2 (3.8%)
Red Flag Day
8 (15.4%)
Lights of Home (St. Peter's)
4 (7.7%)
American Soul
7 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: **SPOILERS** Which SOE song has been the best live?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Re: **SPOILERS** Which SOE song has been the best live?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 08:02:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Speak for yourself dude.
- Of course, I only speak for myself.

I don't think fans who started liking U2 in 1980 are better than those who's first exposure was Get On your Boots. I don't think fans who love the new music are "wrong".

My take is that U2 are the greatest live band ever, and that they made amazing music up until and including Achtung Baby. If the other stuff inspires you - GREAT.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 08:18:55 AM »
IT DOES!!!!!!

Offline MrsZoo

• Babyface
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 04:37:48 PM »
Im very jealous you guys have seen the new tour. I have to wait until October but I seriously cannot wait to hear the new songs live. I wonder if theyll change the show a bit for Europe... I personally would be extremely happy if they played the whole of SOE live.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 07:01:23 PM »
Blackout & Love is Bigger. I stood a ton even though the crowd was geezery and wanted to sit.

Offline redapple129

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 10:58:54 PM »
Just came back from night 2 of DC. Love is Bigger certainly is a great moment in the show, American Soul is the great big live rocker follow-up to Vertigo they've been trying for on the last several albums, and RFD is a song I very much wish showed up at my show. But this arrangement of Best Thing, especially with the message to his wife and kids beforehand that's not just the same spiel recycled night after night, is just the sweetest thing in the world to me, I can't help putting it at the top of my personal list.

This list of songs represented the worst of the shows I saw and the time when the audience was the least into it. None of the above. How about a poll with ALL the songs they are playing?

You could read that this was a poll specifically about which song from the new album was best live, no? If you want a poll that's about which song is best overall, nothing's stopping you from going off and making it yourself.

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 06:32:10 AM »
I got chills both nights in DC when they played American Soul. The megaphone worked great, and playing it behind the flag made it BTBS-esque. Wasn't a huge fan of it on the record, but live it was a show-stopper for me.

Blackout is great live too.

The two Love songs don't translate well.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »
Haha, well hopefully it won't have to be either.  Boston is usually a really good crowd, I think.

Luckily for me no one told me to sit down.  It's just sort of awkward being basically the only one on your feet in your area.

But, if you are forced into a decision, it's got to be the finger all the way.  Don't let the bastards grind you down, or a lame crowd bring down your enjoyment of the show.

Love your attitude!

HELL TO THE YEAH. I'm gonna read your post right before I go in. And I hope Boston continues our tradition.

I went to a ton of concerts in the 80s and 90s, and only one each in the 00s and 10s so I'm not clear if norms have changed. But I did notice that Boston stood and Charlotte sat - which baffled me. So I hope the Boston I remember is the same.

Note: Charlotte did NOT sit for Zoo TV. But they totally sat for Elton John and many others. Sigh.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 09:43:08 PM »
I was surprised at how awesome American Soul was live. It is not my favorite (neither was Volcano), but it was awesome live. LIBTAIIW was also great live.

I liked The Blackout, but wished we could have seen the band for more of the song. It almost seemed like Invisible in that aspect.

YTBTAM fell flat. The acoustic version loses the pop hook, and then you are left with nothing. Done right it should be as exciting as Mysterious Ways, but it ended up more like a quiet version of Every Breaking Wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
American Soul. Great energy and I saw a whole bunch of people around me (in the stands no less) singing along with the "YOU! ARE! ROCK AND ROLL!" part.

LIBTAIIW and GOOYOW are the two big duds live. Nobody around me seemed to be into them at all and Bono tried and failed spectacularly to get people to sing along to GOOYOW.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
"American Soul" and "Blackout" really rocked the house!  "13" and "Love is Bigger" were great crooners.  GOOYOW sounded smooth and solid; YTBTAM was less successful.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
"American Soul" and "Blackout" really rocked the house!  "13" and "Love is Bigger" were great crooners.  GOOYOW sounded smooth and solid; YTBTAM was less successful.

Pretty much exactly that for me at Boston 2. I voted for AS but Blackout was well received and singled out by my daughter as being awesome despite her habit of moaning and groaning about U2. I was pleasantly surprised by how well received 13 was - people (plural) behind me were singing it LOUDLY (the whole thing, not just the SFS parts) and the crowd overall seemed to be into it, not bored at all contrary to earlier reports. I thought the light bulb was just beautiful, and it felt like a blessing for us to leave on, a la "Walk On" (stay safe tonight). GOOYOW also had people singing along, and no surprise that Love is Bigger got a good response.

Overall, despite too many people SITTING for parts of the show, the audience seemed more familiar with SOE than I had anticipated.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 01:14:09 PM »
Little Things

Offline scrittoresabino

• Refugee
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 11:32:52 PM »
Blackout & Love is Bigger. I stood a ton even though the crowd was geezery and wanted to sit.

Hahaha!  YES!!!

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 04:46:03 AM »
New York crowd was into it; even the SOE bits.  I voted Red Flag Day earlier based on YouTube clips but now having seen the show live I think its a toss up between The Blackout and American Soul - they sound so much fuller in person than through an iPhone recording!  Not eligible, but I really liked the slightly reworked Iris with The Ocean intro and wished they had kept Raised by Wolves in the set.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2018, 12:07:56 AM »
I have to go with "13" because a) Bono described it in DC as a lullaby, which put the song in a whole new light for me; and b) more importantly, watching Bono return to a model of his childhood home, open it up, and find a light caused mega-goosebumps in me. The goosebumps were multiplied by realizing at that point that the "baby cry[ing] on the doorstep in LIAWHL is the "child within you before it leaves" of "13" -- another epiphany for me. (In other words, the child imagery symbolizes innocence.) Until experiencing it live, "13" was only meh for me; now, I'm listening to it regularly, often repeating it multiple times in one sitting.

Of the other songs, "The Blackout" came across the best, but all of them came across well. I still think LOH has the potential to be another "Streets," but not in the mortality context early in the set the way it's placed now. You'd need to move it to near the end of the main set and have a buildup of emotional songs beforehand for it to reach that point.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:16:16 AM by Chip »