Author Topic: Landlady - would it work live?  (Read 472 times)

Offline MrsZoo

• Wanderer
  • Midnight is where the day begins
Landlady - would it work live?
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »
This song had me in bits from the start and continues to get to me, especially from ďevery soul that left meĒ onwards. I feel it is so very personal and a truly breathtaking song. Would performing it live ruin it / dilute it? Best to leave it as an utterly perfect album track? ❤️

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Landlady - would it work live?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 06:19:37 PM »
I do like this song after the point you mentioned, when it seems to get very personal.  However, I think "Red Flag Day" is a better concert piece and would prefer to see that one pulled out more often.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 07:00:06 PM »
I like Landlady a lot. I especially like Bono's voice during the "and I'll never know, never know what starving poets meant (etc)" part.

It should do just fine live if they ever try it. It hits the same sonic mood as Iris so they wouldn't play both. But it's far from sure they'll play it on a future tour. They'll keep 2-3 SOE songs at most - LIBTAIIW, maybe The Blackout, maaaaaybe American Soul - and not likely anything they haven't already played off the album. Sorry.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 01:47:38 AM »
Iíve heard cover bands do it. Itís not a live song. Thereís a lot going on in the album that you donít realize and is hard to do live. I doubt it will get played this tour.

Offline MrsZoo

• Wanderer
  • Midnight is where the day begins
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 05:16:12 AM »
Thanks people. Hmmm, might have to make do with Bono reciting some of the Landlady lyrics on stage then, which Iíve seen him do in one or two You Tube clips.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:34 PM »
Best song on the album. A great piece of music. Why they donít play it is beyond me. Very disappointing. I was fired up for that live.

I had the same reaction to Yahweh. The best song on HTDAAB. They played it a few times but, sadly, reduced it to an acoustic version; and Bono removed some lyrics. That song really moved me and had a great cinematic finish...

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 01:14:31 AM »
"Landlady's" my second favorite song on SOE. The band did rehearse it, so anything's possible. Thematically, however, I don't see it fitting anywhere in e&i other than as a replacement for, or right after, YTBTAM. It's not a mortality or innocence song, so it doesn't fit in the first half, and it doesn't fit in the encore either. Even though I expect some set list changes for future tour legs, the show's basic thematic structure will stay the same, I'm wagering. That's how it's been with past tours, at any rate.