:47 PM »
Does anyone have the number to call in?

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »

Somehow, U2 fan site staff have won tickets to this random event, as seen on social media posts.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »

Somehow, U2 fan site staff have won tickets to this random event, as seen on social media posts.

Thats because they are focused on the prize and invested in the U2 community. Don't being crying foul at the first glimpse of perception slight.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
I saw them tweet the pics In their vintage t-shirts everyone could have done that or called after angel of Harlem.  I didn’t try why because there is now way I could get there

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 01:29:05 PM »
I saw them tweet the pics In their vintage t-shirts everyone could have done that or called after angel of Harlem.  I didn’t try why because there is now way I could get there

Email I got from U2 said nothing about tweeting vintage t-shirts.

For one night only the band are back in the intimate environment of a theatre. And not just any theatre. On Monday June 11th, SiriusXM present a special U2 show at Harlem's legendary Apollo Theatre.

It'll be the band's most intimate New York City show in nearly twenty years - and you could be there!

Here’s how.

On the #U2eiTour, Bono explains that the songs in the show tell a story - about the loss of innocence in youth and the quest for wisdom on the other side of experience.

What’s the U2 song that captures - for you - innocence or experience ? And why?

Use the form below - and make sure you enter by THIS MONDAY, June 4, 5pm ET.

We’ll randomly select 25 subscribers who will each get a pair of tickets.

Who knows, your luck might be in…

SUBMISSION TIME FRAME HAS ENDED.
Thanks to everyone who put their name into the Apollo hat. Some lucky people have now been randomly selected - and they’re coming to the show! Until the next one...

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 01:55:57 PM »
There were more than one way to win.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
There were different ways to win:
1. Sirius XM--enter to win tickets, travel, and hotel through their website--for subscribers.
2. Sirius XM--enter to win tickets through their website--for subscribers.
3. U2.com entry about song that captures innocence/experience for you--for subscribers.
4. When you hear Angel of Harlem on Sirius XM channel 30 call in and 10th caller wins tickets.
5. Posting pictures wearing you U2 vintage shirt on Twitter--#ApolloEntry

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »
But crying foul is easy and winning is bad.