Author Topic: Middle verse of Pride  (Read 250 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Numb
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
Middle verse of Pride
« on: June 18, 2018, 05:37:20 AM »
One man caught on a barbed wire fence
One man he resist
One man washed up on an empty beach
One man betrayed with a kiss

Who was caught on a barbed wire fence, or is that just an allogorical image?

Who was washed up on an empty beach and what does that mean? It's Jonah that comes to my mind, and that calls into question the character of this verse. Because if it could be Jonah, "one man he resist" changes from a man who resists oppression to a man who resists the will of God.

One man betrayed with a kiss could be either Jesus (was betrayed) or Judas (did betray). Easy to assume Jesus given the topic of the song, but if the man washed up is Jonah then this can be Judas.

So the very nature of this verse is unclear to me.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
Re: Middle verse of Pride
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 06:14:44 PM »
To me the song is about the things, good and bad, that people do for love.  Could be love of a country, love of humanity, love of a race, love of God, etc..

The chorus is sort of a lament about the bad things people will do in the name of love.  "In the name of love!  What more in the name of love?"  The singer is upset that the idea of perfect love, brought about by God, has been tarnished by man to lead to, in some cases, terrible things.

So, I always saw the middle verse as meaning as follows:

One man caught, on a barbed wire fence - (The singer is picturing a dead soldier in the middle of a no man's land in war that is stuck to one of those barbed wire fence things.  I always picture a soldier in WWI for this part.  In this case love of country has distorted people's minds into thinking that war is the answer.)

One man he resist - (MLK resisted this tarnished view of love, and spoke out against the Vietnam War.  In this sense, the singer feels as though MLK resisting against the comfort and complacency of saying nothing against the war is similar to Jesus resisting the urge to free himself from the cross.  So in this case, love for all people, regardless of skin colour or anything else, has led to this man fighting for what is right.)

One man washed, on an empty beach - (The singer is picturing another dead soldier, brought in by the tide and washed up on the beach.  I always picture a soldier at Normandy on D-day in WWII for this part.  In this case, it's love of country and love of your own race, (perhaps by Hitler), that has resulted in hate for those that don't fit into those slots, and has caused horrendous damage to the world.)

One man betrayed, with a kiss - (To me this is clearly Jesus, betrayed by Judas with a kiss.  In this case, love for all of humanity led Jesus to the decision to allow himself to be betrayed by Judas, stay on that cross, and die for all mankind.)

The flow of these lines is bad, good, bad, good.  To me, the singer is struggling with himself over the things people will do in the name of love.  He laments the bad things that people do in the name of love, but then is encouraged by the good that love can do.  Then, again, thinks about the bad things done in the name of love, then is encouraged again.  Finally, during the chorus, he again yells out, "what more in the name of love?", just wishing that people would only use love for good, and not evil.