2 (3.8%)
Red Flag Day
8 (15.4%)
Lights of Home (St. Peter's)
4 (7.7%)
American Soul
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Which SOE song has been the best live?  (Read 1149 times)

Offline TheOriginal

• Babyface
**SPOILERS** Which SOE song has been the best live?
« on: June 15, 2018, 11:18:18 AM »
Feel free to include a ranking if you'd like.

I love The Blackout live - it sounds so much more powerful. Really digging the acoustic bongos version of YTBTAM as well. GOOYOW and AS also sound rock-ier and more powerful live.
My Ranking:

Blackout
AS
GOOYOW
YTBTAM
LIAWHL
LIBTAIIW
Red Flag Day

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: **SPOILERS** Which SOE song has been the best live?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
From the songs they performed at my show, my ranking would be:

Blackout
GOOYOW
LIBTAIIW
AS
YTBTAM
LIAWHL

Only heard RFD via a mixlr and thought it sounded great.

Offline grhawi

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:11:10 PM »
You left off lights of home

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 01:12:42 PM »
American Soul is pretty big live

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »
This list of songs represented the worst of the shows I saw and the time when the audience was the least into it. None of the above. How about a poll with ALL the songs they are playing?

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:52:33 PM »
Speak for yourself dude.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This list of songs represented the worst of the shows I saw and the time when the audience was the least into it. None of the above. How about a poll with ALL the songs they are playing?

I mean he only left out 3 songs but I think all of them sound good.

Offline b-mata

• Babyface
  • I'm already gone, felt that way all along.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 03:46:00 PM »
1. Lights of Home
2. Love is Bigger...
3. 13 (There is a Light)
4. American Soul
5. The Blackout
6. Get Out of Your Own Way
7. Love Is All...
8. You're The Best...

(Didn't get to hear 'Red Flag Day.'  I put the songs not in the poll in italics.)

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »
Great question.  They didn't play Red Flag Day at my show, so I'm only going to rank the songs they did...

1.  Get Out Of Your Own Way - There's something magical about the transition from Pride into this.  I was only at the 1st Montreal show, but the crowd in my section in the nosebleeds was very lame for most of the show.  In my section and 2 entire sections to my right, no one except me and one guy sitting next to me ever even stood up once.  However, Pride started to get a few people up, and that positive momentum only built once they went into this.  It just sounded great live.  I had the chills.

2.  American Soul - Not my favourite song on the album, but I must say this sounded great live.  And the crowd, buoyed by Pride and GOOYOW, really started getting into it.  I thought maybe that since it was A) new, and B) not being played in America, that the crowd wouldn't really connect with it, but I was happy to be wrong.

3.  Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way - Probably my favourite song on the album, and it was very good live, but with a better crowd could have been just magical.  The crowd for this one wasn't bad, but didn't connect with the "oh oh oh's" like they should have.  Still sounded great.

4.  The Blackout - The visuals and the sound combined to make this one pretty good.

5.  Love Is All We Have Left - Don't even know if this technically counts as being played since it was lip synched, but if it does, I'll put it here.  The sort of ethereal sound is a great way to start the show, and the cage being lifted up revealing Bono, then Bono being raised up into it at the end of the song is very cool and dramatic.  I didn't even realize the images on the screen were Bono's MRI until afterwards, and that the light going over him was basically him undergoing the procedure.  That only makes it more personal, and better.

6.  Lights Of Home - The lights were cool, and so was the sound.  Very good.

7.  13 (There Is A Light) - Sort of a low key ending to the show, but I liked it.  I like the symmetry of how the I and E tour started with Bono walking out from the crowd to the e stage, and it ends the other way around.

8.  You're The Best Thing About Me - I absolutely love this song, and it was ok live, but in general I don't like stripped down versions of songs.  It sounded good, but the studio version sounds great, and so it was therefore a little disappointing for me. 

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »
Awesome writeup.

I have exactly one week to make peace with either being forced to sit down or giving the finger to people telling me to sit down for the show.

Sit? Or finger?

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 05:15:14 PM »
Haha, well hopefully it won't have to be either.  Boston is usually a really good crowd, I think.

Luckily for me no one told me to sit down.  It's just sort of awkward being basically the only one on your feet in your area.

But, if you are forced into a decision, it's got to be the finger all the way.  Don't let the bastards grind you down, or a lame crowd bring down your enjoyment of the show. 

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »
Why on earth aren't they playing Red Flag Day at every show?  I'm glad I decided to spring for just one show this go around since it's essentially a static setlist; I'm hoping I didn't draw the dreaded All Because of You straw though...

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 06:42:27 PM »
Haha, well hopefully it won't have to be either.  Boston is usually a really good crowd, I think.

Luckily for me no one told me to sit down.  It's just sort of awkward being basically the only one on your feet in your area.

But, if you are forced into a decision, it's got to be the finger all the way.  Don't let the bastards grind you down, or a lame crowd bring down your enjoyment of the show.

HELL TO THE YEAH. I'm gonna read your post right before I go in. And I hope Boston continues our tradition.

I went to a ton of concerts in the 80s and 90s, and only one each in the 00s and 10s so I'm not clear if norms have changed. But I did notice that Boston stood and Charlotte sat - which baffled me. So I hope the Boston I remember is the same.

Note: Charlotte did NOT sit for Zoo TV. But they totally sat for Elton John and many others. Sigh.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
Why on earth aren't they playing Red Flag Day at every show?  I'm glad I decided to spring for just one show this go around since it's essentially a static setlist; I'm hoping I didn't draw the dreaded All Because of You straw though...

I am with you. My ranking goes:

1) RED FLAG DAY BAYYYYBEEEEEE!!!!!!!
2) Electric Co, yeah!!!
3) Gloria, nice.

4) All Because of You, sigh. But I will stay on my damn feet because OF COURSE.

Offline Ultravioletem

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
Blackout kicks so much ass live.