Author Topic: What bands are the worst offenders when it comes to playing the same setlist?  (Read 551 times)

gasface257

I'm asking about bands that have very little variation in not only the set list but the same order.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
Don't follow enough band's on-going set lists to comment, but i would imagine a lot of established groups play the hits over and over again.  i know people rag on U2 for their established set lists but i don't think the band is thinking about the fans to go to multiple shows each tour when they put the songs together.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
About the only one I might be able to compare them to are Depeche Mode, who I believe also rely on a pretty static setlist.

However, I tend not to think this is as terrible a thing as some others do.  I think these shows, by and large, are intended to be viewed once.  (They certainly seemed PRICED to be viewed just once, to me.)  They might not be a "real" rock show as you'd have in a club, but that's something that comes with bigger acts and reliance on more and more technology and visuals.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't follow enough band's on-going set lists to comment, but i would imagine a lot of established groups play the hits over and over again.  i know people rag on U2 for their established set lists but i don't think the band is thinking about the fans to go to multiple shows each tour when they put the songs together.

Exactly.  They play multiple stops in certain cities because there are enough people to play to to fill those arenas 2, 3 or 4 times.  They're not intended to play to the same fans multiple times, though of course that will happen, too.  Hence, you get a mostly static setlist with a few songs switched out.

gasface257

Going back several tours, U2 has played a very wide variety of songs. Some bands just have the same setlist year after year with almost little variation.

Ozzy has either started with I Don’t Know or Bark at the Moon and almost ended every show with Paranoid. All the other songs played are in a formularic setlist.

Even the Stones have more or less stuck to the same setlist.

Offline kevtn43

• Headache in a Suitcase
This is easy kiss for one they play the greatest hits all the time, and motley crue that's what broke the band up

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
I'm asking about bands that have very little variation in not only the set list but the same order.

Pretty much every band playing at the arena level does that. Bands that have a lot of variation every night are few and far between, REM (at least back in the '80s) and Bruce Springsteen being two. Hell, Rush used to do the EXACT SAME SHOW from tour beginning to tour end for pretty much their entire career until the Snakes And Arrows tour in 2007-08.

gasface257

Pretty much every band playing at the arena level does that. Bands that have a lot of variation every night are few and far between, REM (at least back in the '80s) and Bruce Springsteen being two. Hell, Rush used to do the EXACT SAME SHOW from tour beginning to tour end for pretty much their entire career until the Snakes And Arrows tour in 2007-08.

I'm talking year after year rather than just tour.  I know most bands stick to the same set for a tour, but some bands just do the same set for years, in the same order. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Here's one relevant to this topic: I just saw Radiohead this weekend.  (5th time I've seen them, but the first time in ten years, which is a depressing realization.)  It was the second of two shows in Chicago, and I knew nothing about the other show.  It was a good show, but I was really surprised at how few of the "warhorses" they played.  I kind of missed seeing Paranoid Android, and There There.  No Surprises would have been nice.

I checked the setlists afterwards, and find that all of those were played the previous night.  In fact, of the 25 songs that were played each night, 18 (!!!) were unique, and not played at the other show.  And it turns out they played one track from Pablo Honey the previous night, which we didn't get, as well as Let Down, possibly my all-time favorite song of theirs.  I totally respect the fact that they had so much material ready to go and could switch things out, but there's not much doubt in my mind that the previous setlist was probably better.  Such is the risk with bands who shake up their setlists.

Offline Marwood

• Stateless
Depeche Mode - can be relied on to wheel out Enjoy The Silence, Never Let Me Down Again and Personal Jesus at the end of their shows - last time I saw them, I left the second they started on Personal Jesus, they really need to put those three to rest for a very long time.