Author Topic: **SPOILERS** This is the worst U2 show ever and this is why  (Read 1782 times)

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
Re: **SPOILERS** This is the worst U2 show ever and this is why
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2018, 07:30:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
100% AGREE. (except on the sound - I though Joe O'H did his job).

New album is terrible, and so on.

I suppose I am happy for those who love every single thing the band ever does, and I also appreciate those who like myself who have loved this band for many, many years and have no "loyalty" to a crap tour supporting a boring album.

One other thing - where is the uproar about the Edge's tassels - if that is not a sign of the apocalypse, then I don't know what is? 1980s Jon Bon Jovi wants his outfit back.

Amen to that! Musical taste is completely subjective and it's absolutely ok to have a different opinion to others on this or any other forum. Nobody needs to bash anyone over the head because of a difference in opinion. And believe me, I have passionately defended this band to many of my friends ( and still do) over the years. And that's why i find this tour so disappointing. It's almost inconceivable that I won't be going to a European show this summer-- almost heartbreaking as a diehard fan- for that's surely what we all are otherwise we wouldn't be wasting our time on fans forums. Reckon it will be the next Aussie tour before I will see them again--coming to get you, BobaFett! Although it's looking less likely that this will be happening in the near future, sadly--bang goes my vacation plans for next year :-)Hopefully the setlist will have evolved by then. I think this has been the worst 1st leg of a U2 tour in living memory and it's hardly surprising this has been reflected in ticket sales.

Universally at Washington 1, the feedback was 'too serious' and 'boring' --from fans from all eras--80's, 90's and noughties. The narrative sucks, and is an exercise in Bono's megalomania when there is so so much more to be saying about the world today from a band that has sought to carve a reputation for that kind of thing ( although it's only ever been about the music for me). Although TBH, if the songs were of a much higher standard, it wouldn't matter. The atmosphere in the Irish pub after the gig was 1000x better than at the gig itself--and of course the 1st 3 songs they played were AOH, Streets, & Pride.

wons-- I can assure you that I have been to more gigs in my life than you have had angry posts on this forum! And I politely suggest you temper the overly-aggressive tone of your posts before somebody on here tears you a new a-hole :-) And I go to gigs to see the band and listen to the music--not with a view to posting reviews-- comments like that make you look as bright as 3 in the morning (although if you are Icelandic, that's going to make you super-bright at this time of year!)  Re the setlist having 14 songs over 11 albums-- that does not make a great set list --it depends on what songs are played and how they play them. But your comments did make me do a bit of research on the excellent U2tours page on this site.

I thought and still do that SoI is the 2nd worst U2 album--but that tour had some of the best shows I've ever seen them play. Glasgow2 is in my top 3 of all time. I was fortunate enough to see them 6 x on last tour. Every setlist was different. Vancouver 1 & 2 differed by 6 songs. The 2 in MSG by 5 songs. Glasgow 1&2 by 4 songs. Plus the first 'sung' Fly at the intermission. So keeping it fresh- especially for the die-hard fan that goes to more than one gig per tour and bases vacations around them. Plus the advent of a truly ground-breaking stage setup. And the best indoor sound I had ever heard at MSG2  ( maybe just the location in arena in Washington made for bad sound but was really muffled). This tour has had none of that-- just a carbon copy of I&E with inferior setlist substitutions. And that is why there are poor ticket sales, and lack of atmosphere at gigs. This tour is not, Mr Edge, for the die hard fan- sadly!

Although u2tours will say they have played 32 songs on this leg--a bit misleading as have settled on a 24 song setlist with one rotation. 5 have been played once, and the augmented reality one doesn't count. On I&E they ended up playing 53 songs in the course of the tour, 360 tour 62 songs, Vertigo(HTDAAB)  57 , Elevation (ATYCLB) 49 etc. Sadly, I don't think this tour will go on for long enough to see a real evolution in setlists.

Hopefully the European leg will see a much needed shake up of the setlist and the atmosphere will be a lot better , given that most of the dates are sold out, and Euro crowds are generally more 'up for it' than the popcorn-chewing, soda-drinking, earplug-wearing, carpark-fretting US crowds-- a gentle dig but hey, that's my personal experience of a sizeable proportion of the audiences at larger US gigs. GA definitely place to be in US venues.

But it is great that U2 can still please some of their audience with new material, despite the bar being set a lot lower in terms of quality.

That last line is quite smug and patronising

I'm sorry if you read it as that-- it wasn't intended to be. If U2's new music attracts new fans, then all the better--but for me, musically they are on the lowest rung of an illustrious career ladder.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

I suppose I am happy for those who love every single thing the band ever does, and I also appreciate those who like myself who have loved this band for many, many years and have no "loyalty" to a crap tour supporting a boring album.

One other thing - where is the uproar about the Edge's tassels - if that is not a sign of the apocalypse, then I don't know what is? 1980s Jon Bon Jovi wants his outfit back.

Amen to that! Musical taste is completely subjective and it's absolutely ok to have a different opinion to others on this or any other forum. Nobody needs to bash anyone over the head because of a difference in opinion. And believe me, I have passionately defended this band to many of my friends ( and still do) over the years. And that's why i find this tour so disappointing. It's almost inconceivable that I won't be going to a European show this summer-- almost heartbreaking as a diehard fan- for that's surely what we all are otherwise we wouldn't be wasting our time on fans forums. Reckon it will be the next Aussie tour before I will see them again--coming to get you, BobaFett! Although it's looking less likely that this will be happening in the near future, sadly--bang goes my vacation plans for next year :-)Hopefully the setlist will have evolved by then. I think this has been the worst 1st leg of a U2 tour in living memory and it's hardly surprising this has been reflected in ticket sales.

Universally at Washington 1, the feedback was 'too serious' and 'boring' --from fans from all eras--80's, 90's and noughties. The narrative sucks, and is an exercise in Bono's megalomania when there is so so much more to be saying about the world today from a band that has sought to carve a reputation for that kind of thing ( although it's only ever been about the music for me). Although TBH, if the songs were of a much higher standard, it wouldn't matter. The atmosphere in the Irish pub after the gig was 1000x better than at the gig itself--and of course the 1st 3 songs they played were AOH, Streets, & Pride.

wons-- I can assure you that I have been to more gigs in my life than you have had angry posts on this forum! And I politely suggest you temper the overly-aggressive tone of your posts before somebody on here tears you a new a-hole :-) And I go to gigs to see the band and listen to the music--not with a view to posting reviews-- comments like that make you look as bright as 3 in the morning (although if you are Icelandic, that's going to make you super-bright at this time of year!)  Re the setlist having 14 songs over 11 albums-- that does not make a great set list --it depends on what songs are played and how they play them. But your comments did make me do a bit of research on the excellent U2tours page on this site.

I thought and still do that SoI is the 2nd worst U2 album--but that tour had some of the best shows I've ever seen them play. Glasgow2 is in my top 3 of all time. I was fortunate enough to see them 6 x on last tour. Every setlist was different. Vancouver 1 & 2 differed by 6 songs. The 2 in MSG by 5 songs. Glasgow 1&2 by 4 songs. Plus the first 'sung' Fly at the intermission. So keeping it fresh- especially for the die-hard fan that goes to more than one gig per tour and bases vacations around them. Plus the advent of a truly ground-breaking stage setup. And the best indoor sound I had ever heard at MSG2  ( maybe just the location in arena in Washington made for bad sound but was really muffled). This tour has had none of that-- just a carbon copy of I&E with inferior setlist substitutions. And that is why there are poor ticket sales, and lack of atmosphere at gigs. This tour is not, Mr Edge, for the die hard fan- sadly!

Although u2tours will say they have played 32 songs on this leg--a bit misleading as have settled on a 24 song setlist with one rotation. 5 have been played once, and the augmented reality one doesn't count. On I&E they ended up playing 53 songs in the course of the tour, 360 tour 62 songs, Vertigo(HTDAAB)  57 , Elevation (ATYCLB) 49 etc. Sadly, I don't think this tour will go on for long enough to see a real evolution in setlists.

Hopefully the European leg will see a much needed shake up of the setlist and the atmosphere will be a lot better , given that most of the dates are sold out, and Euro crowds are generally more 'up for it' than the popcorn-chewing, soda-drinking, earplug-wearing, carpark-fretting US crowds-- a gentle dig but hey, that's my personal experience of a sizeable proportion of the audiences at larger US gigs. GA definitely place to be in US venues.

But it is great that U2 can still please some of their audience with new material, despite the bar being set a lot lower in terms of quality.

I'm sorry if you read it as that-- it wasn't intended to be. If U2's new music attracts new fans, then all the better--but for me, musically they are on the lowest rung of an illustrious career ladder.

I'm not a new fan. Been a fan for over 20 years.

I don't go looking for a deeper cause, sound or meaning in songs. If they hit me, that's all that matters to me. I love the last two albums.

People for some strange reason can't quite grasp that no one is going to reach Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby levels again. Not even them!

If their music still sends a message to an individual and changes that person's mindset/outlook or inspires them, they're just as relevant as anyone else

Offline hotty375

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »

I don't go looking for a deeper cause, sound or meaning in songs. If they hit me, that's all that matters to me. I love the last two albums.

People for some strange reason can't quite grasp that no one is going to reach Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby levels again. Not even them!

If their music still sends a message to an individual and changes that person's mindset/outlook or inspires them, they're just as relevant as anyone else

True, but only to that person. And of course to reach the peaks of JT/ AB isn't going to happen again! However, SoE in particular is a creative nadir for U2 and again (for those that can't grasp it)-only IMHO! Your opinion is different--that's fine with me. We all get different things from music, be it U2's or any other bands we like. I've got absolutely no interest in Bono's narrative-- but i am looking for a decent guitar riff/ sound/solo and maybe something lyrically relevant to my life occasionally. At least SoI had some decent stuff ( Miracle--not the best tune but a good chorus, and clever lyric--,RBW, Troubles, EBW --again maybe sonically not the best but a good song, Sleep like a baby--and thats about it) but this album is a turkey--horrible horrible production, zero guitar of note ( again!), and a bit of a lyrical and melodical backwater--but again, only in my opinion. So we agree to disagree  ;)

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »

True, but only to that person. And of course to reach the peaks of JT/ AB isn't going to happen again! However, SoE in particular is a creative nadir for U2 and again (for those that can't grasp it)-only IMHO! Your opinion is different--that's fine with me. We all get different things from music, be it U2's or any other bands we like. I've got absolutely no interest in Bono's narrative-- but i am looking for a decent guitar riff/ sound/solo and maybe something lyrically relevant to my life occasionally. At least SoI had some decent stuff ( Miracle--not the best tune but a good chorus, and clever lyric--,RBW, Troubles, EBW --again maybe sonically not the best but a good song, Sleep like a baby--and thats about it) but this album is a turkey--horrible horrible production, zero guitar of note ( again!), and a bit of a lyrical and melodical backwater--but again, only in my opinion. So we agree to disagree  ;)

Lights Of Home, YTBTAM, GOOYOW, AS, Summer Of Love, RFD, The Little Things, The Blackout all have guitar audible