Author Topic: What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
Re: What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 04:33:14 AM »
Raised By Wolves
For me, this song was a disappointment when I listened to Songs Of Innocence all the way through for the first time. I thought the song felt disjointed in places, disrputed the flow of the album and I couldn't get beyond some of the lyrics.

However, I am now in absolute awe of this track and is certainly one of my firm favourites from the album and U2's last decade of music as well. Live, this song is an absolute killer and just transforms the setlist into full on rock and roll mode! It also sounds quite experimental musically from what U2 have been doing from 2000 onwards and I absolutely love it for that reason as well.

New York
I used to skip, pretty much, the last few tracks on ATYCLB when listening to the album as I couldn't really get into "Peace On Earth", "New York" or "Grace" (I still think Peace On Earth and Grace are fairly snoozefest songs and I can't, quite, believe U2 ever put these out on record); however, I now really love New York and listen to it quite regularly.

Edge's minimalist riff builds throughout the verses before exploding into each chorus which is utterly brilliant and carries the song well. I also love how Bono harmonises with Edge's guitar on this song too and is one of his better performances from the album. Larry and Adam provide a cool rhythm section also and this song was played very well indeed in a live format. I wish they'd play more songs like this live nowadays to be honest.

Offline trainfanjacob8

• Babyface
  • Worst things in the world are justified by belief
Re: What songs do you love that were the hardest to get into?
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 08:20:11 PM »
"Cedars of Lebanon," "White As Snow," and "Acrobat" fall into this category.  Now I listen to them quite often!