Author Topic: U2 Stadium tour southern hemisphere Feb 2019?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Groovy

• Wanderer
U2 Stadium tour southern hemisphere Feb 2019?
« on: June 08, 2018, 08:35:10 AM »
Now this might be a little bit of a stretch, but I'm willing to make the following prediction.

U2 will be touring South Africa with a stadium tour in February 2019. They will probably play Johannesburg and Cape Town. I assume they will probably visit Australia, New Zealand and other parts of Asia at the same time. Maybe even South America.

Some background.

I live in Cape Town South Africa. U2 has toured here twice. 1998 Popmart and in 2011 the 360 tour. Let me just state for background U2 is very popular in South Africa. Their last show in Johannesburg had an attendance of over 95 000 for the show - one of their biggest show's ever.

Now what do I base this assumption on? And it is an assumption...

I was listening to this interview today with Attie Van Wyk, the CEO of Big Concerts. They are the biggest tour promoters in South Africa. All major international tours are done by Big Concerts. Big Concerts promoted both U2's last two tours to South Africa.

The discussion on the link is with KFM a local/regional radio station here in Cape Town. The reason for the discussion was "Are big acts still coming to Cape Town?".

Katy Perry is playing in Johannesburg in July and Guns & Roses yesterday announced a show in Johannesburg later this year. The DJs got Van Wyk on to ask why are none of these acts coming to Cape Town.

Van Wyk mentioned U2 a couple of times -  not the interviewer.

1. He mentioned U2 is currently doing an arena tour and could do 4 shows in Joburg and 3 in Cape Town if the venues were available. (Currently Cape Town does not have the right venue for a big arena tour..that's why Perry skipped the city) Obviously they won't bring their arena tour to South Africa.

2. He said it's difficult to get acts like U2 to tour South Africa.

But then he also said they will be announcing by the end of July the biggest stadium touring act in the world coming to South Africa next year. I. think he mentioned February 2019.

Now is that not U2?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but maybe it's not...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 10:32:28 PM by singnomore »

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
Re: U2 Stadium tour southern hemisphere Feb 2019?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
Don’t think so. A stadium tour wouldn’t be planned without a set in stone idea of what they’want it to be. And Clayton just said 2 weeks ago they don’t have any plans.
They’re probably referring to the stones.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 03:30:50 AM »
U2 would be great, but it may be The Stones (is there a big Stones following in SA?)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 05:29:58 AM »
U2 would be great, but it may be The Stones (is there a big Stones following in SA?)

Dont know anymore but when I lived there they must have had once.  I remember in the early seventies and late sixties my friends parents playing Ruby Tuesday over and over again along with a lot of other Rolling Stone tracks.   

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »
Now this might be a little bit of a stretch, but I'm willing to make the following prediction.

U2 will be touring South Africa with a stadium tour in February 2019. They will probably play Johannesburg and Cape Town. I assume they will probably visit Australia, New Zealand and other parts of Asia at the same time. Maybe even South America.

Some background.

I live in Cape Town South Africa. U2 has toured here twice. 1998 Popmart and in 2011 the 360 tour. Let me just state for background U2 is very popular in South Africa. Their last show in Johannesburg had an attendance of over 95 000 for the show - one of their biggest show's ever.

Now what do I base this assumption on? And it is an assumption...

I was listening to this interview today with Attie Van Wyk, the CEO of Big Concerts. They are the biggest tour promoters in South Africa. All major international tours are done by Big Concerts. Big Concerts promoted both U2's last two tours to South Africa.

The discussion on the link is with KFM a local/regional radio station here in Cape Town. The reason for the discussion was "Are big acts still coming to Cape Town?".

Katy Perry is playing in Johannesburg in July and Guns & Roses yesterday announced a show in Johannesburg later this year. The DJs got Van Wyk on to ask why are none of these acts coming to Cape Town.

Van Wyk mentioned U2 a couple of times -  not the interviewer.

1. He mentioned U2 is currently doing an arena tour and could do 4 shows in Joburg and 3 in Cape Town if the venues were available. (Currently Cape Town does not have the right venue for a big arena tour..that's why Perry skipped the city) Obviously they won't bring their arena tour to South Africa.

2. He said it's difficult to get acts like U2 to tour South Africa.

But then he also said they will be announcing by the end of July the biggest stadium touring act in the world coming to South Africa next year. I. think he mentioned February 2019.

Now is that not U2?

Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but maybe it's not...

I think it might be the Rolling Stones although U2 is the top stadium act since they have the biggest stadium tour of all time with the 360 tour. The Rolling Stones only played South Africa on one tour back in February 1995. They did two shows at Johannesburg stadium back then. So February 2019 will mark 24 years since the first time they ever played in South Africa. That's nearly a quarter of a century.

Offline eleison

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:22:12 AM »
We can always PRAY!!!

I traveled to Texas last year to see the Joshua Tree show
in Dallas and Houston.

I saw them in Johannesburg on 21 March 1998 and in
Cape Town on 18 February 2011.

Hoping to see them again in South Africa.

By the way - I live in George, Southern Cape.

Offline Neilfinn

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 02:26:03 AM »
Unfortunately I had a friend ask Joe Oherlihy during the last leg about plans for next year and the reply was they are going to take a break with no plans to continue this tour.
Bummer !

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Ed Sheehan is playing 3 stadium shows in SA in March 2019.  2 in Johannesburg, 1 in Cape Town.  That’s clearly what was being referred to in the original post.  Don’t get the hype myself, but that dude is packing stadiums all around the world!

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 09:53:07 AM »
1st person too sell out Cardiff 4 nights in a row...!!!! He also did 4 nights in every major Stadium London
Manchester
Newcastle
Scotland

Absolutely crazy....!!!!!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 02:11:01 AM »

There's your ploblem there. Live Nation tries very hard to get U2 to spend the majority of their time touring in markets with Live Nation owned venues, where Live Nation are the major promoters.

Hence why U2 have toured the US constantly (4 legs in 3 years). While us in the southern hemispere get screwed with ZERO shows. Bring on 2020, & the end of the Live Nation contract!

As others have mentioned, Adam has recently stated that the band are planning a break after Europe, with no plans to continue touring any time soon.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »

Hence why U2 have toured the US constantly (4 legs in 3 years). While us in the southern hemispere get screwed with ZERO shows. Bring on 2020, & the end of the Live Nation contract!

That's if the rumours aren't true.  Otherwise, 10 more years.  Unless there is a clause in the contract that can allow them to play a specific number of non-Live Nation owned venues.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
I still say U2’s reluctance to go to Australia is Guy’s fault.  He is also Madonna’s manager, and her last tour in Australia flopped hard!  I think the fear is tthat U2 aren’t in demand enough to go to Australia, Japan, Singapore, etc, and charge what would be necessary.  They sold immensely well on the Vertigo Tour in Australia.  The 360 Tour was a bit of a disappointment, sales wise, in Australia, except in Perth.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that leg lost money. 

The JT Tour would’ve been perfect for Australia.  The production wasn’t nearly as extravagant as 360, and the demand would’ve been stronger for that than the IE Tour.  They should’ve gone to Australia instead of that unnecessary 2nd NA leg.  Wasted opportunity.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 06:44:32 PM »
I still say U2’s reluctance to go to Australia is Guy’s fault.  He is also Madonna’s manager, and her last tour in Australia flopped hard!  I think the fear is tthat U2 aren’t in demand enough to go to Australia, Japan, Singapore, etc, and charge what would be necessary.  They sold immensely well on the Vertigo Tour in Australia.  The 360 Tour was a bit of a disappointment, sales wise, in Australia, except in Perth.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that leg lost money. 

The JT Tour would’ve been perfect for Australia.  The production wasn’t nearly as extravagant as 360, and the demand would’ve been stronger for that than the IE Tour.  They should’ve gone to Australia instead of that unnecessary 2nd NA leg.  Wasted opportunity.
Er, the 360 Tour sold half a million tickets across Aus/NZ - only 32k fewer than on the Vertigo Tour. The real difference was they did three shows in Sydney for Vertigo and 'only' two for 360.

But I agree on the likelihood that TJT30 would have been a smash in Australia. And I suspect that was the last opportunity for U2 to tour Australia - can't see them bringing an arena show to this part of the world unfortunately. The last time they did that was the LoveTown tour.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 08:53:18 PM »
But I agree on the likelihood that TJT30 would have been a smash in Australia. And I suspect that was the last opportunity for U2 to tour Australia - can't see them bringing an arena show to this part of the world unfortunately. The last time they did that was the LoveTown tour.

But other top artist come here & play arenas. Pink's currently hanging from trapese, when she's not bedridden. So there must be some profit in it. Maybe just not enough for Live Nation, the greedy buggers.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2018, 03:34:45 AM »
Of course there is $$$$$$ too be made they aint been down that way since 360 they well know they could pack Stadiums i dont think Arenas would work due too the demand.