Author Topic: **SPOILERS** This is the worst U2 show ever and this is why  (Read 1441 times)

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
Firstly, I don't know why some people are getting so heated on the threads re standing/ sitting etc- although I know this forum in particular is populated by sycophants who would gladly part with hard-earned to hear an extended remix of Bono, Larry , Adam & The Edge farting into an echo machine.  ;D Surely the beauty of a forum is you can express an opinion and encourage debate --that's all! The bottom line with this is it's a crappy show already seen on the last tour and there is very little that has been added visually at all to screens. With an unbelievably crappy setlist. Promoting an unbelievably crappy album. And that is it in a nutshell- release a bad album, nobody wants to pay to see it. Hence the curtained off sections. And with that setlist-- cue the sitting down etc. And a big sense of deja vu with the stage set up & visuals. And high ticket prices. And I don't buy the theory that because they did JT tour only recently that its too soon etc-- these are arena shows not stadia. Last tour did 8 shows at MSG, this tour only 3 and I doubt they will be sold out--that says it all.

Washington 1 was joyless, turgid & confusing. The bottom line is the album isn't anywhere near strong enough to have 8-9 songs in a 24 song playlist. I think Shelley Lawrence must be an evil hpynotist who infiltrated the U2 camp and convinced them that SoE is better than AB and therefore they should play as many songs from it in the set as they did from AB when touring that  ;). And then to leave out so many amazing songs from the back catalogue and i'm not just talking about JT-- quality control has gone haywire.

The start works--although the 'augmented reality' is a waste of data. The Blackout is decent enough although it's not a good song-- strong chorus and nothing else. 'Lights' is an album highlight apart from the execrable chant bit at the end which seems to have been written for a lighter-waving stadium singalong which ain't ever going to happen. And I will always walk over broken glass to hear anything from the Boy/ Ocober era. Where it falls apart is from Beautiful Day onwards. Actually, could do with another song between Gloria and BD. ( NYD or move UTEOTW) Thankfully, never got ABOY or RFD in Washington. ( why is ABOY even there--it sucked in 2005 and still does now- crap ten-a-penny chording). RFD has been a hit with the crowd because it's uptempo--a bit like Trip Through Your Wires on JT tour--never going to be the best song but a good upbeat feelgood song ( but RFD is not a good song IMHO!!). But the whole 1st set falls apart with The Ocean onwards-- so downbeat-- I had never heard it before live so was supposed to be a highlight but what a letdown. Plus Bono spoke the lyrics, never sang it. The rest of the first set is so leaden it could be a cure for insomnia. CW is a poor song but worked well in the SoI show, as did Iris which was a surprising highlight for me last tour. But shouldn't be in this setlist at all. ( at least they dropped Song for Someone early on- that would have sent me over The Edge) Cue a speech from Bono about 1974 then they play the worst version of SBS of all time ( SBS 1972 BTW)-- to fit the narrative as that seems to be the thing here. But to fit the narrative, Raised By Wolves should be back in or Please which would be better, especially given that Brexit poses a real threat to Irish stability short term and there has been no working govt. in NI for nearly 18 months. Funny there's been no comment from Bono about any of that! UTEOW seems out of place in this narrative.

The interlude really doesn't matter, does it? Although worked on SoI when he sang The Fly from the dressing room. Re 2nd half, I can see why they do the crowd pleasers- it's really Bono's forte--working the arena/ stadium and worked well on JT tour ( which was the most boring U2 setlist prior to this one IMO--apart from TJT of course!!) . And boy, do the crowd need lifted after the end of the 1st set.

But Desire should be way way better - should be blasting Trump from the main stage or walkway with visuals like they did at iHeart festival. Funny how their tune has changed.Don't want to upset their crowd maybe in some States.

I enjoyed Acrobat just because I had never heard it before but should have been on big stage with accompanying visuals. And was good- and Edge had to concentrate lol.( and there's a story in itself-- when was the last memorable guitar sound/ lick/riff--NLOTH!) But then comes the worst thing about U2 ( YTBTAM)--jeez! I was actually looking forward to hearing SATS after that--and it's not even in the top 6 on Pop. GOOYOW is a decent enough song but American Soul ( or Glastonbury or Volcano or actually GOYB because you can easily stick the riff in to that song somewhere without blinking) sucks eggs.

Anyway, I left after One-- couldn't stomach the end. Oh, and the sound was garbage to top it off.

Bottom line is album is terrible-- rewrites of songs, too many producers, left the best song off the album ( Book of your Heart), don't play the next best one in the set (Little Things- thankfully i heard it on JT Twickenham1). Listen to The Showman and Jessie's Girl back to back--if they are plundering Rick Springfield songs then the band really have lost their way. If Bono has had a near-death experience but is fit enough to do a world tour, then that should be joyful, not morose. Maybe this should have been a Bono solo album not a band effort(although have to say the bass on the album is v impressive)

Anyway, opinions are like a-holes and all that  ;)

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: **SPOILERS** This is the worst U2 show ever and this is why
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Firstly, I don't know why some people are getting so heated on the threads re standing/ sitting etc- although I know this forum in particular is populated by sycophants who would gladly part with hard-earned to hear an extended remix of Bono, Larry , Adam & The Edge farting into an echo machine.  ;D Surely the beauty of a forum is you can express an opinion and encourage debate --that's all! The bottom line with this is it's a crappy show already seen on the last tour and there is very little that has been added visually at all to screens. With an unbelievably crappy setlist. Promoting an unbelievably crappy album. And that is it in a nutshell- release a bad album, nobody wants to pay to see it. Hence the curtained off sections. And with that setlist-- cue the sitting down etc. And a big sense of deja vu with the stage set up & visuals. And high ticket prices. And I don't buy the theory that because they did JT tour only recently that its too soon etc-- these are arena shows not stadia. Last tour did 8 shows at MSG, this tour only 3 and I doubt they will be sold out--that says it all.

Washington 1 was joyless, turgid & confusing. The bottom line is the album isn't anywhere near strong enough to have 8-9 songs in a 24 song playlist. I think Shelley Lawrence must be an evil hpynotist who infiltrated the U2 camp and convinced them that SoE is better than AB and therefore they should play as many songs from it in the set as they did from AB when touring that  ;). And then to leave out so many amazing songs from the back catalogue and i'm not just talking about JT-- quality control has gone haywire.

The start works--although the 'augmented reality' is a waste of data. The Blackout is decent enough although it's not a good song-- strong chorus and nothing else. 'Lights' is an album highlight apart from the execrable chant bit at the end which seems to have been written for a lighter-waving stadium singalong which ain't ever going to happen. And I will always walk over broken glass to hear anything from the Boy/ Ocober era. Where it falls apart is from Beautiful Day onwards. Actually, could do with another song between Gloria and BD. ( NYD or move UTEOTW) Thankfully, never got ABOY or RFD in Washington. ( why is ABOY even there--it sucked in 2005 and still does now- crap ten-a-penny chording). RFD has been a hit with the crowd because it's uptempo--a bit like Trip Through Your Wires on JT tour--never going to be the best song but a good upbeat feelgood song ( but RFD is not a good song IMHO!!). But the whole 1st set falls apart with The Ocean onwards-- so downbeat-- I had never heard it before live so was supposed to be a highlight but what a letdown. Plus Bono spoke the lyrics, never sang it. The rest of the first set is so leaden it could be a cure for insomnia. CW is a poor song but worked well in the SoI show, as did Iris which was a surprising highlight for me last tour. But shouldn't be in this setlist at all. ( at least they dropped Song for Someone early on- that would have sent me over The Edge) Cue a speech from Bono about 1974 then they play the worst version of SBS of all time ( SBS 1972 BTW)-- to fit the narrative as that seems to be the thing here. But to fit the narrative, Raised By Wolves should be back in or Please which would be better, especially given that Brexit poses a real threat to Irish stability short term and there has been no working govt. in NI for nearly 18 months. Funny there's been no comment from Bono about any of that! UTEOW seems out of place in this narrative.

The interlude really doesn't matter, does it? Although worked on SoI when he sang The Fly from the dressing room. Re 2nd half, I can see why they do the crowd pleasers- it's really Bono's forte--working the arena/ stadium and worked well on JT tour ( which was the most boring U2 setlist prior to this one IMO--apart from TJT of course!!) . And boy, do the crowd need lifted after the end of the 1st set.

But Desire should be way way better - should be blasting Trump from the main stage or walkway with visuals like they did at iHeart festival. Funny how their tune has changed.Don't want to upset their crowd maybe in some States.

I enjoyed Acrobat just because I had never heard it before but should have been on big stage with accompanying visuals. And was good- and Edge had to concentrate lol.( and there's a story in itself-- when was the last memorable guitar sound/ lick/riff--NLOTH!) But then comes the worst thing about U2 ( YTBTAM)--jeez! I was actually looking forward to hearing SATS after that--and it's not even in the top 6 on Pop. GOOYOW is a decent enough song but American Soul ( or Glastonbury or Volcano or actually GOYB because you can easily stick the riff in to that song somewhere without blinking) sucks eggs.

Anyway, I left after One-- couldn't stomach the end. Oh, and the sound was garbage to top it off.

Bottom line is album is terrible-- rewrites of songs, too many producers, left the best song off the album ( Book of your Heart), don't play the next best one in the set (Little Things- thankfully i heard it on JT Twickenham1). Listen to The Showman and Jessie's Girl back to back--if they are plundering Rick Springfield songs then the band really have lost their way. If Bono has had a near-death experience but is fit enough to do a world tour, then that should be joyful, not morose. Maybe this should have been a Bono solo album not a band effort(although have to say the bass on the album is v impressive)

If your so upset with the band, the album and tour that is obviously based around that album why the hell did you go to the show? 1/3 to 1/2 of the show is going to be based around the album. You know that before you even buy your ticket if you have been a U2 fan and see them in concert before. They played the entire Joshua Tree album on the last tour just a year ago. Obviously at the very least, there are not going to be doing very many songs from that album. This tour still manages to play songs from 11 of U2's 14 albums! That's a good set list!

I tend not to attend shows that are going to make me write a review tearing the artist a new a-s-s-hole. Yet, you went ahead and purchased a ticket for this show anyways, already knowing roughly 75% of what the band was likely going to do in the show.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:13:02 AM by wons »

Offline gasface257

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 08:14:58 AM »

You can't win them all.  Last year's TJT tour wasn't my favorite show, though it had nothing to do with the band.  The band was on, but the sound echoed in my section.  The irony is that the first U2 I saw, the original TJT tour (different venue), I had the same problem.  I had avoided U2 stadium shows and decided after 30 years to give them another chance.  I wasn't too happy when they dropped ASOH, but in hindsight, I don't regret going and remember the few positives.

If AB 30th Anniversary is done in a stadium, I'll be there, but I'll make sure that I'm in a better section. 

Nobody bats 1.000.

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 08:35:49 AM »
Dude, you are so clever. Sure am glad you set me straight. Wouldn't want to be a mindless syncophant, so I'lll be sure to latch on to your opinion. Because any other opinion is invalid.

Offline hellonice

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:36:41 AM »
I've talked to about 25 people - mostly casual who've went to this tour and they've all been WOWed with the set and show. I went in SJ, going this weekend in Newark.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
But, what do you think of the latest album? That's the real question here

Offline wons

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
But, what do you think of the latest album? That's the real question here

Here is what he thinks about that:

Promoting an unbelievably crappy album.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 09:19:25 AM »
Someone's not great at picking up sarcasm.

Offline 73October

• Running to Stand Still
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »
Oh my....if we are all going to listen to "an extended remix of Bono, Larry , Adam & The Edge farting into an echo machine", if that's what it is, on this tour, can't we all at least argue over what they should be eating beforehand because obviously we want the special effects.....

I'll start with vindaloo as a suggestion.
 ;) :P

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »
100% AGREE. (except on the sound - I though Joe O'H did his job).

New album is terrible, and so on.

I suppose I am happy for those who love every single thing the band ever does, and I also appreciate those who like myself who have loved this band for many, many years and have no "loyalty" to a crap tour supporting a boring album.

One other thing - where is the uproar about the Edge's tassels - if that is not a sign of the apocalypse, then I don't know what is? 1980s Jon Bon Jovi wants his outfit back.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
I've talked to about 25 people - mostly casual who've went to this tour and they've all been WOWed with the set and show. I went in SJ, going this weekend in Newark.

It is true that people who are casual fans or who have never seen U2 might be wowed by the production and the power of a U2 show. However, those of us long time fans who have seen them before the Vegas spectacle and before the snoozy albums, know that the bar should be much higher. The mime images preceding Blackout are downright embarrassing.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 12:14:38 PM »
I respect that some don't dig this show.  The odd thing is, for me, I almost liked this show better than I+E....despite the repeat songs/production, and despite not caring as much for a lot of the new songs.  I thought it started better than the previous one, and ended better.  Plus, I liked MacPhisto, Acrobat, and SATS--those helped pick up the part of the show I felt didn't work as well on I+E.

If anything, I think I've let go the fact that I don't care about Beautiful Day and Elevation and Vertigo, and the new songs that don't impress me.  (Still liked Blackout, though.)  I've stopped worrying too much about the setlist specifics.  I like the songs I like, and will abide the ones I don't like as much.  And the part they copied from I+E was really the best part of that show.  There's not a lot of time left before these types of shows are history, so I just try and enjoy them for what they are.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »
Oh my....if we are all going to listen to "an extended remix of Bono, Larry , Adam & The Edge farting into an echo machine", if that's what it is, on this tour, can't we all at least argue over what they should be eating beforehand because obviously we want the special effects.....

I'll start with vindaloo as a suggestion.
 ;) :P
yeah Taco Bell for sure don’t you think

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »
NY last night was pretty amazing from a crowd standpoint...I already knew the set list so no surprises there and when I heard ABOY, instantly knew we wouldn't be getting Red Flag Day and that was a bummer. RFD is so 1983/War and not sure why it doesn't get played every night.

They are late 50's folks, so as Johnny Feathers mentioned, it won't last much longer and I doubt they will set up residency in Las Vegas!

Speaking of ABOY, it was pretty much a mess...Acrobat/McPhisto worked fairly well, but 95% of casual folks have zero clue about Acrobat. Not a fan of acoustic Best Thing.

SATS was near perfection as well as COBL...another huge plus was>no opening act.
I was 1/3 down the catwalk from the main stage with my Son and we had a tremendous time...love watching a millennial 'GET bit by the U2 bug!'

Online laoghaire

• Party Girl/Boy
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
100% AGREE. (except on the sound - I though Joe O'H did his job).

New album is terrible, and so on.

I suppose I am happy for those who love every single thing the band ever does, and I also appreciate those who like myself who have loved this band for many, many years and have no "loyalty" to a crap tour supporting a boring album.

One other thing - where is the uproar about the Edge's tassels - if that is not a sign of the apocalypse, then I don't know what is? 1980s Jon Bon Jovi wants his outfit back.

Yeah Joe did good, great sound. Bruno Mars in the same arena had crappy sound.

It's cool you don't like SOE but those of us who do aren't mindless blubbering fools. I actually don't like everything they do - HTDAAB was a total dud for me - but even if I did, that would not mean I'm some slavish syncophant. I mean, some of us like Pop and some don't; SOE is no different. If you hear something in Bomb, I envy you actually. I hear something in SOE and I'm not making that up; I hear it for real and I love that album.

I wasn't close enough to see Edge's tassles. Hmm. The best Edge ever was Pop Edge. And I don't even like moustaches.