Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 925 times)

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
Two Questions
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:54:28 PM »
Hi There - I was hoping you all could provide some insight on the following:

In the Unforgettable Fire documentary, one of the producers (From memory, I think it was Daniel Lanois) holds something up and identifies it as, "Bono's master vocal for the Unforgettable Fire".  Does anybody know what it is?  It appears to be very small, about the size of a matchbook.

On the ZooTV Tour (Outside Broadcast), I only recently learned that the band conducted a public rehearsal in Hershey, PA.  Had the band ever done this before, or since?  It seems out of character for this (very secretive) band. 

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 01:16:38 PM »
That wasnt Lanois but he is in the doc.

They do public rehearsals all of the time. They did one in London on July 7 2017. If you check u2gigs.com under various dates you can deduct which ones are rehearsals. Hershey is near Lillitz, PA I believe which is where they build all of the stages as part of the TAIT group.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »
In the old days when you recorded on tape you had to send them to be mastered so they could be pressed into record or tapes or whatever.  So without seeing this documentary I’m sure you were looking at the physical tape copy of Bono’s vocal track.

Also in the recording process the tracks are separate, usually by the micing of the insturments so if Edge is on point and Bono not so much Bono can just do it again and not Edge.  They layer all these tracks in the production process before it’s mastered.

Also of note back in the day studio time was expensive and they needed to get in and out in a timely manner.  Now your iPhone is probally more high tech than an 80s studio.

It’s been 20 years since I did anything in a Studio for school so maybe other can chime in about it.

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 03:27:23 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I have some recording experience, too, but (from memory) it didn't look look like a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) or other tape format.  It looked almost like a memory card (which they would not have had in 1984).

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks, guys.  I have some recording experience, too, but (from memory) it didn't look look like a DAT (Digital Audio Tape) or other tape format.  It looked almost like a memory card (which they would not have had in 1984).
no they wouldn’t of had that, it was tapes.  They went on a big darn reel that would get stuck!  Lol

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
I have a whole tub full of of those big studio tapes!  2" analog.  The good old days...

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
I have a whole tub full of of those big studio tapes!  2" analog.  The good old days...
remember the rewinding! Kids these day have no idea how easy it is.  You had to deliver the physical tapes to send the music anywhere

Offline miracle_al

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 10:18:16 AM »
I'd love to talk to you more offline about this.  In recent years I transferred all of my analog reels to digital for archival/preservation purposes, and so that I could mess around with the songs on a Pro-Tools console if I ever wanted to.  The studio I used to record at back in the 90's has gone digital, but still has the old tape machine and analog equipment, so I was able to dump all 24 tracks independently into Pro-Tools.  Tape degradation is real (no pun intended), so I thought I'd better get ahead of it.

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 03:58:05 PM »

In the Unforgettable Fire documentary, one of the producers (From memory, I think it was Daniel Lanois) holds something up and identifies it as, "Bono's master vocal for the Unforgettable Fire".  Does anybody know what it is?  It appears to be very small, about the size of a matchbook.

On the ZooTV Tour (Outside Broadcast), I only recently learned that the band conducted a public rehearsal in Hershey, PA.  Had the band ever done this before, or since?  It seems out of character for this (very secretive) band.

The "Public Rehearsal" in Hershey PA was really a full scale concert. It was on Friday August 7, 1992. Tickets went on sale at 1:00 PM on Wednesday August 5, 1992 and were soldout by that evening. There was a rumor of a concert happening and people were told to listen to the radio on Wednesday. They announced at 12:57 PM tickets were going on sale at all ticket master outlets at 1:00 PM. So there was a mad rush for tickets. Tickets were only $15.00 dollars with a 3 dollar service charge added on for a total of $18 dollars.

The show was the ZOO TV setlist except that they opened with Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years Day, and Pride. You also had the full Outside Broadcast stage setup with all its features, TV's, cars, lighting etc. It was a great show, one of four ZOO TV shows that I saw that year and the best one too. I guess it gets labled a public rehearsal because of the sudden announcement, and low ticket price, but other than that, this was a full scale show.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2018, 04:51:02 PM »

I was at the Hershey gig as well.  Hershey is near where I grew up but at the time I was living in Rochester NY.  Information didn't travel as fast as these days so I didn't hear about the show right away but fortunately one of my hometown friends bought be tickets before they even told me about it.  I had already seen the indoor show in Albany NY, earlier that year.

If I remember correctly, it was on or near The Edge's birthday and we had a big sing-a-long.  They also played something twice but I don't recall what it was....Pride, maybe.  It says Hershey Stadium but it's more like a big HS football stadium.  The proceeds all went to the local Hershey Medical Center as well.   

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 06:28:51 PM »

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »

That is a helluva set list.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 06:48:11 AM »
That show was also the return of SBS and NYD, after the band had famously not performed anything from before TUF on the first legs of Zoo TV.  Funny enough, I saw the indoor and outdoor leg of the tour--my first concerts, period--and still thought that them going back to those warhorses was an unfortunate step backward.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:51:46 AM »
Ah, the summer of my start to superfandom - the summer before 10th grade, the year before I got on this thing called the internet. - I followed the daily blurbs that were posted in the pages of USAToday's Life section. As soon as I found out about Hershey, I had to get there...of course, I couldn't drive, and it was 3 1/2 hours away. So it became legend to me.

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 10:47:34 PM »

I was at the Hershey gig as well.  Hershey is near where I grew up but at the time I was living in Rochester NY.  Information didn't travel as fast as these days so I didn't hear about the show right away but fortunately one of my hometown friends bought be tickets before they even told me about it.  I had already seen the indoor show in Albany NY, earlier that year.

If I remember correctly, it was on or near The Edge's birthday and we had a big sing-a-long.  They also played something twice but I don't recall what it was....Pride, maybe.  It says Hershey Stadium but it's more like a big HS football stadium.  The proceeds all went to the local Hershey Medical Center as well.

Is this the same "rehearsal" show where Bono wore the red fly suit?