Author Topic: What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?  (Read 629 times)

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 12:52:24 PM »
Stay
I didn't really like the melody.  But then I saw the video again many years later and got into this whole relationship with a fallen angel thing.  It was quite a revelation for me.  It's one of their more underrated songs and I'd like to hear it played live again....(said with a vague sense of hope).

Online superdragtn

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
"New York" - It never really resonated with me when I first got the album.  I liked it better hearing it live on the Elevation Tour but it kind of faded to the background afterwards.  A couple of months ago, I put ATYCLB in my car CD player for a trip and the theme of the song completely clicked for me.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Discotheque

I used to loathe that song.

Then I had an experience that made it all made sense and it was just played in the background where I was when I was having said experience.

I relate to Discotheque on such a visceral level, I'll always love it.

I quite like "Ordinary Love" now, but didn't especially at first.

Same. I like it so much now, I don't know what I was thinking before.

I've always liked EBTTRT, but I had no idea I'd love it even more as time went on. I wouldn't have picked it as the one that I'd never get tired of on AB. Also, Wild Horses has become a favorite in recent years.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 08:57:21 PM »
A little background: I was a 14-year-old pop music fan when The Joshua Tree came out and completely spun my world around. But to my pop-trained ear, Bullet sounded too “hard”. I know. LOL. Anyway, needless to say I grew to love it.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 07:44:04 AM »
"City Of Blinding Lights". I was very boring at first.

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 08:27:57 AM »
A little background: I was a 14-year-old pop music fan when The Joshua Tree came out and completely spun my world around. But to my pop-trained ear, Bullet sounded too “hard”. I know. LOL. Anyway, needless to say I grew to love it.

Yeah, Bullet was (still is) my least favorite on the album in its album form. It wasn't just that it was hard, though it was, but also thin. Not a good combo.

And yet that same song is a masterpiece in pretty much every live iteration since. And I'm amazed that after so many amazing takes on it over the years, in 2017 they again managed to make it so fresh and biting. 2017 Bullet is now my favorite version. How amazing is that?

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 06:22:37 PM »
I had a similar feeling the first time I heard Bullet, but I really enjoy it now.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »
I think it 100% depends on how good the song is live. For example my mind was changed on Unkown caller, Ultraviolet, and Volcano because those songs were brilliant live.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 08:41:43 PM »
Vertigo.......thought it was okay on the album, until I saw U2 perform it live during the 360 Tour.  It was amazing!

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Today at 06:28:08 AM »
"City Of Blinding Lights". I was very boring at first.

Totally agree - was just thinking about this and came back to this thread to check if anyone mentioned it. When I came back from my U2 hiatus last year, I heard COBL was popular so I checked it out on YT. It did nothing for me. I read the YT comments and everybody was dying over the performance (a live one). I listened to it probably 10 times before it did anything but sound boring. But now it's a spiritual lift and I loved hearing it at Boston 2, many of us in the audience doing the same hand motion at the Oh You Look line.