Author Topic: What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »
Do you have any favorites that were latecomers? Here are a few of mine:

Mofo
It's not that I hated it at first but it was a little hard on my ears. I think I didn't really get it. It used to be near the bottom of my list of faves on Pop and hitting skip was always a possibilty when I spun that CD. Now it is MY FAVE on the album. If I want to be in a fist-pumping, ass-kicking mood, here we go.

California
When I first heard it, it felt really weak to me. When I worked my way through the rest of SOI I came back to it to give it another chance, but not with high hopes. Once again, the problem was that I didn't understand it. It felt shallow. Once I heard that line that makes the song (I've seen for myself, there's no end to grief, and that's how I know and why I need to know that there is no, yeah there is no end to love) that song lit up for me like the sun. Suddenly it became a song of joy.

Any latecomers for you?

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
Re: What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 05:40:15 PM »
The ultimate latecomer for me is definitely Ultra Violet.  It's a good thing I try to avoid skipping songs, because I'd say the first 30 or so times I heard this song, I wasn't a fan.  It probably would have ranked #10 or so out of 12 on Achtung Baby at that time.  But one day I found something in there I liked.  Then I liked it a bit more.  Then a bit more.  Fast forward a few years, and it's now probably my favourite song of all time.  I listen to it now and can't really understand why the younger me wasn't a fan right away.

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 05:51:00 PM »
Oh wow, I'm glad you set your ears for Ultraviolet now, that's a very important song. Do you know what made the difference for you to "hear" it?

Another submissionfrom me:

Elevation
When I first got ATYCLB, Beautiful Day was a slam dunk, liked Stuck right off but not nearly as much as I would later, and then there was Elevation. It starts with the WOO-HOOs right off. In my opinion, those woo-hoos are not yet earned. So I basically never got through the yelling in my ear and just hit skip. When I finally, years later, gave it just a few more seconds, when the bass note hits at "higher than the sun" I sat bolt upright and sai "what the hell did I miss?"

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 09:29:54 PM »
Hmm, Elevation got me right away.  As did Stuck in a Moment.  Beautiful Day got me interested in the band in the first place, and along with Walk On I remember just loving the first 4 tracks so much right away.  The creepers for me on that album were Kite, and When I Look at the World.

As for what I started liking about Ultra Violet, (or is it Ultraviolet), it's tough to say.  I guess eventually I came to realize how layered and epic the chorus in particular is.  There's a lot going on in that song, and I guess it just took me a while to unpack it.

The same can be said for The Fly.  Love that song now, but not at first.  I remember just thinking it sounded like noise the first few times I heard it, but eventually picking up on the rhythm.

Come to think of it, I liked the whole Achtung Baby album right away, but didn't love it until a few years later.  I remember thinking for a while that I preferred Zooropa to it, but now I like Achtung much more.

Just a few other songs I now love that took some time to creep up on me...
Another Time, Another Place
I Fall Down
Mothers Of The Disappeared
Hawkmoon 269
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Last Night On Earth

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 05:44:42 AM »
If Beautiful Day was what got you hooked, you were probably listening to Achtung Baby as part of discovering the back catalog, rather than working on it as it came out. I can see that working on an album in its time is different for at least a couple of reasons.

Some peoplw liked The Fly quicker than others, but it was a shock to all of us. The leading single after Rattle and Hum, it was crazy.

Finding out Darth Vader was Luke's father was also a huge shock to audiences at the time, lol. The Fly, no less!

Elevation would have gotten me right away but I could never keep listening! I'd have my stereo cranked for BD and Stuck and I'd be like ow my ears enough with the yelling! Skip! Lol

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 05:48:04 AM »
Oh, have you heard the performance of Ultraviolet from Dublin 1993? It's a monster. Best performance. Alllllll the feels.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 07:24:11 PM »
Yeah, I wish I could have experienced the shock of that The Fly video.  Such a huge, dramatic shift from Rattle & Hum to Achtung Baby.  I'm glad they went away and dreamed it all up again.  Not that I don't like Rattle & Hum, but it's no Achtung Baby.

I watched the Dublin, Ultra Violet performance from 1993.  Pretty cool.  I like seeing MacPhisto performing it.  Don't know if I like it as much as the 1992 performance from the city they are currently rocking as I type this...  Both are great.

My first concert was the 360 tour, and I went out of my way to avoid all setlist spoilers, and let me tell you, I'm glad I did.  When they played it in the encore, I lost my sh**.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »
Invisible took me a while to get into, but now it's one of my top 20, if not top 10, U2 songs. It's a cold song, similar to Mercy and a lot of NLOTH, and while I love those songs, they also are actively keeping the listener at a distance, forcing the listener to focus to get to their hearts. Apart from the shorter show that the E+I tour has become since Tulsa, the one thing I'd change about it would be bringing Invisible back...and maybe EBTTRT.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
A Day Without Me took a while.  I didn't hate it at first or anything.  It basically took me a while to notice it.

Drowning Man took a long time, also just kind of skipped it until one day, last week in fact, that violin part at the end hit me like a ton of bricks and kept me coming back to the song.

The Refugee I used to absolutely hate, but a friend of mine who likes it thought it was funny to play it whenever the opportunity presented itself to annoy me.  And eventually hit hooked me, ONE DAY SHE'S GONNA LIVE IN AMEEEERRRICCAAAAA

The Unforgettable Fire sounded really dated to me at first, still kind of does but I like it anyway.

Took me a long while to get into Numb, Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay, The Wanderer, and even Stay.  I liked Stay on first listen, but I thought the verses were a little ponderous.  Numb and Lemon are hard to get into for obvious reasons.  The distorted bass in the Wanderer bothered me at first.  I wanted a straightforward country version and actually went looking for a Cash live version, but now I think the studio version fits the apocalyptic imagery beautifully.

Mofo was tough, especially the weird Edge vocal thing that repeats.  Miami I initially hated, but now it's. . .  fine. Discotheque also took a while.

Fez was hard to get into.  I didn't like it until it came on shuffle when I was driving at night.  I didn't recognize it as U2 at first and thought the intro was cool.

Every Breaking Wave I thought was too Coldplayish at first.  I don't necessarily disagree with past me, but I guess it just doesn't bother me now.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 09:22:11 PM »
Discotheque

I used to loathe that song.

Then I had an experience that made it all made sense and it was just played in the background where I was when I was having said experience.

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 11:12:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The Unforgettable Fire sounded really dated to me at first, still kind of does but I like it anyway.

Miami I initially hated, but now it's. . .  fine.

I totally agree with these two. TUF is a really well-arranged song and one of U2's underrated gems. Miami is one of those songs that seems bad until you understand how well it actually captures the spirit of the city of Miami and get around the unfortunate placement on Pop, and then it gets better. It's not the greatest U2 song, but not the worst.

Offline toolz2112

• Wanderer
  • they just.. sound different
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 05:17:28 AM »
Miami

When I was growing up, I absolutely hated this song. I just could not understand what the heck this song was even about. Then about 2 years ago, something just clicked and suddenly I 'got' it. Now it is one of my favourite songs. Great song to chuck on at the gym as well.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 06:48:26 PM »

Miami I initially hated, but now it's. . .  fine.

I totally agree with these two. TUF is a really well-arranged song and one of U2's underrated gems. Miami is one of those songs that seems bad until you understand how well it actually captures the spirit of the city of Miami and get around the unfortunate placement on Pop, and then it gets better. It's not the greatest U2 song, but not the worst.

I don't the city of Miami much either, part of why it was hard to get into the song perhaps.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
Miami. I spent years hating the song and always skipping it when listening to Pop, but somewhere along the way I changed my mind and started loving it in all its sleazy, lurid stupidity.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:10 PM »
I quite like "Ordinary Love" now, but didn't especially at first.