Author Topic: Has U2 lost their "swag?"  (Read 1398 times)

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
Re: Has U2 lost their "swag?"
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
Time waits for no one. Even though they are still producing quality music, these guys are old and they can not relate to the millennial (my generation). Still love them though.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 06:26:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Time waits for no one. Even though they are still producing quality music, these guys are old and they can not relate to the millennial (my generation). Still love them though.
neither can I much lol. 

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 05:48:57 AM »
Long lost - have you seen the tassels on Edge's leather jacket - that went out of style, or maybe was never in style.

Since they haven't made a solid good album since Achtung, I think most swag has been lost, though Adam and Larry are still damn cool.

Hard to have swag when you are curtaining off the unsold seats in your latest tour because the new songs are a total bore.

did I mention that I LOVE U2, since 1983. Best live band ever.

Can you name a band that has never had to curtain off unsold seats?

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 05:49:33 AM »
They had swag in the 90's... The 80's were too earnest and the 00's onward too messianic complex and mingling with people of power.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 06:01:24 AM »
They had swag in the 90's... The 80's were too earnest and the 00's onward too messianic complex and mingling with people of power.

They attempted to be cool during POPMART but were judged by the general public and casual fans as being very uncool.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 06:18:59 AM »

They attempted to be cool during POPMART but were judged by the general public and casual fans as being very uncool.

Maybe the only time in their career they truly were cool by consensus were Achtung Baby/Zoo Tv era.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:20:38 AM by Rasmus »

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 06:37:56 AM »

Maybe the only time in their career they truly were cool by consensus were Achtung Baby/Zoo Tv era.

The late 80s, early 90s and the 00s they were considered cool.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 07:38:19 AM »
In true cool kids popular fashion, they have more fans then the cool bands so who wants to be cool?

Just like high School the click of 30 kids has less friends then the rest of us who are friends with everyone

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »
I took a friend of mine to the U2 show in Atlanta a week or so ago.  He's not a big U2 fan - knows some of their songs, but had never seen them perform live.  He was blown away by the performance - nearly brought to tears by the Staring at the Sun / Pride sequence.  He was mesmerized from the opening song until the very end.  After the show, he said "I've seen a lot of bands perform, but I now realize I had never seen a real rock star perform.  Now I understand who they're all trying to emulate."

Yes, U2 has matured and Bono no longer climbs the scaffolding or runs circles around the arena at full speed.  But they have not lost their swagger.  The Acrobat performance every night, for example, is as electrifying and impactful as anything I've seen them do, and I've been going to U2 concerts for over 20 years.  I think sometimes the biggest U2 fans are the most critical.  We get lost in analyzing and critiquing the minutia that we lose perspective on just how powerful U2 still is as a live band.

This. I think that last sentence represents a good argument here as well. If you pay attention to a band long enough, you’re going to overanalyze things and think you’re seeing certain things which might not really be there. That’s not a cut into the OP either… this happens on just about every band/music/movie/TV forum I go to. People will read into body language or looks and think someone has health problems, or look like they’re going through the motions and don’t want to be in the band, etc. I don’t really allow myself to do that because really, we don’t know what’s going on other than what we’re seeing. Think of all the stuff we hide or don’t tell our co-workers, friends or even family members… how can I really assume what’s going on unless I’m the actual person, you know?

Grhawi’s experience with their friend here also reminds me of what happened last year when I brought my sister to a show. She wasn’t a huge fan before that and only became familiar with some of the songs when I told her to give them a few listens before the show. She was blown away. Enjoyed a lot of the songs, got a wave from Bono at one point, and even choked up during a song or two. Afterward, she told me “You told me you were taking me to a show! You didn’t tell me it was going to be an experience!” She didn’t go and hear Vertigo and thought, “Someone’s trying too hard” or that the 2017 version of WOWY was worse than the other tours. Unless you pay attention closely over the years, those types of opinions aren’t going to come up. You either enjoy it or you don’t.

When I saw the band live last month, I didn’t see much out of the ordinary, honestly. I saw a band appear to enjoy what they’re doing and certain members doing the usual theatrics. No one was screaming “Love me!” to the crowd or dressing like a 20-year-old singing rapping over hip-hop beats.

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2018, 09:26:28 AM »
I took a friend of mine to the U2 show in Atlanta a week or so ago.  He's not a big U2 fan - knows some of their songs, but had never seen them perform live.  He was blown away by the performance - nearly brought to tears by the Staring at the Sun / Pride sequence.  He was mesmerized from the opening song until the very end.  After the show, he said "I've seen a lot of bands perform, but I now realize I had never seen a real rock star perform.  Now I understand who they're all trying to emulate."

Yes, U2 has matured and Bono no longer climbs the scaffolding or runs circles around the arena at full speed.  But they have not lost their swagger.  The Acrobat performance every night, for example, is as electrifying and impactful as anything I've seen them do, and I've been going to U2 concerts for over 20 years.  I think sometimes the biggest U2 fans are the most critical.  We get lost in analyzing and critiquing the minutia that we lose perspective on just how powerful U2 still is as a live band.

This. I think that last sentence represents a good argument here as well. If you pay attention to a band long enough, you’re going to overanalyze things and think you’re seeing certain things which might not really be there. That’s not a cut into the OP either… this happens on just about every band/music/movie/TV forum I go to. People will read into body language or looks and think someone has health problems, or look like they’re going through the motions and don’t want to be in the band, etc. I don’t really allow myself to do that because really, we don’t know what’s going on other than what we’re seeing. Think of all the stuff we hide or don’t tell our co-workers, friends or even family members… how can I really assume what’s going on unless I’m the actual person, you know?

Grhawi’s experience with their friend here also reminds me of what happened last year when I brought my sister to a show. She wasn’t a huge fan before that and only became familiar with some of the songs when I told her to give them a few listens before the show. She was blown away. Enjoyed a lot of the songs, got a wave from Bono at one point, and even choked up during a song or two. Afterward, she told me “You told me you were taking me to a show! You didn’t tell me it was going to be an experience!” She didn’t go and hear Vertigo and thought, “Someone’s trying too hard” or that the 2017 version of WOWY was worse than the other tours. Unless you pay attention closely over the years, those types of opinions aren’t going to come up. You either enjoy it or you don’t.

When I saw the band live last month, I didn’t see much out of the ordinary, honestly. I saw a band appear to enjoy what they’re doing and certain members doing the usual theatrics. No one was screaming “Love me!” to the crowd or dressing like a 20-year-old singing rapping over hip-hop beats.
I definitely find myself overanalyzing things.  I have to remind myself to take a step back sometimes.

I took a coworker to a show last year that knew a handful of U2 songs, but not a lot.  After the show she said "I now understand why you go to multiple shows."  Sometimes it helps to look at a U2 show through the eyes of someone that has never seen them before.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
I think last night in Harlem they showed the ability to have some swag. no screens, no bells and whistles just rock and roll.

Those of us who have seen them over the years may also take for granted how badass they are live - I have also taken newbies who were blown away.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
Long lost - have you seen the tassels on Edge's leather jacket - that went out of style, or maybe was never in style.

Since they haven't made a solid good album since Achtung, I think most swag has been lost, though Adam and Larry are still damn cool.

Hard to have swag when you are curtaining off the unsold seats in your latest tour because the new songs are a total bore.

did I mention that I LOVE U2, since 1983. Best live band ever.

Can you name a band that has never had to curtain off unsold seats?

Exactly.  Even The Rolling Stones don’t sell out every concert.  From what I’ve read, their recent show at Croke Park Dublin “only” sold about 60,000 / 80,000.

I saw Bruce Springsteen in Columbus a few years ago.  Had nosebleed seats, as I’m just a casual fan looking to not spend s bunch.  We were moved to a better spot, and our section was curtained off.  Same thing happened at Metallica in the same arenas. I was shocked, I assumed both of those bands sold out every show.  Still, both were great concerts, and both bands eventually returned to that same arena.

I’ve seen less popular bands like Muse, Arcade Fire and Kings of Leon, where they had the entire upper bowl of the arena curtained off.  It happens a lot, we’re just not used to it with U2.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 07:04:34 AM »
I’ve seen less popular bands like Muse, Arcade Fire and Kings of Leon, where they had the entire upper bowl of the arena curtained off.  It happens a lot, we’re just not used to it with U2.

I felt bad for Arcade Fire to an extent when I saw them last fall. They also played a local arena in 2014 and were still able to bring in close to 10k, so it was decently full in parts even if not all. But when they played a similar arena last fall, they were lucky to bring in half of that. The upper deck was closed off and the lower deck wasn't even full.

Offline U2Tim

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 05:30:57 AM »
Innocence and Experience show they haven’t lost their musical swag.