Author Topic: Best/Worst U2 Song Ever?  (Read 13109 times)

Offline JonD

• Wanderer
Re: Best/Worst U2 Song Ever?
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Best- streets, fly, one, mofo.... I know it's weak but it's too hard to choose ;-)
Worst: no contest sweetest thing...I'll probably take heat but I'm wearing sunscreen:-) it is he one song I would actually turn off...the video made it worse with boy band appearance !!???!

I'm not a fan of Sweetest Thing either but worst? probably not.

Maybe it's what sweetest thing represented to me.  I think it officially ended the 90's U2 who took risks.  Also I don't think it even represented the U2 of the 80's either.  It was a poppy song that sounded like it could have come a boy band.  There were several other deserving b sides to choose from (Spanish eyes for example) to celebrate the best of that decade.

Of course I know several people who like it- even my friend who doesn't really like U2- he plays it on his piano to get me going whenever I visit.;-)

Jon

The original was a fantastic, gritty little rock song. The single release was a travesty. An awful poppy, radio friendly tune.

I'll have to listen to the original again today.  It's been a long time since the single release spoiled it for me- but maybe that is like judging pride based on the tiesto mix:) 

Jon

Online THRILLHO

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2012, 09:13:32 AM »
Best- streets, fly, one, mofo.... I know it's weak but it's too hard to choose ;-)
Worst: no contest sweetest thing...I'll probably take heat but I'm wearing sunscreen:-) it is he one song I would actually turn off...the video made it worse with boy band appearance !!???!

I'm not a fan of Sweetest Thing either but worst? probably not.

Maybe it's what sweetest thing represented to me.  I think it officially ended the 90's U2 who took risks.  Also I don't think it even represented the U2 of the 80's either.  It was a poppy song that sounded like it could have come a boy band.  There were several other deserving b sides to choose from (Spanish eyes for example) to celebrate the best of that decade.

Of course I know several people who like it- even my friend who doesn't really like U2- he plays it on his piano to get me going whenever I visit.;-)

Jon

The original was a fantastic, gritty little rock song. The single release was a travesty. An awful poppy, radio friendly tune.

it was gritty?

satellitedog01

« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
The original was just scruffy, not gritty. It was unfinished and the vocals were not the best either.
The single re-recording has problems in that respect too, but the music is well executed for what it is, and I like that lilting guitar lick. The Talking Heads styled urgency of the original was lost, but it was an elegant solution. As always I will add that I hoped they would go in this breezy/elegant musical direction (Stateless, Flower Child, Summer Rain, Levitate) instead of the '80s lite mish-mash they eventually opted for.

Offline JonD

• Wanderer
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
The original was just scruffy, not gritty. It was unfinished and the vocals were not the best either.
The single re-recording has problems in that respect too, but the music is well executed for what it is, and I like that lilting guitar lick. The Talking Heads styled urgency of the original was lost, but it was an elegant solution. As always I will add that I hoped they would go in this breezy/elegant musical direction (Stateless, Flower Child, Summer Rain, Levitate) instead of the '80s lite mish-mash they eventually opted for.

I agree with the breezy, elegant direction of stateless, flower child, levitate, and summer rain, (love those songs).I find the chorus of sweetest thing grating and (dare I say?) desperate.  Also, I still cannot identify it as a good representation of 80's U2- I will Follow, SBS, NYD, Fire, October, Unforgettable Fire,Bad,  Pride, With Or Without You, Streets, Still haven't Found, Desire, AiWIY...... to Sweetest Thing????? I cannot put it in the list of these songs which brought U2 to biggest/Best band in the world by 1989.  Maybe it's because I grew up in the 80s but Sweetest Thing will never represent 80's U2.  To quote Bono it sounds like "wallpaper music" and, as a result, should never have been released as the quintessential b-side/single over viewing an entire decade.  Hence, it fails (for me) to be either a good song (see my previous boy band rant:-)) or a song to represent the decade.

But I did re- listen to the original last night and liked it as a quaint apology song to Bono's wife (which I believe it was written to be) but it will never be the a song to represent the 80's.  As a result, sweetest thing  (single) remains worst song released.  Of course there are probably more who disagree than agree with me :-)
Jon

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
I think sweetest thing is great, there's a beautiful guitar riff at 1:58 which is only on the single version which is like something off joshua tree.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • Just a good ol' boy
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2012, 06:33:58 PM »
Best song: One
Worst song: Paradise (lmao jk) Probably I Fall Down

satellitedog01

« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2012, 05:26:10 AM »

I agree with the breezy, elegant direction of stateless, flower child, levitate, and summer rain, (love those songs).I find the chorus of sweetest thing grating and (dare I say?) desperate.  Also, I still cannot identify it as a good representation of 80's U2- I will Follow, SBS, NYD, Fire, October, Unforgettable Fire,Bad,  Pride, With Or Without You, Streets, Still haven't Found, Desire, AiWIY...... to Sweetest Thing????? I cannot put it in the list of these songs which brought U2 to biggest/Best band in the world by 1989.  Maybe it's because I grew up in the 80s but Sweetest Thing will never represent 80's U2.  To quote Bono it sounds like "wallpaper music" and, as a result, should never have been released as the quintessential b-side/single over viewing an entire decade.  Hence, it fails (for me) to be either a good song (see my previous boy band rant:-)) or a song to represent the decade.

But I did re- listen to the original last night and liked it as a quaint apology song to Bono's wife (which I believe it was written to be) but it will never be the a song to represent the 80's.  As a result, sweetest thing  (single) remains worst song released.  Of course there are probably more who disagree than agree with me :-)
Jon

They had to release a catchy pop tune first and foremost, to gain attention and The Sweetest Thing was an ideal one. They didn't want to use it later on, it did come from the right period, but melded with the blue-eyed soul aspirations of Bono perfectly. It was a B-side because it wasn't fit to be included on any previous U2 album, it was just way too sweet.

It doesn't represent U2 in any form, yet it wasn't a leftover (although they did warm it up to suit the times), and that's what made it a good one-off single.

In contrast Electrical Storm turned me off instantly. It was a glaringly obvious leftover they struggled to make into a single.

Offline JonD

• Wanderer
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2012, 06:49:27 AM »
Sorry I messed up my response.  I actually quoted everything including my response:-)

Interesting take on Sweetest Thing.  Some of the reasons you like it are similar to the reasons I don't (ie too sweet, didn't fit with the 80s albums and was refit to suit the times)but your points are well made.  I am surprised about your view of Electrical Storm- I quite liked it and, for me, it felt like it fit with Stateless/Million Dollar Hotel era (with Ground Beneath, Levitate et al) and almost bridged to Atyclb.  It's funny how we had such different takes on the Best Of singles.

Jon
[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:35:24 AM by JonD »

zootv

« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2012, 09:28:22 AM »

Jon

They had to release a catchy pop tune first and foremost, to gain attention and The Sweetest Thing was an ideal one. They didn't want to use it later on, it did come from the right period, but melded with the blue-eyed soul aspirations of Bono perfectly. It was a B-side because it wasn't fit to be included on any previous U2 album, it was just way too sweet.

It doesn't represent U2 in any form, yet it wasn't a leftover (although they did warm it up to suit the times), and that's what made it a good one-off single.

In contrast Electrical Storm turned me off instantly. It was a glaringly obvious leftover they struggled to make into a single.

IMO, Electrical Storm is a far superior track to Sweetest Thing.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
I prefer the single mix of The Sweetest Thing to the original b-side. Yes it's more poppy, but to hate it purely because of that is a bit snobby. It's just a better executed version imo - the original is sloppy and unrefined.

On another tangent, I know that the song is apparently an apology but it never came across as that to me. I find the lyrics quite dark. I always thought it was about someone who's in an unhealthy (even abusive?) relationship but are in denial about their own lack of happiness:

"My love she throws me like a rubber ball, but she won't catch me or break my fall."
 "You can sew it up but you still see the tear."
"I wanted to run but she made me crawl. Eternal fire, she turned me to straw."
 "I know I've got black eyes but they burn, so brightly for her."

For that reason I think the clean, poppy sound suits the song well. It seems like a syrupy love song, but the character in the song is living in a pretense and is portraying themselves to be in a perfect relationship (the sweetest thing). Hardly an apology song. Also the video comes across as very sarcastic and lacking in honesty, very sugar coated. Ali should be horrified that Bono wrote these lyrics about her!

Good song. 

Offline mdmomof7

• Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #145 on: January 01, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
I prefer the single mix of The Sweetest Thing to the original b-side. Yes it's more poppy, but to hate it purely because of that is a bit snobby. It's just a better executed version imo - the original is sloppy and unrefined.

On another tangent, I know that the song is apparently an apology but it never came across as that to me. I find the lyrics quite dark. I always thought it was about someone who's in an unhealthy (even abusive?) relationship but are in denial about their own lack of happiness:

"My love she throws me like a rubber ball, but she won't catch me or break my fall."
 "You can sew it up but you still see the tear."
"I wanted to run but she made me crawl. Eternal fire, she turned me to straw."
 "I know I've got black eyes but they burn, so brightly for her."

For that reason I think the clean, poppy sound suits the song well. It seems like a syrupy love song, but the character in the song is living in a pretense and is portraying themselves to be in a perfect relationship (the sweetest thing). Hardly an apology song. Also the video comes across as very sarcastic and lacking in honesty, very sugar coated. Ali should be horrified that Bono wrote these lyrics about her!

Good song.

Agreed, and that incongruity gives the song more weight. I find it quite honest.

Offline JonD

• Wanderer
« Reply #146 on: January 01, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
A very interesting take on Sweetest Thing.  I usually associate dark U2 "loves songs" with those like AIWIY.  Although I doubt it will ever make many of my U2 playlists I might have to reconsider my utter disdain for the song:-). As an aside, although I have not made many posts, I have been a reader for years and have often found album/song debates among U2 fans to be well argued and fun to read.
Happy New Year everyone!
Jon

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #147 on: January 01, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
Sweetest Thing sounds oddly dark for the pop sound and for the supposed story behind it. It's like, Bono is overcorrecting in his apology by beating himself up over it ("Baby's got blue skies up ahead, but in this I'm a rain cloud... you know she wants a dry kind of love" and "You can sew it up, but you can still see the tear") or he's rudely making it out to be that it's Ali's fault for getting annoyed over it ("I wanted to run, but she made me crawl"). Not flattering lyrics either way. But I like the sound of the song, especially the "doo-doo's" at the end.

Online THRILLHO

• The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #148 on: January 01, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »
Oh I had no idea the lyric was eternal fire

Sweetest thing>>>>>>>electrical storm

Offline mdmomof7

• Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »