Author Topic: **SPOILERS** This is the worst U2 show ever and this is why  (Read 1963 times)

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Re: **SPOILERS** This is the worst U2 show ever and this is why
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
Agree - we can all like what we want. I love Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire up Achtung, and somehow love the song Playboy Mansion.

I do wonder when someone loves EVERYTHING about an artist. I mean, can we at least agree that Godfather 3 sucked? haha

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I respect that some don't dig this show.  The odd thing is, for me, I almost liked this show better than I+E....despite the repeat songs/production, and despite not caring as much for a lot of the new songs.  I thought it started better than the previous one, and ended better.  Plus, I liked MacPhisto, Acrobat, and SATS--those helped pick up the part of the show I felt didn't work as well on I+E.

If anything, I think I've let go the fact that I don't care about Beautiful Day and Elevation and Vertigo, and the new songs that don't impress me.  (Still liked Blackout, though.)  I've stopped worrying too much about the setlist specifics.  I like the songs I like, and will abide the ones I don't like as much.  And the part they copied from I+E was really the best part of that show.  There's not a lot of time left before these types of shows are history, so I just try and enjoy them for what they are.
Well balanced, un-provocative, realist views not welcome here. Please opt for the knuckle  duster or rose tinted glasses going forward.

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 05:44:38 PM »
I don't think the album sucked, but I don't find it terribly memorable. I think the problem for U2 these days is that they have the freedom (i.e. time and money) to overthink their song-writing. I'd love them to give themselves 12 months to write, record and mix an album with one producer and one engineer. And record it in one studio. Give yourselves a budget of $100k to do the lot. I reckon the result would be great!

The tour? No idea - little old Australia has been ignored for the last three tours! But I'm hoping you'll forgive us Aussies for rolling our eyes when we see Americans bitching and moaning about U2 tours.

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »
Oh my....if we are all going to listen to "an extended remix of Bono, Larry , Adam & The Edge farting into an echo machine", if that's what it is, on this tour, can't we all at least argue over what they should be eating beforehand because obviously we want the special effects.....

I'll start with vindaloo as a suggestion.
 ;) :P

All Because of Vindaloo  :D  or All i Want Is Vindaloo  ;D

Offline kate27

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 05:29:11 PM »
Firstly, I don't know why some people are getting so heated on the threads re standing/ sitting etc- although I know this forum in particular is populated by sycophants who would gladly part with hard-earned to hear an extended remix of Bono, Larry , Adam & The Edge farting into an echo machine.  ;D Surely the beauty of a forum is you can express an opinion and encourage debate --that's all! The bottom line with this is it's a crappy show already seen on the last tour and there is very little that has been added visually at all to screens. With an unbelievably crappy setlist. Promoting an unbelievably crappy album. And that is it in a nutshell- release a bad album, nobody wants to pay to see it. Hence the curtained off sections. And with that setlist-- cue the sitting down etc. And a big sense of deja vu with the stage set up & visuals. And high ticket prices. And I don't buy the theory that because they did JT tour only recently that its too soon etc-- these are arena shows not stadia. Last tour did 8 shows at MSG, this tour only 3 and I doubt they will be sold out--that says it all.

Washington 1 was joyless, turgid & confusing. The bottom line is the album isn't anywhere near strong enough to have 8-9 songs in a 24 song playlist. I think Shelley Lawrence must be an evil hpynotist who infiltrated the U2 camp and convinced them that SoE is better than AB and therefore they should play as many songs from it in the set as they did from AB when touring that  ;). And then to leave out so many amazing songs from the back catalogue and i'm not just talking about JT-- quality control has gone haywire.

The start works--although the 'augmented reality' is a waste of data. The Blackout is decent enough although it's not a good song-- strong chorus and nothing else. 'Lights' is an album highlight apart from the execrable chant bit at the end which seems to have been written for a lighter-waving stadium singalong which ain't ever going to happen. And I will always walk over broken glass to hear anything from the Boy/ Ocober era. Where it falls apart is from Beautiful Day onwards. Actually, could do with another song between Gloria and BD. ( NYD or move UTEOTW) Thankfully, never got ABOY or RFD in Washington. ( why is ABOY even there--it sucked in 2005 and still does now- crap ten-a-penny chording). RFD has been a hit with the crowd because it's uptempo--a bit like Trip Through Your Wires on JT tour--never going to be the best song but a good upbeat feelgood song ( but RFD is not a good song IMHO!!). But the whole 1st set falls apart with The Ocean onwards-- so downbeat-- I had never heard it before live so was supposed to be a highlight but what a letdown. Plus Bono spoke the lyrics, never sang it. The rest of the first set is so leaden it could be a cure for insomnia. CW is a poor song but worked well in the SoI show, as did Iris which was a surprising highlight for me last tour. But shouldn't be in this setlist at all. ( at least they dropped Song for Someone early on- that would have sent me over The Edge) Cue a speech from Bono about 1974 then they play the worst version of SBS of all time ( SBS 1972 BTW)-- to fit the narrative as that seems to be the thing here. But to fit the narrative, Raised By Wolves should be back in or Please which would be better, especially given that Brexit poses a real threat to Irish stability short term and there has been no working govt. in NI for nearly 18 months. Funny there's been no comment from Bono about any of that! UTEOW seems out of place in this narrative.

The interlude really doesn't matter, does it? Although worked on SoI when he sang The Fly from the dressing room. Re 2nd half, I can see why they do the crowd pleasers- it's really Bono's forte--working the arena/ stadium and worked well on JT tour ( which was the most boring U2 setlist prior to this one IMO--apart from TJT of course!!) . And boy, do the crowd need lifted after the end of the 1st set.

But Desire should be way way better - should be blasting Trump from the main stage or walkway with visuals like they did at iHeart festival. Funny how their tune has changed.Don't want to upset their crowd maybe in some States.

I enjoyed Acrobat just because I had never heard it before but should have been on big stage with accompanying visuals. And was good- and Edge had to concentrate lol.( and there's a story in itself-- when was the last memorable guitar sound/ lick/riff--NLOTH!) But then comes the worst thing about U2 ( YTBTAM)--jeez! I was actually looking forward to hearing SATS after that--and it's not even in the top 6 on Pop. GOOYOW is a decent enough song but American Soul ( or Glastonbury or Volcano or actually GOYB because you can easily stick the riff in to that song somewhere without blinking) sucks eggs.

Anyway, I left after One-- couldn't stomach the end. Oh, and the sound was garbage to top it off.

Bottom line is album is terrible-- rewrites of songs, too many producers, left the best song off the album ( Book of your Heart), don't play the next best one in the set (Little Things- thankfully i heard it on JT Twickenham1). Listen to The Showman and Jessie's Girl back to back--if they are plundering Rick Springfield songs then the band really have lost their way. If Bono has had a near-death experience but is fit enough to do a world tour, then that should be joyful, not morose. Maybe this should have been a Bono solo album not a band effort(although have to say the bass on the album is v impressive)

Anyway, opinions are like a-holes and all that  ;)

I think this post is kind of a hoot. Maybe a little mean spirited, but as a long time U2 fan who doesn't absolutely love EVERYTHING they've ever done, I can relate. I always sat down in protest when they played Angel of Harlem. (I still think it's the worst song they've ever done.)  I won't be seeing them on the SOE tour, so I can't comment on much of the post, but I did kind of chuckle. But--Showman and Rick Springfield?! LOL--Springfield was the first concert I ever went to. Not sure I hear the connection between Showman and Jesse's Girl. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:32:58 PM by kate27 »

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »
I don't think the album sucked, but I don't find it terribly memorable. I think the problem for U2 these days is that they have the freedom (i.e. time and money) to overthink their song-writing. I'd love them to give themselves 12 months to write, record and mix an album with one producer and one engineer. And record it in one studio. Give yourselves a budget of $100k to do the lot. I reckon the result would be great!

The tour? No idea - little old Australia has been ignored for the last three tours! But I'm hoping you'll forgive us Aussies for rolling our eyes when we see Americans bitching and moaning about U2 tours.
Thank you for your post and as an American, I do not give that plight enough thought. I am sincerely sorry that you get quite fewer opportunities to see U2 and for me to b**** how a song sounded, at least I saw them so stop whining and I 100% agree! And again, sorry for your geographic challenges and not that it matters, Australia is my dream destination! Actually to be fair, I still need to get to Ireland, so there's that...

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 05:51:18 PM »

Thank you for your post and as an American, I do not give that plight enough thought. I am sincerely sorry that you get quite fewer opportunities to see U2 and for me to b**** how a song sounded, at least I saw them so stop whining and I 100% agree! And again, sorry for your geographic challenges and not that it matters, Australia is my dream destination! Actually to be fair, I still need to get to Ireland, so there's that...
Shoot, forgot the main point, I SO AGREE on the overthink/produce. I would pay anything to hear more of the 'raw' versions of the songs. Perhaps they give in as well to the idea that full traditionally made and released LP's are becoming a thing of the past...How about, 1st of the month (whenever they are ready to dream it all up again) go in the studio and by the end of the month release a single. Controlled by time and perhaps budget. But before next Christmas, they would have an LP of 12 songs and multiple remixes already made over the course of the year to release if they wanted to. The singles could be more timely as well as they are made and or tweaked, but only for a 30 day period.

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 02:14:02 AM »
I love the E&I tour -- it's not my favorite U2 tour, but it's a great one nonetheless. Why? Because U2 is at its best in centering shows around themes and choosing their songs and the progression of songs to relate that theme. No one, but no one, centers tours around themes and chooses their set lists to revolve around them to the same degree as U2.

To wit:

*We open with a mortality trilogy -- The first three songs relate to Bono's near-death experience and his outlook on life afterward. Yes, the second verse of "The Blackout" gets us into world-event territory, which will come later in the concert. But placed where it is in this tour, between LIAWHL and LOH, Bono's original writing of it about his near-death experience (which he has mentioned in interviews and is still evident in the first verse) comes through strongly.

*The innocence set starts in "I Will Follow" and continues through the next five songs -- Here we touch upon youth, relationships with family, friends, and God, and the blooming heart that results.

*Loss of innocence hits home with SBS and UTEOTW -- Yeah, you can argue that this section begins with "Cedarwood Road" or even "Iris," but on balance I think it's better to keep those two in the previous section. Bono in his spoken monologues presents those songs, particularly CR, as ones of innocence. The tonal shift really comes with SBS.

*Experience comes with the "Heroes' Journey"/HMTMKMKM video, ending with an ominous look at our heroes as they walk into Vegas. This is followed by the hellfire smoke that visually opens "Elevation," cluing the attentive observer into the fact that things are not right here. (Ironically, in prior tours, "Elevation" has been treated as a God song, but here it's performed by a band that has fallen for success in the worst way.) By the time we're at "Desire," Bono is openly bragging about himself and the band. Finally, MacPhisto gets revealed with "Acrobat," although he's been with us since "Elevation."

*Journey back to a wiser, if chastened, innocence -- This begins with Bono's call to Ali between "Acrobat" and YTBTAM. This is a moment of coming to your senses and repentance. It leads to a joyful realization of what is among the better things in life in YTBTAM. (Notice that the concert version does not repeat the "Why am I walking away" doubt/introspection as often, most noticeably not at the every end of the song.) Now revived, the spiritually awake protagonist becomes aware of the world around him and his need to be involved. This section begins with the shaking off of the blindness of SATS, runs through the rest of the experience set, and continues into the encore. After a focus on America, COBL, a song about regaining innocence, is partially recast as a song supporting womens' empowerment as leaders, and this theme continues in the "women of the world" video that opens the encore. "One" brings it all home with our need for each other, as does LIBTAIIW, which also presents confidence in the power of love (and Love). Finally, we return home in "13" (we've wanted to get there since LOH, after all), where we find that there is still a light inside the model of Bono's childhood home -- the light of innocence, the light of God -- and so innocence is there for the offering. It's not the same innocence (after all, we've been through experience) but it is there for us, and it is our choice what to do with it. But what will we do with it? Are we "tough enough to be kind" to others? Will we hold onto it even when darkness threatens to overwhelm us? The band leaves these questions hanging with us. We can regain a sadder, hard-won/hard-granted (and graced) innocence, but it is our choice.

This is not a new topic for the band. Regaining innocence was the primary overarching theme of HTDAAB (and, it could be very plausibly argued, Bono's chief thematic concern since that album), and this show's thematic structure is very similar to both I&E (for obvious reasons) and 360, where spiritual renewal was the theme. (On the 360 tour, TUF and COBL provided the moment of realization/turning back, which then led to a return home in "Vertigo" and finding that things were not right with the world. That in turn led to an awareness of world issues after the brief denial of IKIGCIIDGCT, which functioned as the 360 equivalent of this tour's SATS.) The difference this time is that Bono announces the theme of seeking to regain innocence to the audience in his chatter between songs and guides them a little through the show's symbolism at different points; I can't remember the band ever explicitly spelling things out for the audience like they do this tour.

Not all works well with the tour, as you might expect. The loss of innocence section is too truncated and less understandable with the cutting of RBW, which came between SBS and UTEOTW in I&E. The pride, vanity, and other evils seen in "Elevation" through "Desire" seem to get lost on an audience; when Bono pridefully brags about the band, most people don't seem to get that he's putting on an act to expose darkness. But I love U2 for choosing not to just play great songs at a concert but carefully structuring its set lists to make an overarching theme work in a progression from the start of the concert to its finish. And hats off to them for being so bullish about the new songs and not (yet) replacing them with more popular ones, as they've often tended to do in the past.   
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:04:23 PM by Chip »

Offline Luzita

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »
I love the E&I tour -- it's not my favorite U2 tour, but it's a great one nonetheless. Why? Because U2 is at its best in centering shows around themes and choosing their songs and the progression of songs to relate that theme. No one, but no one, centers tours around themes and chooses their set lists to revolve around them to the same degree as U2.

To wit:

*We open with a mortality trilogy -- The first three songs relate to Bono's near-death experience and his outlook on life afterward. Yes, the second verse of "The Blackout" gets us into world-event territory, which will come later in the concert. But placed where it is in this tour, between LIAWHL and LOH, Bono's original writing of it about his near-death experience (which he has mentioned in interviews and is still evident in the first verse) comes through strongly.

*The innocence set starts in "I Will Follow" and continues through the next five songs -- Here we touch upon youth, relationships with family, friends, and God, and the blooming heart that results.

*Loss of innocence hits home with SBS and UTEOTW -- Yeah, you can argue that this section begins with "Cedarwood Road" or even "Iris," but on balance I think it's better to keep those two in the previous section. Bono in his spoken monologues presents those songs, particularly CR, as ones of innocence. The tonal shift really comes with SBS.

*Experience comes with the "Heroes' Journey"/HMTMKMKM video, ending with an ominous look at our heroes as they walk into Vegas. This is followed by the hellfire smoke that visually opens "Elevation," cluing the attentive observer into the fact that things are not right here. (Ironically, in prior tours, "Elevation" has been treated as a God song, but here it's performed by a band that has fallen for success in the worst way.) By the time we're at "Desire," Bono is openly bragging about himself and the band. Finally, MacPhisto gets revealed with "Acrobat," although he's been with us since "Elevation."

*Journey back to a wiser, if chastened, innocence -- This begins with Bono's call to Ali between "Acrobat" and YTBTAM. This is a moment of coming to your senses and repentance. It leads to a joyful realization of what is among the better things in life in YTBTAM. (Notice that the concert version does not repeat the "Why am I walking away" doubt/introspection as often, most noticeably not at the every end of the song.) Now revived, the spiritually awake protagonist becomes aware of the world around him and his need to be involved. This section begins with the shaking off of the blindness of SATS, runs through the rest of the experience set, and continues into the encore. After a focus on America, COBL, a song about regaining innocence, is partially recast as a song supporting womens' empowerment as leaders, and this theme continues in the "women of the world" video that opens the encore. "One" brings it all home with our need for each other, as does LIBTAIIW, which also presents confidence in the power of love (and Love). Finally, we return home in "13" (we've wanted to get there since LOH, after all), where we find that there is still a light inside the model of Bono's childhood home -- the light of innocence, the light of God -- and so innocence is there for the offering. It's not the same innocence (after all, we've been through experience) but it is there for us, and it is our choice what to do with it. But what will we do with it? Are we "tough enough to be kind" to others? Will we hold onto it even when darkness threatens to overwhelm us? The band leaves these questions hanging with us. We can regain a sadder, hard-won/hard-granted (and graced) innocence, but it is our choice.

This is not a new topic for the band. Regaining innocence was the theme of HTDAAB, and this show's thematic structure is very similar to both I&E (for obvious reasons) and 360, where spiritual renewal was the theme. (On the 360 tour, TUF and COBL provided the moment of realization/turning back, which then led to a return home in "Vertigo" and finding that things were not right with the world. That in turn led to an awareness of world issues after the brief denial of IKIGCIIDGCT, which functioned as the 360 equivalent of this tour's SATS.) The difference this time is that Bono announces the theme of seeking to regain innocence to the audience in his chatter between songs and guides them a little through the show's symbolism at different points; I can't remember the band ever explicitly spelling things out for the audience like they do this tour.

Not all works well with the tour, as you might expect. The loss of innocence section is too truncated and less understandable with the cutting of RBW, which came between SBS and UTEOTW in I&E. The pride, vanity, and other evils seen in "Elevation" through "Desire" seem to get lost on an audience; when Bono pridefully brags about the band, most people don't seem to get that he's putting on an act to expose darkness. But I love U2 for choosing not to just play great songs at a concert but carefully structuring its set lists to make an overarching theme work in a progression from the start of the concert to its finish. And hats off to them for being so bullish about the new songs and not (yet) replacing them with more popular ones, as they've often tended to do in the past.
Great summary! Helps me understand the concert better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
The worst U2 concert I’ve ever seen… and one of the best

My 29th U2 concert, San Jose 1 was one of the few times I have left a U2 show feeling disappointed and uninspired. We had 20th row Price 1 tickets facing the E stage, yet I didn’t feel connected to the band. I had been very careful to avoid spoilers, so the set list and graphics were entirely new to me. A few points:

•   I was confused by the opening (was Bono lip-synching?)
•   The sound was deafening and distorted – far too loud, not just my old ears, my 34 year old kid had the same problem. We couldn’t make out anything that Bono was saying when speaking (rendering the whole Macphisto bit, which ran quite long, extremely confusing).
•   They recycled a whole swath of Innocence, which surprised me – I had expected to see everything new. However, I was delighted to hear Cedarwood Road, one of my top five U2 songs.
•   The set list just didn’t make sense to me… it didn’t seem to have the narrative arc of previous concerts. It felt odd to hear Beautiful Day so early in the show. Starting and ending with songs from the new album was confusing. (After the show I realized they hadn’t played Streets – WTF!)
•   The quiet ending seemed like a downer and left us feeling vaguely depressed.
•   There were high points -- Acrobat and Staring at the Sun, both very special moments.[/li][/list]

It was really disheartening to know that the $800 pair of tickets I had purchased on the fan pre-sale back in  November were far more expensive than if I had just waited until the week of the show – they had tickets at $106 in my section for sale a couple of days before. Oh well, at least the scalpers got screwed.

I have to wonder how the band felt about not being able to sell out arenas after the previous summer’s successful stadium tour. Were they discouraged too?

BUT … At Chicago 1, I had a completely different experience. We were in GA – came floating in around 7 pm and got a spot just 2 people back from the rail by the E stage. It was a great spot because we were not only extremely close when the band came to our end, we could still clearly see the screen/graphics. The excitement is palpable when you’re on the floor with people who really love the band and express their enthusiasm.

Knowing what to expect, this time the concert made sense. The scanner opening, the Blackout (turns out Bono fell backwards down a flight of stairs and recovered, not missing a beat), the Lights of Home – all set the audience on fire. When the band came to the E stage we were losing our minds. It was overwhelming and thrilling – my 30th show and just as exciting as my first. Acrobat roared through like a freight train – Staring at the Sun brought tears.

We moved up toward the main stage at the end of Pride and watched from about halfway up. Love is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way was fantastic – surely a classic to come. The quiet 13 ending was sweet and very personal – a last insight into Bono and the band’s world.

So here’s my bottom line. Same tour, practically the same set list. San Jose might have been a little rougher because it was early in the tour and they were still getting the polish on some of the songs. Chicago had a sense of coming together and the sound was much better.

Bottom line for me… my review isn’t about the concert or the tour. It’s about the audience -- the people I'm with -- and my personal experience. From here on out it’s GA or no way. Did I mention that I’m 62? Better stay in shape.

Offline laoghaire

• Running to Stand Still
  • IT MEEEEEEEANS SOMETHING!!!!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 06:25:25 AM »
I hear ya. Only 41 but disabled and almost certainly going to have to go alone but next time I'm joining the fray trying to get GA.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 10:49:34 AM »
Just spent $850 for 2 red zone for Mohegan Sun, although expensive, it's the best route to go if you can afford it.
I realized that after attending MSG 1 a week ago.

Offline Allhorizonbomb

• Wanderer
  • Self proclaimed biggest U2 fan in New York State
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »
I've talked to about 25 people - mostly casual who've went to this tour and they've all been WOWed with the set and show. I went in SJ, going this weekend in Newark.

It is true that people who are casual fans or who have never seen U2 might be wowed by the production and the power of a U2 show. However, those of us long time fans who have seen them before the Vegas spectacle and before the snoozy albums, know that the bar should be much higher. The mime images preceding Blackout are downright embarrassing.

I liked those images personally.

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 07:05:34 AM »
100% AGREE. (except on the sound - I though Joe O'H did his job).

New album is terrible, and so on.

I suppose I am happy for those who love every single thing the band ever does, and I also appreciate those who like myself who have loved this band for many, many years and have no "loyalty" to a crap tour supporting a boring album.

One other thing - where is the uproar about the Edge's tassels - if that is not a sign of the apocalypse, then I don't know what is? 1980s Jon Bon Jovi wants his outfit back.

Amen to that! Musical taste is completely subjective and it's absolutely ok to have a different opinion to others on this or any other forum. Nobody needs to bash anyone over the head because of a difference in opinion. And believe me, I have passionately defended this band to many of my friends ( and still do) over the years. And that's why i find this tour so disappointing. It's almost inconceivable that I won't be going to a European show this summer-- almost heartbreaking as a diehard fan- for that's surely what we all are otherwise we wouldn't be wasting our time on fans forums. Reckon it will be the next Aussie tour before I will see them again--coming to get you, BobaFett! Although it's looking less likely that this will be happening in the near future, sadly--bang goes my vacation plans for next year :-)Hopefully the setlist will have evolved by then. I think this has been the worst 1st leg of a U2 tour in living memory and it's hardly surprising this has been reflected in ticket sales.

Universally at Washington 1, the feedback was 'too serious' and 'boring' --from fans from all eras--80's, 90's and noughties. The narrative sucks, and is an exercise in Bono's megalomania when there is so so much more to be saying about the world today from a band that has sought to carve a reputation for that kind of thing ( although it's only ever been about the music for me). Although TBH, if the songs were of a much higher standard, it wouldn't matter. The atmosphere in the Irish pub after the gig was 1000x better than at the gig itself--and of course the 1st 3 songs they played were AOH, Streets, & Pride.

wons-- I can assure you that I have been to more gigs in my life than you have had angry posts on this forum! And I politely suggest you temper the overly-aggressive tone of your posts before somebody on here tears you a new a-hole :-) And I go to gigs to see the band and listen to the music--not with a view to posting reviews-- comments like that make you look as bright as 3 in the morning (although if you are Icelandic, that's going to make you super-bright at this time of year!)  Re the setlist having 14 songs over 11 albums-- that does not make a great set list --it depends on what songs are played and how they play them. But your comments did make me do a bit of research on the excellent U2tours page on this site.

I thought and still do that SoI is the 2nd worst U2 album--but that tour had some of the best shows I've ever seen them play. Glasgow2 is in my top 3 of all time. I was fortunate enough to see them 6 x on last tour. Every setlist was different. Vancouver 1 & 2 differed by 6 songs. The 2 in MSG by 5 songs. Glasgow 1&2 by 4 songs. Plus the first 'sung' Fly at the intermission. So keeping it fresh- especially for the die-hard fan that goes to more than one gig per tour and bases vacations around them. Plus the advent of a truly ground-breaking stage setup. And the best indoor sound I had ever heard at MSG2  ( maybe just the location in arena in Washington made for bad sound but was really muffled). This tour has had none of that-- just a carbon copy of I&E with inferior setlist substitutions. And that is why there are poor ticket sales, and lack of atmosphere at gigs. This tour is not, Mr Edge, for the die hard fan- sadly!

Although u2tours will say they have played 32 songs on this leg--a bit misleading as have settled on a 24 song setlist with one rotation. 5 have been played once, and the augmented reality one doesn't count. On I&E they ended up playing 53 songs in the course of the tour, 360 tour 62 songs, Vertigo(HTDAAB)  57 , Elevation (ATYCLB) 49 etc. Sadly, I don't think this tour will go on for long enough to see a real evolution in setlists.

Hopefully the European leg will see a much needed shake up of the setlist and the atmosphere will be a lot better , given that most of the dates are sold out, and Euro crowds are generally more 'up for it' than the popcorn-chewing, soda-drinking, earplug-wearing, carpark-fretting US crowds-- a gentle dig but hey, that's my personal experience of a sizeable proportion of the audiences at larger US gigs. GA definitely place to be in US venues.

But it is great that U2 can still please some of their audience with new material, despite the bar being set a lot lower in terms of quality.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 07:22:13 AM »
100% AGREE. (except on the sound - I though Joe O'H did his job).

New album is terrible, and so on.

I suppose I am happy for those who love every single thing the band ever does, and I also appreciate those who like myself who have loved this band for many, many years and have no "loyalty" to a crap tour supporting a boring album.

One other thing - where is the uproar about the Edge's tassels - if that is not a sign of the apocalypse, then I don't know what is? 1980s Jon Bon Jovi wants his outfit back.

Amen to that! Musical taste is completely subjective and it's absolutely ok to have a different opinion to others on this or any other forum. Nobody needs to bash anyone over the head because of a difference in opinion. And believe me, I have passionately defended this band to many of my friends ( and still do) over the years. And that's why i find this tour so disappointing. It's almost inconceivable that I won't be going to a European show this summer-- almost heartbreaking as a diehard fan- for that's surely what we all are otherwise we wouldn't be wasting our time on fans forums. Reckon it will be the next Aussie tour before I will see them again--coming to get you, BobaFett! Although it's looking less likely that this will be happening in the near future, sadly--bang goes my vacation plans for next year :-)Hopefully the setlist will have evolved by then. I think this has been the worst 1st leg of a U2 tour in living memory and it's hardly surprising this has been reflected in ticket sales.

Universally at Washington 1, the feedback was 'too serious' and 'boring' --from fans from all eras--80's, 90's and noughties. The narrative sucks, and is an exercise in Bono's megalomania when there is so so much more to be saying about the world today from a band that has sought to carve a reputation for that kind of thing ( although it's only ever been about the music for me). Although TBH, if the songs were of a much higher standard, it wouldn't matter. The atmosphere in the Irish pub after the gig was 1000x better than at the gig itself--and of course the 1st 3 songs they played were AOH, Streets, & Pride.

wons-- I can assure you that I have been to more gigs in my life than you have had angry posts on this forum! And I politely suggest you temper the overly-aggressive tone of your posts before somebody on here tears you a new a-hole :-) And I go to gigs to see the band and listen to the music--not with a view to posting reviews-- comments like that make you look as bright as 3 in the morning (although if you are Icelandic, that's going to make you super-bright at this time of year!)  Re the setlist having 14 songs over 11 albums-- that does not make a great set list --it depends on what songs are played and how they play them. But your comments did make me do a bit of research on the excellent U2tours page on this site.

I thought and still do that SoI is the 2nd worst U2 album--but that tour had some of the best shows I've ever seen them play. Glasgow2 is in my top 3 of all time. I was fortunate enough to see them 6 x on last tour. Every setlist was different. Vancouver 1 & 2 differed by 6 songs. The 2 in MSG by 5 songs. Glasgow 1&2 by 4 songs. Plus the first 'sung' Fly at the intermission. So keeping it fresh- especially for the die-hard fan that goes to more than one gig per tour and bases vacations around them. Plus the advent of a truly ground-breaking stage setup. And the best indoor sound I had ever heard at MSG2  ( maybe just the location in arena in Washington made for bad sound but was really muffled). This tour has had none of that-- just a carbon copy of I&E with inferior setlist substitutions. And that is why there are poor ticket sales, and lack of atmosphere at gigs. This tour is not, Mr Edge, for the die hard fan- sadly!

Although u2tours will say they have played 32 songs on this leg--a bit misleading as have settled on a 24 song setlist with one rotation. 5 have been played once, and the augmented reality one doesn't count. On I&E they ended up playing 53 songs in the course of the tour, 360 tour 62 songs, Vertigo(HTDAAB)  57 , Elevation (ATYCLB) 49 etc. Sadly, I don't think this tour will go on for long enough to see a real evolution in setlists.

Hopefully the European leg will see a much needed shake up of the setlist and the atmosphere will be a lot better , given that most of the dates are sold out, and Euro crowds are generally more 'up for it' than the popcorn-chewing, soda-drinking, earplug-wearing, carpark-fretting US crowds-- a gentle dig but hey, that's my personal experience of a sizeable proportion of the audiences at larger US gigs. GA definitely place to be in US venues.

But it is great that U2 can still please some of their audience with new material, despite the bar being set a lot lower in terms of quality.

That last line is quite smug and patronising