Author Topic: Is Little Things what Mercy became?  (Read 724 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
Is Little Things what Mercy became?
« on: June 25, 2018, 08:47:01 PM »
Remember the song “Mercy” that did not make it onto HTDAAB?  Does anyone else think it evolved to become “Little Things that Give You Away”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NJ, NYC 3,Belfast 1,2
Re: Is Little Things what Mercy became?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:02:54 PM »
They are in the same groupings of songs. Like One or WoWY. But no, not directly IMHO.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 02:20:57 AM »
Well, it's 10 times the song Mercy is regardless of its origin.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 04:18:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, it's 10 times the song Mercy is regardless of its origin.

That level of exaggeration causes me to vehemently disagree with you, even though I'm perfectly ok with people have differing opinions to me. Mercy is the better song IMO.

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »
I like Mercy better too.  I guess I just like the rawness of an unfinished song.  They’re both U2 by the numbers and share DNA with “Bad”.  The ending on Little Things is too cliche for me.  The laundry list ending has been done to death, from Dark Side of the Moon to Walk On.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 02:37:08 AM »
I like Mercy better too.  I guess I just like the rawness of an unfinished song.  They’re both U2 by the numbers and share DNA with “Bad”.  The ending on Little Things is too cliche for me.  The laundry list ending has been done to death, from Dark Side of the Moon to Walk On.

Yup

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 07:00:39 PM »
I don't particularly like Mercy.  It's pretty messy lyrically.  The riff is pretty good, but it's a pretty standard, forgettable song imo.  Little Things on the other hand is sublime. 

Offline Sevy2016

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 02:21:05 AM »

What does laundry list mean?

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 05:43:13 AM »

You know what?  I got mixed up.  Landlady ends with the laundry list, not LIttle Things.  Its when you repeat a phrase and make a list.  Every x, Every y, Every z....   look at the lyrics to Pink Floyd’s “Eclipse” and then the ending of “Walk On”.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 06:31:37 AM »

You know what?  I got mixed up.  Landlady ends with the laundry list, not LIttle Things.  Its when you repeat a phrase and make a list.  Every x, Every y, Every z....   look at the lyrics to Pink Floyd’s “Eclipse” and then the ending of “Walk On”.

Yeah, when I hear the end of Walk On I think of Eclipse.

When I hear the end of Landlady I think of Every Breath You Take.

Every poet is a thief and all that...

Offline Tortuga

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 08:19:25 AM »

Yeah, when I hear the end of Walk On I think of Eclipse.

When I hear the end of Landlady I think of Every Breath You Take.

Every poet is a thief and all that...

Yeah its a shame.  The more you listen to and enjoy music the harder it is to find something that really excites you cause you’ve heard it all before somewhere.  I remember thinking my parents were so lame because they didn’t ever “get” anything.  Then later I realized they “got it”....it was just about the hundredth time they had seen/heard it in one version or another.  Been there, heard that, seen that.  That joy of discovery you feel when you are young becomes harder and harder to find as experience mounts.

Online laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 09:55:01 AM »
Meh, I hear new stuff in plenty of places, including U2 for sure. But those bits were derivative, yeah. I've actually gotten used to Walk On enough that the end gives me a different feeling than Eclipse, but it took a while to get past the obvious surface similarity.

Haven't gotten there for the end of Landlady yet, but I'm sure I will, because the sentiment is about as different as you can get - from an entitled stalker to a man in a state of pure and enormous appreciation for his wife and for the world that brings them together. One is creepy as hell and the other is humble and sweet as hell.

Offline 64ac30

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 06:33:13 AM »
Mercy is better. From a musicians standpoint, yes it does appear to be what became of mercy- which will probably never see light of day (please don’t argue it will be on SOA because that album doesn’t exist until it’s released)

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
The one place I see, and hope that Mercy will be released is on a Best of 2000-20whatever in the future.  I can't see it being on Songs Of Ascent, if that ever happens.  For the record, I hope the full version of Invisible is on that too, but I guess I'm getting off track here.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »
Top 10 U2 song 'thout-a-doubt